This what I call useful input. Why do you think they've filed such a patient?
    So that when some other company comes up with even a tangentially related idea, the former can sue the pants off of the latter.

Look at the rounded corners Samsung thing, or anything BlackBerry has done recently.
    09-09-16 04:31 PM
    Guys, this was an earlier post I made:

This is a proven point as companies tend to file for all sort of patents to keep them in their drawer. It's a strategic action that is very important for solidifying their competitive advantage. We're discussing what do we think about it.

In the end, of course not every single patent gets fired up eventually. A point that was stressed in the end of the article: "Before you get too excited about this concept, you should remember that technology described in patents isn’t always implemented in commercial products."
    I clearly understand that point, I was asking about any opinions out of the most common reason for filing patents. Why, other than locking it down. Why, other than the obvious. Because one wouldn't ask about the obvious, one would be boring. Why in relation to the S8. I mention the S8 in the headline and the article speaks extensively about it.
    09-09-16 04:42 PM
    Dual-boot phone

But the all important question: will it be able to send texts and make calls?!
    09-09-16 05:36 PM
    Yeah that point is already proven. I know they patent everything whether its useful to them or not. Some companies have tens of thousands of patents. What I mean is, patenting something like that in relation to the upcoming release of the S8. Why, other than locking it down. That's what I was asking. I personally think its highly unlikely to happen and from what I see, you think they're just locking down the patent for now, correct?
    Probably, but didn't ASUS or a Chinese phone company announce a dual boot Android and Windows phone a few years ago only to get shot down by Google? Maybe my memory is wrong.
    Sairos likes this.
    09-09-16 05:41 PM
    Probably, but didn't ASUS or a Chinese phone company announce a dual boot Android and Windows phone a few years ago only to get shot down by Google? Maybe my memory is wrong.
    No, your memory isn't wrong, just a little foggy. ASUS Transformer AiO P1801. It's a 2 in 1 hyprid, by Asus, just like you said. It exists. Proving other people wrong, Dual Android & Windows products came out of the factory without Google or Microsoft shutting them down.

BGR: Samsung Considering Dual-Boot Windows/Android For The S8-0000.png
    Last edited by Sairos; 09-09-16 at 06:30 PM.
    09-09-16 06:19 PM
    No, your memory isn't wrong, just a little foggy. ASUS Transformer AiO P1801. It's a 2 in 1 hyprid, by Asus, just like you said. It exists. Proving other people wrong, Dual Android & Windows products came out of the factory without Google or Microsoft shutting them down.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0000.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	408092
    actually the tablet only has android installed. Windows is installed on the base station. So the tablet acts like a monitor on the basestation and displays windows. There is not dual boot with this.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    09-09-16 07:38 PM
    actually the tablet only has android installed. Windows is installed on the base station. So the tablet acts like a monitor on the basestation and displays windows. There is not dual boot with this.
    Really? That's quite interesting, its a workaround, for having two OSs, if one can say so. Still a sneaky solution in my opinion, one needs android more in a tablet and windows more on a PC base.
    09-09-16 07:44 PM
    https://www.neowin.net/news/acer-unv...your-pocket-pc

I think we are very close to another revolution in mobile computing. Devices like this, where you can essentially detach the CPU from the old desktop days and take it with you before hooking it up to a screen, full size keyboard, and mouse will probably overtake app based smartphones within the next year or two.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-16 07:59 PM
    https://www.neowin.net/news/acer-unv...your-pocket-pc

I think we are very close to another revolution in mobile computing. Devices like this, where you can essentially detach the CPU from the old desktop days and take it with you before hooking it up to a screen, full size keyboard, and mouse will probably overtake app based smartphones within the next year or two.

Posted via CB10
    Continuum is a strong idea that's being featured on Windows 10 Phones but I think App based phones are here to stay. People want more mobility not less, so they won't favor attaching the phones to screens. You practically have a PC if you've a screen. Why keep a screen only, and if you will do so, then just use a PC stick. My opinion anyway, so far it hasn't moved anything in terms of windows 10 phones sales. So I don't see any real change although its a good idea.

Now couple the Windows 10 Phone with Android & Apps, and you got yourself a really powerful device that could make people drop Full PCs and go for screens only so they would've everything on a single device.
    09-09-16 08:54 PM
    I dont get the point of having two OS hehe

Posted via CB10
    09-09-16 10:13 PM
    I think Samsung should just make a variant of the Note 8 with a 6" flat screen, Windows 10 and a removable battery. We all know this won't happen, but we can agree that it would be one hell of an interesting, provocative device.
    09-10-16 02:01 PM
    You know BlackBerry won't do anything like this this is absolutely no talk of the hypervisor anymore lol

Posted via CB10
    09-10-16 06:53 PM
    Dual-boot phone

But the all important question: will it be able to send texts and make calls?!
    It would look stoopid with only one boot on... ;-D

�   "Chenterprise. We are the future. Resistance is futile. Prepare to BBe... "   �
    09-12-16 03:25 PM
    You know BlackBerry won't do anything like this this is absolutely no talk of the hypervisor anymore lol

Posted via CB10
    Think the talk about hypervisor is where QNX meant it to be... in automotive. It was just a few fans that tried to convert the Hypervisor into some kind of salvation for BB10 and it's app problem.
    09-12-16 03:39 PM
    Think the talk about hypervisor is where QNX meant it to be... in automotive. It was just a few fans that tried to convert the Hypervisor into some kind of salvation for BB10 and it's app problem.
    I get irritated when people latch onto jargon like hypervisor. Microkernel is just as bad.
    09-13-16 11:09 AM
40 12