Hi,

I am new to Blackberry devices. After a long struggle between iphone 3G and bold, I have decided to go get a bold tomorrow. I have read the posts with regards to BIS. It seems that there is no other alternative in getting mail pushed to the device for a lower cost. The monthly data plans that include BIS in Australia aren't exactly cheap. I was wondering if there is a solution for Blackberry comparable to Microsoft direct push. I use a MSN web-based email account.

iPhone has an easy setup with email that uses the data line only i.e. checks every 15min or so (or whenever you like), then syncs it with web-based email, like gmail. But this only works for gmail and yahoo. I know this will entail having GPRS on "always on mode" and may suck battery life. If there is no solution similar to Direct Push, is there an application that I can install that is similar to iphone system?

Thanks for your help.
    08-27-08 09:32 AM
    Regardless of which method you use, I believe you will still need a data plan to receive the mail from the push source. If you do not have a data plan, you will still pay for the bandwidth used to receive the mail messages.
    08-27-08 09:41 AM
    There are pobably some way around the BIS issues such as browsing to an ISP or work email account. This reduces the functionallity, since you are using the browser to look at email that is not set up for mobile browsing. Also, without a data plan, there will be line charges for browsing. So if you pay for data for the internet it should also include email.

Another option that may be available (it is for TMO) is email only, which is $9.99 US vs. $19.99 US for the full BB (is that like the Full Monty? ).
    08-27-08 10:31 AM
    BES & BIS is the Hallmark of Blackberry devices. There really is no workaround.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-08 11:01 AM
    I have to agree. A BB without BIS/BES is like having a broken BB. If you don't want to pay for the data plan, get a different phone and save the money.

08-27-08 01:55 PM
    *bump*

If anyone has any advice on the topic, please do post. I am keen to get a BB myself, but the BIS isn't available where I live, and BES is far to expensive (about 5K $USD) for my own usage. Outside of the US; the data plan and the BIS is sometimes separate, making it twice as expensive
    09-24-10 05:21 AM
    You can for example load the Opera Mini browser onto the BB and run it via wifi or the carrier APN settings (or both). If using the APN settings you would still require a generic data plan from your carrier to pay for data use. This should be cheaper than a blackberry plan.

You then need to find an app that would access the internet via wifi or APN for email, there used to be one but I cannot remember the name of it I'm afraid. It is unlikely to work as well as email on BIS though. Failing that you will need to acess your email online.

BIS is always better but there are options open to you without it

09-24-10 05:34 AM
    There are third party e-mail apps you can install that you can use with your BlackBerry. They aren't push, though. They will need to be running in the background (or when you want to check e-mail) and will poll for new e-mail. If kept running all the time, they may drain the battery faster. If you have wifi access, this might be an option.

Part of the beauty of BIS e-mail system is that it doesn't drain the battery much. Since e-mail is pushed to your device, it doesn't have to poll for e-mail. Plus, if you mainly use your data connection for e-mails and such, you won't actually use much data.
    09-24-10 09:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD