Hi All

This is my first post though I have been an avid "searcher" of CB for aaaaages!

Ok so forgive the localisation of my post but I am pretty sure that this is something that is different per network/region.

My question is in two parts;

I am an Orange UK BB user on a BIS data plan. I have searched and searched and come across posts that say you can have one free BES CAL which is mainly true, but only if your network allows you access to BES, right?
    After contacting Orange they advise me that I can only have BES for 10 or more connections - so why the 1 free BES from BlackBerry??? pretty useless?!

Secondly; this part of my post is a bit deeper and perhaps more important.
    If I cant have BES on my account and must continue to use BIS, thats fine - but I have the problem where I dont want to continuously have to sort emails at a later date - I want my BB to basically be my mobile email office, so I'd really like to be able to put certain emails into certain folders on the handset without necessarily doing this later on webmail. I never really want to have to use webmail.
    After much searching it would appear that the only way to do this is BES, but is there an app that integrates with the messaging app to create new folders other than the standard "INBOX" and "SPAM"?

Prior to being a fully fledged BB-BIS user I had the pleasure of stumbling accross Shangmail, which gave me near-realtime push email without the data plan, and also integrated with the native messaging app, so im hoping that other apps are able to do this...

Any help/insight would be diamond as this is the one thing that would truly transform the way I use my BB.
    04-12-09 07:47 AM
    Does anyone have ANY info on this? Even if its just a polite pointer in the right direction?!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-09 04:22 AM
    Hi there,

Well I am pretty noob, but I'll try to help anyway. I understand that you want a BES access because you want to do what you discribe in the second part of your post. Have I got that right?

I too did not find a way to file messages like I was used to do on most of my other Smartphones. You would like to sort your mails before you get at your desk. Now I have done a bit of searching on this myself, and could not find an according option. Which puzzles me, since the BB is a 100 % e-mailing machine.

My conclusion so far is that it is not possible for to do this on a BIS and that the story you heard about 1 BES adress being given away for free by BB is BS. BES is for Enterprise use only like your Orange representative said.

But loke I said I am noob (one week int BB - but Smartphones since 2000) and may have it all wrong.

04-13-09 04:50 AM
    I just love how those abbreviations come together. ;-)

04-13-09 04:51 AM
    Hi there

You guessed right! I also could do with the added functionality of the syncin of contacts and calendar but ill leave that for now!

It does amaze me that the bb IS 100% emailing material but is really only a send/receive device. Granted send/receive in real time. But just one little feature is all I want! To file my messages in folders other than native!

04-13-09 05:02 AM
    As you pointed out, folder management options exist with BES. I don't know about the "one BES account" from RIM, but there are lots of BES hosting services - I don't have a link but Google is your friend - try "BlackBerry BES hosting". I have not looked into UK hosting services, though.

There have also been CrackBerry threads about using BIS IMAP accounts, which offer some folder functionality (no personal experience). For true folder integration, I expect you might need BES.

In RiM's defense, I imagine that the vast majority of BIS host email accounts do not support folder management and thus it is more a limitation of the email accounts.

04-13-09 08:22 AM
    At least I thought google was my friend....

Without sounding rude, unlike alot of people I wouldnt post a topic about it unless I had first exhausted all of my google efforts as well as searched around forums etc! So its safe to say the Blackberry BES Hosting search has been done along with all other combinations!

Its a little hard to sort of get this point across without confusing the situation... I would like BES and would be great if my first findings of the 1free BES were true... However...

My main "want" from this remains simple... I dont care if BIS doesnt do what BES does by way of delivering them to the BB in the respective folder, I merely want the option to do it myself so I can later locate a single message by knowing that when I received it I said "OK thats a message from so and so in Spain, Im gonna put that in Spain Clients Folder..."
    Then at a later date I know where it is... I realise the native search option could also be a way around this, but I really get fed up of searching sender or subject only to have dig through emails to find what I want...

I hope that makes sense! Any further assistance would be appreciated...
    For instance - within the native msg app, there are folder options "INBOX" and "SPAM" is there anyway at all to create new folders? an add on perhaps or some form of crack to enable it?

Thanks for your replies btw!

talk-to-frank
    04-13-09 08:39 AM
    I just love how those abbreviations come together. ;-)

LOL... yeah, too true in some ways...
    04-13-09 08:42 AM
    At least I thought google was my friend....

Without sounding rude, unlike alot of people I wouldnt post a topic about it unless I had first exhausted all of my google efforts as well as searched around forums etc! So its safe to say the Blackberry BES Hosting search has been done along with all other combinations!
    <snip>
    talk-to-frank
    I was just referring to a Google search on hosted BES services (which returned 682,000 hits just now), which I think may be the only option for what you want to do. But there are a lot of people here with specialized knowledge, and I'm hoping someone will be along with a 3rd-party app that can create and manage BIS folders. I personally do not know of such an app. Will follow along just in case - I have a corporate BES device but would like the same functionality for my BIS accounts.

04-13-09 09:20 AM
    I understand fully what you want and I'm sorry to say it's not possible. What orange told you is true they restruct the ports so even if you got a bes account from elsewhere and paid for it seperatley you would never be able to connect to it, I found this out the hard way. Having got through to second line data support on orange the guy admitted there was a way round the 10 people activation and that by fishing through diffrent customer servixe reps you might find one that would add it for you on a single phone, unfortunatley there was no way round the �35 charge per month for the service.

After finding that out I gave up on the sync stuff but later got onto ThinkPost Communications - Home and use their services to sync my contacts appointments tasks and note with outlook, I use a program called logicmail to get access to all my folders in an emergency (ie out on the road and need access to a stored e-mail) but unfortunatley the only single thing I have not got is the way of filing emails to folders, if your willing to do this manually then the rest you can sort.

May have helped you a little bit but if nothing else should save you more time searching.

04-13-09 11:19 AM
    At last! Without sounding like I wanted you to have these problems, I'm glad you went through it so I didn't have to!! Meant in the nicest of ways! I'm gutted this doesn't solve the problem, at least I know it can't be done. However.. The search will continue.. Ill keep you posted..

04-13-09 11:27 AM
    damn... just looked back at this post and shattered my own hopes again..
    04-14-09 08:00 AM
    just a post to keep this one ticking!

Also is there anyone out there with knowledge on developing this type of thing?
    04-16-09 10:37 AM
    Hi All...

Little update/maybe found something..

Browsing some different search terms on google I cam across an app called "eWorks" which is apparently an email client which looks like Outlook... The screenshots of it would lead me to believe that message folders can be created within the app and I just wanted to see if anyone had used it and could confirm this? Its about $30 to buy but I cant seem to find an OTA version of the trial so any info would be appreciated...

talk-to-frank
    04-16-09 01:11 PM
    Hi All...

Little update/maybe found something..

Browsing some different search terms on google I cam across an app called "eWorks" which is apparently an email client which looks like Outlook... The screenshots of it would lead me to believe that message folders can be created within the app and I just wanted to see if anyone had used it and could confirm this? Its about $30 to buy but I cant seem to find an OTA version of the trial so any info would be appreciated...

talk-to-frank
    not a bad app... but not something to resolve this issue... a little bit on the heavy side too in terms of app size and slows my bb down... still looking... have just installed BB Unite in the hope I can get a better understanding of possibilities....
    04-18-09 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD