"...Weaver says that an iOS device may be the most secure general purpose device on the market so long as you configure it correctly..."

Best line that I've read today!

iPhone and the FBI: iMessage and FaceTime backdoor report | BGR
    Last edited by Batmark; 08-06-15 at 06:52 PM.
    08-06-15 09:10 AM
    Turn it off and not put it on any network? it is highly secured that way.
    08-06-15 09:11 AM
    OP, how much time do you spend per day looking for negative articles about Apple? Was this supposed to be another "Apple sucks! Buy BlackBerry instead!" post? The funny thing is, I don't see a lot of posts about BlackBerry(positive or negative) over in iMore. They're too busy writing posts about Apple, I guess.
    jallister and grydlok like this.
    08-06-15 09:33 AM
    The author doesn't seem to understand how public-key encryption works. Without the PRIVATE key, there isn't going to be any message-reading. The article is an epic fail.
    08-06-15 06:10 PM
    OP, how much time do you spend per day looking for negative articles about Apple?
    None actually. I research encryption and security, not specific articles about any one entity. This particular one was found by opening the browser on my MacBook and doing a simple search; and I didn't even have to go to the 2nd page of results to see it. I don't use the words "Apple", "BlackBerry" or any other named product in my search parameters either, as bias is always important to try and avoid in my line of work (there's a PhD in that last sentence if anyone wants it...my treat!).

Was this supposed to be another "Apple sucks! Buy BlackBerry instead!" post?
    Not at all. People are free to choose, with no interference from me. Its none of my business what device you or anyone else chooses. Besides, if I was trying to convince someone to change platforms, I would hope to get paid for my efforts. However, since I don't work for BlackBerry, hold shares in BlackBerry nor do I work for free, what could I possibly have to gain? SFA, that's what. Hell, I don't even try to influence what my kid picks to wear for clothes, instead I let him choose (save for that one time he wanted to wear his mother's shoes, and I felt like a pair a red high heels were inappropriate for running around the neighbourhood splash pad). Also, I would have titled the thread something clever like "Apple sucks! Buy BlackBerry!"

...The funny thing is, I don't see a lot of posts about BlackBerry(positive or negative) over in iMore. They're too busy writing posts about Apple, I guess.
    I didn't say anything negative/positive about Apple or BlackBerry as you inferred. I quoted one line, that yes was in an article about Apple, but actually speaks to all consumers regardless of what product they choose. Car manufacturers can claim that their cars are the safest, but if you don't wear the seatbelt and always speed like you're late for a Platinum Blonde concert, then that car is about as safe as riding a lawnmower in a knife store during a tornado. Maytag can claim their washing machine will get my clothes the cleanest, but if I don't close the door and press start..you see where I'm going with this? Maybe I should have used italics to better convey my point. Apple, BlackBerry, Windows...they're secure "...as long as you configure it correctly".

I completely understand that you've been exposed to negative posts on the forums (as we all have), but I fear you're starting to see things that simply aren't there. I also fear that I'm about to reference Sen. McCarthy or Admiral Satie here. We're all better served by asking for clarification rather than jumping to conclusions. Especially if you have a wobbly ankle!

Hope that answers your questions my friend.
    08-06-15 06:38 PM
    BGR has a room in Cooks mansion.

Via my Z30 on the Telus network
    miker476 likes this.
    08-06-15 06:43 PM
    Man that was quite a shearing....

Not the first time one strayed too from the herd to misquote a post so poorly only to end up feeling rather sheepish, but nice riposte.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 07:58 PM
    None actually. I research encryption and security, not specific articles about any one entity. This particular one was found by opening the browser on my MacBook and doing a simple search; and I didn't even have to go to the 2nd page of results to see it. I don't use the words "Apple", "BlackBerry" or any other named product in my search parameters either, as bias is always important to try and avoid in my line of work (there's a PhD in that last sentence if anyone wants it...my treat!).

Not at all. People are free to choose, with no interference from me. Its none of my business what device you or anyone else chooses. Besides, if I was trying to convince someone to change platforms, I would hope to get paid for my efforts. However, since I don't work for BlackBerry, hold shares in BlackBerry nor do I work for free, what could I possibly have to gain? SFA, that's what. Hell, I don't even try to influence what my kid picks to wear for clothes, instead I let him choose (save for that one time he wanted to wear his mother's shoes, and I felt like a pair a red high heels were inappropriate for running around the neighbourhood splash pad). Also, I would have titled the thread something clever like "Apple sucks! Buy BlackBerry!"

I didn't say anything negative/positive about Apple or BlackBerry as you inferred. I quoted one line, that yes was in an article about Apple, but actually speaks to all consumers regardless of what product they choose. Car manufacturers can claim that their cars are the safest, but if you don't wear the seatbelt and always speed like you're late for a Platinum Blonde concert, then that car is about as safe as riding a lawnmower in a knife store during a tornado. Maytag can claim their washing machine will get my clothes the cleanest, but if I don't close the door and press start..you see where I'm going with this? Maybe I should have used italics to better convey my point. Apple, BlackBerry, Windows...they're secure "...as long as you configure it correctly".

I completely understand that you've been exposed to negative posts on the forums (as we all have), but I fear you're starting to see things that simply aren't there. I also fear that I'm about to reference Sen. McCarthy or Admiral Satie here. We're all better served by asking for clarification rather than jumping to conclusions. Especially if you have a wobbly ankle!

Hope that answers your questions my friend.
    Thanks for responding to my comment with class and reason, as opposed to the usual sophomoric rhetoric given in response to a differing point of view. It's a shame that others can't or won't follow your example.
    08-07-15 03:43 PM