Hi, my BIS keeps disconnecting randomly and it only started doing this today and never before. And if some of u are wondering what i'm referring to is the BB logo beside the 3G on the top right. What it does is that it disappears for a minute or so causing the page rendering or anything that is using the internet connection to hang till its connected again and it does this quit often. I know some of u are think that I should contact my carrier but I thought it would be better to know if this is a common issue and i'm hoping i'm not the only one. Btw i'm with Fido, Rogers sister network which both use the same network. Thanks for your help and concern guys. Cheers!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by luqman24; 09-15-10 at 08:11 PM.
    09-15-10 08:05 PM
    I am having the same problem.
    Last edited by ligh7ning; 01-16-11 at 10:20 AM.
    11-13-10 02:59 AM
    Do you still disconnect from BIS if you switch from 3G to EDGE? If I drop BIS in 3G, I usually am able to maintain the connection by switching to EDGE.
    11-13-10 03:02 AM
    I have switched my network connection from 3G to 2G and my phone says that it is connected to BIS but there is no BlackBerry logo in the top corner of the screen. Is the BlackBerry logo meant to be displayed when the phone is on EDGE? I will keep it on EDGE for a few days and report back. Your help with this matter is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ligh7ning; 01-16-11 at 10:24 AM.
    11-13-10 04:37 PM
    I have tried manually switching my network from 3G to EDGE and my phone says that it is connected to BIS. Even Viigo and XE update using BIS but there is no BlackBerry logo next to the service bars (is that normal as well?). I will keep it on EDGE for a few days and report back. Is it possible to have full 3G service and BIS to disconnect? Also, is the BlackBerry logo meant to show up next to the reception meter when the phone is on EDGE? Your help with this matter is greatly appreciated.
    You will not see the BlackBerry logo when you are on EDGE, but you will be connected to BIS. BIS is disconnected if you see 3G with no BlackBerry logo.

3G with BB logo beside it = 3G connection and BIS is connected and working
    3G with no BB logo beside it = no BIS connectivity or you don't pay for the plan.
    EDGE = edge connection with BIS support
    edge = edge connection with no BIS support
    GSM = basic cellular service
    11-13-10 06:05 PM
    I'm with Rogers and my INTERNET BROWSING has been wonky. Not always working, was told to re-inst the software, still having the same issue and am SO frustrated.
    11-14-10 02:17 AM
    Thank you very much for your help . I am a BlackBerry noob (obviously) but am loving my 9700.

BIS hasn't disconnected singe I locked my phone to 2G. Why does the BIS connection drop out when the BlackBerry still has 4-5 bars of 3G reception and why does it sometimes not automatically reconnect?
    Last edited by ligh7ning; 01-16-11 at 10:27 AM.
    11-14-10 02:28 AM
    Thank you so much for your help I am a BlackBerry noob (obviously) and am loving my 9700 way better than my iPhone.

My EDGE connection has been on all night and BIS hasn't disconnected. I will keep my phone on EDGE for a couple more days to see if the connection is sustained. I guess I am just used to the iPhone where you either have a 3G connection or you don't. There is no separate data connection. Why can the BIS connection drop out when the BlackBerry still has 4-5 bars of 3G reception and why does is sometimes not automatically reconnect?
    Sometimes the signal will drop from 3G to EDGE and the handoff is not smooth, so the connection is just lost rather than switching from 3G to EDGE like it should. This sometimes happens if you are in an area where the 3G signal is somewhat weak.

I'm glad it did help you. It was a good question, not at all "noobish".
    11-14-10 02:39 AM
    I have the same issue, I'm in Italy and my carrier is Vodafone.
    I noticed that my 9700 with OS6 disconnects from BIS when I use a Google App..being it Maps or Google Mobile App, it doesn't really matter, everytime I start them, I lose the BIS logo,when I close them from the full menu I get BIS back in a matter of second..I had no problem with my other apps..Opera Mini,scoremobile,facebook,twitter etc etc just to name a few..
    Could the reason be that they still have to develop apps specifically for OS6?? Would a disinstallation/reinstallation of aforementioned google apps useful or shoul I just wait for an upgrade?? Thanks guys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-10 07:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD