A quick google search showed that this problem has happened to countless Torch users, but I'm still not able to find a solution for it! Wondering if anyone else has experienced it and found another solution?

About a month ago my Torch randomly stopped connecting to BIS over AT&T. I have horrible signal in my apartment in NYC and always have my Torch connected to wifi when I'm home. The problem could've started then, but I had no way of knowing at connecting to BiS over wifi has given me no problems whatsoever. It was only during the day when I should've received about 20 emails and instead received none that I realized something was up. After a bit of research I found out the meaning of not having the Blackberry logo next to the signal bars - I wasn't connected to BIS.

I've had a Blackbberry for about 4 years now, so I've had my share of problems and knew about sending service books, pulling out the battery, alt+shift+del reset, host routing table, everything. Tried them all with no luck. I called AT&T, was on the phone for hours, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong either. (I should also say that making phone calls and receiving text messages was completely fine.) I finally tried putting my sim card to my old Bold 9700 and everything worked seamlessly! Tried putting it back into the Torch, and the same problem persisted. This meant the problem lies with my Torch and not AT&T, and, having no other ideas of how to solve this, I decided to wipe it. Thankfully, everything worked fine again after the wipe.

Then yesterday, the same thing happened again! I can't think of anything out of the ordinary that I had done, except perhaps doing the alt+shift+del reset. But this surely can't have been the catalyst.

While yes, previously wiping the Blackberry solved the issue, having to reset all my ringtones, add all my bbm groups again (which is very stressful and for some reason cant be synced with desktop manager?? The progress bar completely freezes when trying to do so, and this has happened with multiple blackberries on multiple computers) isn't something I want to do unless I ABSOLUTELY have to. Especially if this could randomly happen again in a month. The prospect of doing this monthly is horrifying.

Does anyone have any other solutions? And perhaps know what causes this problem? While I've had other issues with my previous Blackberries, this has never happened on my Curve, Bold 9000 or 9700 - let alone the same problem twice on the same phone!
    02-18-11 09:42 AM
    what applications are you using besides BBM? when you did the device wipe did you install the apps back on your device? what OS version are you running on your 9800?
    Last edited by tbird; 02-18-11 at 09:52 AM.
    02-18-11 09:48 AM
    The 3rd party apps I have installed are facebook, bank of America, whatsapp, google maps and kindle.

When I did the wipe i didn't mean to keep my apps but somehow they all survived the wipe. They all moved from the downloads page/folder to the main page/folder though.

I'm running OS v6.0.0.141
    02-18-11 10:05 AM
    Upgrade your OS the latest official OS 6.0.0.448
    02-18-11 10:20 AM
    Will try and see if that fixes the problem. I'm guessing it's the same thing if I update via desktop manager?
    02-18-11 10:35 AM
    follow these instructions

Originally Posted by jeffreii
    Plug in your phone and use Desktop Manager 6.0 (DM) to make a backup of your device. Also make sure your BBM backup settings are enabled - registered email for remote backup and do a local backup too just in case - look in BBM options.

Close DM and:

Uninstall any OLD BlackBerry OS versions from your computer if you have them. You can find your installed programs in Windows by going to control panel/programs and features. You're looking for "BlackBerry Device Software".

Install .448 to your computer. This means you double click on the OS.exe file that you downloaded and let Windows install it.

C:\program files(86)\common files\research in motion\apploader\

From there delete vendor.xml, if it's there, then run loader.exe

Follow the instructions - make sure you look closely at the list of items that have or do not have check marks next to them so you install what you want and don't install what you don't want.

When the popup asks if it should make a backup of your device and restore your 3rd party apps, it should be selected to do it. Do not change it.

Wait about 15-20 minutes for the process to complete and your phone to reboot completely before disconnecting
    02-18-11 10:39 AM
    Will try and see if that fixes the problem. I'm guessing it's the same thing if I update via desktop manager?
    it will fix your problem...
    02-18-11 10:42 AM
    I was having some issues as well but it turned out to be a problem with a theme i was running and an app. It was set to automatic to detect network connection and for some reason it wouldn't go to BIS. The theme builder use to have that issue so the only way to know was checking the connection status. But definitely you need to upgrade. I think both .337 and .448 solved that issue. .246 was still having the same issue.
    02-18-11 10:58 AM
    Thanks for the step by step info, but I own a Mac and don't know where to go to delete the old device software.
    02-18-11 11:06 AM
    You don't need to delete the old software if you use apploader. Go to Blackberry help tab. Then scroll down to "more BB 101 lectures" and click it. Go to BB How to Lectures and then go to BB OS Help and select the last one, "How to upgrade your BB OS using Apploader". Its really simple and clear. You download to desktop, then go from there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by newcollector; 02-18-11 at 11:48 AM.
    02-18-11 11:36 AM
    Ok so two things. I downloaded the 448 from the above link, but am not sure how to open exe files. Anyway, I plugged the Torch into desktop manager, where it prompted me to update the software. Followed the steps, and it's just finished. However it installed 246 not 448. This seems to have fixed the problem, but as elmejor1009 said above, 246 may not solve the problem. How can I get the update for 448?

Second thing, what is app loader?

Thanks for the help guys!
    02-18-11 12:02 PM
    there are two OS downloads ta choose from that link, .246 and .448 you downloaded .246

.246 will also solve your BIS issue...its a very good build....448 had some bug fixes and added features, most importantly it fixed the sms bug.
    02-18-11 01:42 PM
    I downloaded the 448 though. It says so in my downloads window from Safari browser. But as I mentioned above, all I've done is download it. An exe file just opens in Text Edit with a bunch of symbols.

Incidentally, since the update, a twitter app appeared in my menu. After selecting delete, the loading symbol (equivalent of the hourglass on PCs) appeared while it was deleting. Then without prompting, the blackberry restarted itself, and now every now and again the loading symbol comes up for a couple of seconds even when I try to do the simplest things. Like opening a bbm conversation. Help?
    02-18-11 05:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD