Hi guys, I am having some issues when trying to use my home WiFi network with my Bold 9900. I have an active BIS service and everything works great on my carrier's network but when I am connected only using the wifi network I have no BIS service.

I have read several posts over the Internet and didn't find anything useful. Even when I am on both the 3G network and on my wifi I recalled from my torch 9800 that beside the wifi's signal meter on the home screen used to appear the blackberry symbol or flag? And that meant that I was using wifi with my BIS service and on the 9900 that doesn't happen.

I did a wipe to my phone and tried again with no success. It's getting really frustrating because I can see using my router's admin page that the blackberry receive a valid IP address and that is connected to the router with no success.

I also have sent several times the service books from my carrier-blackberry admin website and nothing seems to solve it.

I would appreciate if someone comes with a solution to this annoying issue I am dealing with.

Thanks guys.
    01-30-12 11:50 AM
    You need to be connected to the data network to access BIS. If you are connected to both wifi and the data network then the device will connect securely using the data network. It will not connect over wifi alone.
    01-30-12 12:01 PM
    It sounds like you have a problem with your router. If it is a wireless N router, try setting it to B and G only. In the end you may just need to get a new router.

You could try connecting to another wifi and see if it works. If it works on another wifi source, it is definitely your router.

Another thing with BIS over wifi, is you still need your BIS activated sim card in the phone to get BIS over wifi, even if you have no cellular service in the area you are in or have turned off the cellular radio. I assume the phone needs the BIS activated sim card to connect to the carriers BIS, even over wifi. Some people get confused and think the BIS is associated with the PIN of the phone and can use a pay as you go card when traveling and still get BIS over wifi from their home carrier.
    01-30-12 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD