I've recently bought a BB Curve 8520 Rogers Provided.

I bought it from someone, it was BNIB phone and when I tried to setup my email accounts; it only has one menu which is:

'register email account via blackberry enterprise server'

doesn't this mean this phone is BES phone?
    because I don't belong to any company I'm just using this phone myself

is there anyway to use this phone as a BIS phone?
    because i think it only supports BES users, when I just check up my email setup.
    01-23-10 01:29 PM
    If you bought it from someone they were likely to be on a BES, search the forums on how to take it back to factory default.
    01-23-10 01:33 PM
    It sounds like the phone was used, or was attempted to be used, on a BES. You should not get that message from a brand new phone. Phones aren't sold by the carriers as BES vs BIS phones. Any phone can be either. I would return it and buy a known new phone from a legitimate store.
    01-23-10 01:37 PM
    Also, be sure that you have a BlackBerry Data Plan.

You will not get the Personal Email Setup option without the proper data plan.
    01-23-10 02:10 PM
    I am trying to get disconnected from the BES at work and go to strickly the BIS as email is all i really need from work anyway. But the IT guy is telling me that in order for the BIS to work there has to be a computer on all the time?? does this make sense to anyone?
    02-01-10 10:32 AM
    BIS does require a computer to be on all the time. Specifically, a computer that is operated by the mobile network carrier :P
    02-01-10 10:39 AM
    BIS does require a computer to be on all the time. Specifically, a computer that is operated by the mobile network carrier :P
    so it has nothing to do with a work computer?? i think he's giving me the run around. I just want my personal BB off the work BES.
    02-01-10 10:43 AM
    BIS does not require your work computer to be on at any time. Maybe he's thinking of some kind of forwarding system.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-10 11:36 AM
    Great thanks! any thoughts on getting off the BES from my phone?
    02-01-10 01:53 PM
    Great thanks! any thoughts on getting off the BES from my phone?
    You can use the technique created by Pete6 and described in this procedure: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/remo...y-phone-81401/

It's been used successfully many times.
    02-01-10 01:58 PM
    okay thanks! if i keep getting a hassle from the IT guy i will do this.
    02-01-10 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD