My company does not allow in any shape or form any personal BB to be added to their BES server. I wanted to receive my work email on my BB as well as sync my outlook calender also to my BB. So I setup my BB using BIS and my company's OWA and now I can can get my work email (somewhat delayed) on my BB and manually sync my BB to my desktop's outlook calender via a cable and DTM. My provider is AT&T.

Questions:
    1. If I stick with my present setup, right now my desktop always receives my work email faster than my BB. Sometime this delay seems to be as long as 15 min. Is there any way to receiive my work email on my BB faster (i.e. at or near the same time as my desktop)?

2. If I switch to using an outside BES (obviously not my works), could I get my BB to sync to my desktop's Outlook calender OTA?

3. If I switch to using an outside BES, would my work email arrive faster to my BB?

4. Is there a difference between an outside pay per month BES service provider, the BES that AT&T offers and the BESX service that RIM is rumored to be possibly be offering (as described here) for free?

Thanks
    02-15-10 03:24 AM
    1. No, AFAIK this is the way BIS works. It polls at 15 minute intervals. If you have mail it goes to every 3 minutes as long as there's activity and then reverts to 15 minutes after some period of inactivity. However, gmail and yahoo are processed almost immediately.

Since your desktop receives the email right away, you could try a forwarding rule in OWA to a gmail or yahoo account and then you should receive it a lot faster.
    02-15-10 05:13 AM
    1. No, as FOnage said that's the way BIS works
    2. I don't think that hosted BES providers take individual accounts, I also think they need access to the Exchanged server in question, which your company probably won't allow.
    3. Probably yes, but see above
    4. Hosted BES providers will give you a fuller experience, What ATT provides is a BIS (which is e-mail only). BESX is a rumor, so I'm not going to comment.
    02-15-10 12:04 PM
    1) If your work will allow it a bounce (usually the IT people have to set this up) to your berry address will be almost instant delivery. Downside is to reply and have it look like your work email you need to setup the reply-to field of your berry address to be your work email. Big pain and has it's pros and cons. The OWA method obviously does also.

2) an external BES account will likely rate you nothing as the would need to be able to communicate with your companies exchange server and I doubt they will let that happen.

3) see above

4) I guess we will have to wait and see. Likely it still will not mesh completely with your work email as that is your companies internal server and you need access to sync.

Be happy you can use the OWA method, my work has a double authentication scenario to make sure no one can do that!
    02-15-10 12:15 PM
    1) If your work will allow it a bounce (usually the IT people have to set this up) to your berry address will be almost instant delivery. Downside is to reply and have it look like your work email you need to setup the reply-to field of your berry address to be your work email. Big pain and has it's pros and cons. The OWA method obviously does also.

2) an external BES account will likely rate you nothing as the would need to be able to communicate with your companies exchange server and I doubt they will let that happen.

3) see above

4) I guess we will have to wait and see. Likely it still will not mesh completely with your work email as that is your companies internal server and you need access to sync.

Be happy you can use the OWA method, my work has a double authentication scenario to make sure no one can do that!

I receive my work e-mails in the manner described above. My company issues T-Mo Blackberrys (8830) for email only. In order that I not have to carry two devices I do the following:

My company uses Lotus Notes on a BES, however I can create a rule in Notes that bcc my vzw.blackberry.net address (BIS) immediately after messages hit my Notes inbox. My reply to address from the vzw.blackberry.net address is my Notes address so that replies made by me are "from" the Notes address. Any replies I make are also bcc to my Notes inbox so that I can clear them from my Blackberry but archive them in Notes.
    02-15-10 12:30 PM
    I receive my work e-mails in the manner described above. My company issues T-Mo Blackberrys (8830) for email only. In order that I not have to carry two devices I do the following:

My company uses Lotus Notes on a BES, however I can create a rule in Notes that bcc my vzw.blackberry.net address (BIS) immediately after messages hit my Notes inbox. My reply to address from the vzw.blackberry.net address is my Notes address so that replies made by me are "from" the Notes address. Any replies I make are also bcc to my Notes inbox so that I can clear them from my Blackberry but archive them in Notes.

Exact setup I used at a previous job.
    02-15-10 12:32 PM
    Thanks for the info...

One other thing is that Iphone users at my work are some how able to sync their outlook calenders to their iphones through the OWA yet BB users can't. What a shame.
    02-16-10 09:23 AM
    I was having same issues and worked with Verizon tech support and then Blackberry tech support:

Verizon tech just sent me to Blackberry tech support who confirmed that their server is set up to "search" for emails and push them every 20 minutes, and that any delay up to that point was perfectly normal. WOW!

A 20 minute delay in getting an email from when it comes to your computers' in-box doesn't seem right when IPhone, Palm, Droids are all close to "real time".
    02-16-10 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD