Hi All,

Blackberry Bold user, Croatian, Tele2 network, no BB data plan. I only have a measely 10MB plan (over gprs) which is enough for occasional email checking when I dont have a hotspot nearby.

Now, until now I had a HTC which had the option to connect through WiFi OR through 2G/3G/HSDPA protocols. I simply told it to connect how I wanted to (mostly over WiFi at home or in my office or at the airports) and I could normally use Internet explorer, Opera mini, Gmail app, and G search.

I got BB Bold and am having enormous problems with all this. Reading for hours on this and other forums and cant understand why does this device force me to use the data plan? Cant it simply use the available internet connection?

What I wish is the following:
    - GSM turned off, WiFi turned on and connected. (no charges for gprs traffic whatsoever, only my home internet provider)

1. email client for Gmail
    (not solved, I can open hotspot browser and go to m.gmail.com but thats not it)
    2. chat client for Gtalk
    (so far solved, I have EQO and it works both over one and the other turned on, dont know about this "sending SMS" thing, any advice on this? It sends chats as SMS?)
    3. Palringo - it seems nice but I am unable to use it. Keeps logging on forever if GSM turned off. If I turn it on, it connects to Palringo but Gtalk returns "brigding not allowed" or something like that.

Any help most appreciated. Thank you all
    Alex
    03-23-09 07:25 AM
    Certain apps don't work without a BB data plan because they take advantage of special features of BB data plans (service books), or they are simply programmed only to look for a connection through BIS/BES and not wifi. Blame Google. Sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 04:25 PM
    Yeah I hope google realizes that almost all of the new BB's are coming out with WIFI and they should of start putting that code into their apps. for gtalk try istango.. its the same idea as palringo but wifi support is alot better IMO.
    04-02-09 10:33 PM
    i think new palringo version -wifi supported , is soon to be released..stay tuned.
    04-03-09 03:53 AM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f100/wi...-wi-fi-193356/

its basically up to the developers i guess. but there really isn't much of an incentive for them since blackberries are assumed to go hand in hand with data plans. yes, i know this isn't always the case and i too had a bb at one point without a data plan, but i think u can agree the whole point of a blackberry is to have a data plan.
    Last edited by avmsam; 04-03-09 at 04:50 AM.
    04-03-09 04:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD