man its just making me want it more and more and more

ahh well..

during the time of me using the iPhone I did connect to wi-fi in many occasions
    haha

once we eventually get a wifi blackberry, watch us go crazy connecting to it everywhere we go... despite of a strong 3g signal
    05-19-09 07:58 AM
    haha

once we eventually get a wifi blackberry, watch us go crazy connecting to it everywhere we go... despite of a strong 3g signal
    i know i will be.
    05-19-09 08:40 AM
    I still view it as a nice feature, but not really a need. I would still probably use a netbook in a wifi area more than I would use my BB, but wouldn't mind having the option. That is just for me though. Through some of the examples given, I can see that it is far more important and useful for some of you. Hopefully, we will all have the option in the future, but I really don't want wifi to come at the expense of something else. I would hate for a new phone to include wifi, but lack GPS or world phone capabilities. I think this will probably be the case though. As someone else said earlier, we will probably see the Tour as a World Phone and the Atlas as a Tour with Wifi.

I still don't understand why people argue against having it though. If there is an additional feature available, then wouldn't you want it? It is like having a DVD player and a Blu-ray player at the same price and saying, "I don't own any Blu-ray discs so I don't need the added features that it may offer so I will just take the regular DVD player." If the Blu-ray player will play regular DVDs and has the added bonus of making Blu-ray available then wouldn't it be to your benefit to go ahead and get it?
    05-19-09 10:22 AM
    I still view it as a nice feature, but not really a need. I would still probably use a netbook in a wifi area more than I would use my BB, but wouldn't mind having the option. That is just for me though. Through some of the examples given, I can see that it is far more important and useful for some of you. Hopefully, we will all have the option in the future, but I really don't want wifi to come at the expense of something else. I would hate for a new phone to include wifi, but lack GPS or world phone capabilities. I think this will probably be the case though. As someone else said earlier, we will probably see the Tour as a World Phone and the Atlas as a Tour with Wifi.

I still don't understand why people argue against having it though. If there is an additional feature available, then wouldn't you want it? It is like having a DVD player and a Blu-ray player at the same price and saying, "I don't own any Blu-ray discs so I don't need the added features that it may offer so I will just take the regular DVD player." If the Blu-ray player will play regular DVDs and has the added bonus of making Blu-ray available then wouldn't it be to your benefit to go ahead and get it?
    if it is a tour with wifi then i am sold. i do not need world phone capabilities really, but wifi would be useful in my basement or at my parents house in every room except for the kitchen.
    and your analogy is great!
    05-19-09 10:27 AM
    I agree! All good points! And speaking of travel, wifi works great at hotels etc on top of the access u get on a plane. Sometimes rates are crazy depending on the hotel or resort, but its still an option u can decide on... Options are always good!
    extremely nub response here (and i apologize for that) -- i didn't know you could use a phone on an airplane if you had wifi? Don't they make you turn off/put on airplane mode all cellphones and stuff?

i normally force myself to knock out and sleep for all of my flights.. bein able to mess around on my phone would be nice!

PS you guys are going to convert me to the "give me wifi or give me death" side of this whole thing
    05-19-09 10:49 AM
    extremely nub response here (and i apologize for that) -- i didn't know you could use a phone on an airplane if you had wifi? Don't they make you turn off/put on airplane mode all cellphones and stuff?

i normally force myself to knock out and sleep for all of my flights.. bein able to mess around on my phone would be nice!

PS you guys are going to convert me to the "give me wifi or give me death" side of this whole thing
    Many airplanes are being equipped with Wifi now. If you turn off the cellphone radio on your blackberry you could still leave the wifi radio on and use it for the internet, slingbox, pandora, slacker, iheartadio, flycast, that new blackberry tv thing, etc.
    05-19-09 11:24 AM
    Many airplanes are being equipped with Wifi now. If you turn off the cellphone radio on your blackberry you could still leave the wifi radio on and use it for the internet, slingbox, pandora, slacker, iheartadio, flycast, that new blackberry tv thing, etc.
    pretty sweet -- thanks for the quick response!

hopefully we get some more info on exactly what this "atlas" device is..
    05-19-09 11:30 AM
    pretty sweet -- thanks for the quick response!

hopefully we get some more info on exactly what this "atlas" device is..
    I have a feeling that we will know something this weekend.
    05-19-09 11:34 AM
    i hope that it is an informed feeling...
    05-19-09 12:36 PM
    i hope you're right also. we need info on the atlas, ASAP. pics. specs. WE WANT TO KNOW WHAT IT IS.
    05-19-09 01:12 PM
    It definetly depends on what kind of Data is on there that your security department see's it as a risk. I mean every company does things different. So I can understand that.

Just out of curiosity --- do you have people who travel in your company and have laptops with wi-fi?

just curious because the wi-fi on the blackberry is more secure then the wi-fi on the laptop..

(this is a honest question, no ill intent)
    HA! That is a great way to look at it. Yep, they don't seem to concerned with the laptop WiFi, though I imagine they will come back with the fact that we have encryption software deployed to the laptop to protect the data (which we do as well for Blackberry/WinMo so that's a wash) and Symantec Endpoint Protection for the virus/threat prevention/intrusion detection. I think they are probably worried about a 'berry being connected to an unsecured WiFi network then somebody using that network to tunnel back through the 'berry into the corporate network.

No idea if that is possible or not, but I suppose as long as the possibility exists they will come out on the side of more security. :-)
    05-19-09 01:12 PM
    HA! That is a great way to look at it. Yep, they don't seem to concerned with the laptop WiFi, though I imagine they will come back with the fact that we have encryption software deployed to the laptop to protect the data (which we do as well for Blackberry/WinMo so that's a wash) and Symantec Endpoint Protection for the virus/threat prevention/intrusion detection. I think they are probably worried about a 'berry being connected to an unsecured WiFi network then somebody using that network to tunnel back through the 'berry into the corporate network.

No idea if that is possible or not, but I suppose as long as the possibility exists they will come out on the side of more security. :-)

well.. its less likely then a laptop no matter what security is on the laptop just because a blackberry is not a standard operating system. Hackers hack windows all the time.

I mean don't get me wrong a IT department should be as concerned as possible about security. I just found that to be awkward to allow wi-fi on laptops and not on a bb is all
    05-29-09 01:44 AM
    as much as i understand that wifi is awsome and is a great addtion when u have it, i just find that whenever im near a wifi signal, i have a comp arround me 80 percent of the time.

LTE is sick i just dont want it to come out sooner than planed for next august or else my tour will be really out of date for a few months until my 18 month upgrade

http://http://gizmodo.com/5155882/verizon-lte-wireless-clocking-60mbps-in-us-tests-confirmed-to-launch-in-2010
    06-27-09 01:03 AM
    shall I post a link to the 3rd and 4th reason for wifi? I haven't even gotten to the "OVERSEAS" reason for it yet!

I guess my new goal is to reduce or stop those ignorant rantings about not needing wifi because 3g is so superior, blah blah blah!

They need a litte dose of reality in those VZW forums below!
    Aren't you calling the kettle black? Ignorant ranting for why you DO need wifi. It's a personal choice....get over your "superior knowledge"
    06-27-09 02:29 AM
    For myself there are many reasons why wifi would be nice:

1.) At home I have ZERO cell service other than in the kitchen because of a cell booster... Wifi Would fix this...
    2.) When overseas for work UMA wifi would make for free international calls...
    3.) When flying anywhere for work more and more planes are getting wifi now...
    4.) Downloading large files...

I'm sure there's more but that's just off the tip of my tounge...

Why would anyone turn down another form of connection?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-09 07:20 AM
    For myself there are many reasons why wifi would be nice:

1.) At home I have ZERO cell service other than in the kitchen because of a cell booster... Wifi Would fix this...
    2.) When overseas for work UMA wifi would make for free international calls...
    3.) When flying anywhere for work more and more planes are getting wifi now...
    4.) Downloading large files...

I'm sure there's more but that's just off the tip of my tounge...

Why would anyone turn down another form of connection?

1) you're at home, use a computer
    2-4) if you're traveling for work, and work in general, i'd assume u'd have a laptop, which oh wait has wi-fi. so use your laptop for skype, i doubt u wouldnt have your laptop in your carry-on.

everywhere that a Wi-fi connection is viable and really needed, a laptop would most likely be present. i dont see any major need to have wi-fi on phones. once it is around, BB users will complain even more about battery life, when its because they have another battery draining feature enabled.

also if you REALLY need to be connected that badly, that you must have your wi-fi connection in your phone, i think you need to look up more. theres more to life than your phones. taking a break from it won't kill ya.
    07-20-09 03:14 PM
    shall I post a link to the 3rd and 4th reason for wifi? I haven't even gotten to the "OVERSEAS" reason for it yet!

I guess my new goal is to reduce or stop those ignorant rantings about not needing wifi because 3g is so superior, blah blah blah!

They need a litte dose of reality in those VZW forums below!
    Please do post on overseas. Because I have the Storm and tomorrow will have a Tour. Both are 3G and Global. Can I get WIFI where ever I want...NO! Having GSM and getting a prorated data plan works for me and many eithers. I had a 6800 and hardly used WIFI because most hotspots are slower than 3G. I have WIFI at home which 20MB and much faster but then again I have a PC for that.

If you like WIFI on your BB go to T-Mobile or AT&T. You must be on Verizon for a reason.
    07-20-09 03:22 PM
    Just wait till LTE then there really will be no need for wifi (sarcastic) :P.

07-25-09 03:25 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD