I came across this, and thought maybe others would like to see it.

I had a flashlight app on my Z10 until one of the updates from BlackBerry had one installed in the phone, so I deleted the app.
    I have looked in BlackBerry world since seeing this video and have seen some pretty big files to just install a flashlight. So I'm guessing they are a type of spyware as well.

This Is Why You Need To Uninstall The Flashlight App From Your Phone NOW!
    11-15-14 08:13 AM
    I've seen a number of warnings for Flashlight apps of late. It's certainly a mixed bag of what you can get installing such a 'simple' app that has other purposes altogether.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    11-15-14 08:27 AM
    This is why I only use the stock one provided!

Posted via CB10
    vrud and anon(8908445) like this.
    11-15-14 08:38 AM
    Yep. Old news. I don't need anything else other than the stock app.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=969995

Posted via CB10
    11-15-14 09:51 AM
    I hope my flashlight app from "The Jared Company" is safe, because it also comes with a magnifier feature that I use frequently.
    11-15-14 12:18 PM
    I hope my flashlight app from "The Jared Company" is safe, because it also comes with a magnifier feature that I use frequently.
    If I remember right that coy has had many COMPLAINTS as far as getting more info than they should back in the bbos days.. I'll try to see if I can find the thread. But personally I'd stay away from them

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=767656

Looking for more cause I'm sure there was a big thread

Commander and Chief of the Peevishlicious Crew
    Last edited by habs_fan; 11-16-14 at 07:18 AM.
    kbz1960 and Mecca EL like this.
    11-15-14 01:28 PM
    Yep. Old news. I don't need anything else other than the stock app.

Flash light Apps not that good. - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Posted via CB10
    Problem is there wasn't a stock app when the BB10 phones first came out. And if you installed an app from BB world then you have malware.
    11-16-14 04:25 AM
    Problem is there wasn't a stock app when the BB10 phones first came out. And if you installed an app from BB world then you have malware.
    Yep... Glad I didn't install one.

Those that did need to get to deleting and wiping if they're concerned about it.

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 05:08 AM
    Any app could potentially contain malware, not just flashlights. You should check what permissions are being requested and why. Read the app description and look for ones from trusted vendors.

I can promise you that none of my apps contain malware, so if you want a safe flash light with more features than the stock one, feel free to download: Torch Flashlight - BlackBerry World
    Mecca EL and howarmat like this.
    11-16-14 05:21 AM
    It's a good thing we have a built-in flashlight app, so there is no risk included. Besides my BB10 phones, I still have/had Android and Windows Phone devices. I always check the required app authorizations. If a flashlight app requires access to phone, messages, internet and even media, I simply don't install it. Such a simple app should only have an absolute minimum of required authorizations. Yet the dilemma shows the quite large threat the huge number of casual users have to deal with due to the app crazyness going on.

Posted via CB10
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-16-14 05:43 AM
    Doesn't BlackBerry check the apps for malware?

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-16-14 05:58 AM
    This is why I only use the stock one provided!

Posted via CB10
    This is the best solution!

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 06:22 AM
    I don't understand what's so different between a stock flashlight app and third party. What reason would someone have to download a second one?

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    11-16-14 06:25 AM
    I don't understand what's so different between a stock flashlight app and third party. What reason would someone have to download a second one?

Posted via unlocked PASSPORT
    When BB10 was first introduced there was no "built in" flashlight in the settings. So people like myself downloaded the flashlight app.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    11-16-14 06:38 AM

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    I see some flashlight apps with big files have the "BlackBerry Guardian" stamp on them. But seem to have a lot to download to just turn on a light.
    I guess just be aware of what you are downloading.
    I figure BlackBerry didn't install a stock app by accident on the BB10 phones. I'm guessing they knew what was out there so they took the risk out of it by giving us one.
    11-16-14 06:44 AM
    If I remember right that coy has had many compliments as far as getting more info than they should back in the bbos days.. I'll try to see if I can find the thread. But personally I'd stay away from them

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=767656

Looking for more cause I'm sure there was a big thread
    They had many COMPLAINTS, not compliments. I would not install anything from them. What permissions did their flashlight app request?

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    11-16-14 06:53 AM
    Also up until recently I just left the old flashlight app in my phone, even though I didn't use it, I used the one in my settings. Not sure if that app I had installed was harmless or not , but I deleted it to be sure and did wipe on my phone.
    11-16-14 06:55 AM
    They had many COMPLAINTS, not compliments. I would not install anything from them. What permissions did their flashlight app request?

Posted via CB10
    Lol ya that's what I meant

Commander and Chief of the Peevishlicious Crew
    11-16-14 07:18 AM
    Hey, my first BlackBerry App was a flashlight app. My motivation for writing is on par with others here. When I got spammed from Jared company I figure id write my own. 63kb install with no BS spyware.

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    11-16-14 11:43 AM
    Sorry to appear dense but where is the stock OEM Blackberry Flashlight that someone said came with the phone?

I have a Passport. I didn't find any stock app so I downloaded and installed Flashlight by Motek Mobile which I got from Blackberry World.

Is it safe?

Posted via CB10
    11-16-14 06:17 PM
    I prefer the stock flashlight app. Quick, and easy to access.
    11-16-14 08:42 PM

Z30STA100-3/10.2.1.3289
    sure but what is that really going to stop. If an app asks for permission for your contacts and you grant it then its free wo send back your entire contacts back to the dev to spam or whatever else they plan on. The best prevention of malware is the user and them checking permissions and making smart choices. BB is not going to block an app for asking for simple persmissions like this.
    11-16-14 08:59 PM
    I never did need to use the flashlight capability of the Z10 when I first got it. Didn't realize it didn't have a stock app at first and never downloaded a flashlight app. Just seems like it was always there when I wanted to try it out... but that wasn't until after I had installed a couple of leaks.
    11-16-14 09:22 PM
    I came across this, and thought maybe others would like to see it.

I had a flashlight app on my Z10 until one of the updates from BlackBerry had one installed in the phone, so I deleted the app.
    I have looked in BlackBerry world since seeing this video and have seen some pretty big files to just install a flashlight. So I'm guessing they are a type of spyware as well.

This Is Why You Need To Uninstall The Flashlight App From Your Phone NOW!
    The ton of "free youtube downloaders" you get for PC are usually bundled with junk, adware and spyware of all sorts. Why do we expect those "free" flashlight apps to be any different in nature ... ?

That's why I absolutely dislike "free" apps, and rather let the dev make an honest dollar or two instead of having to resort to shady practices like this. I actually BUY apps and often get stomach cramps when installing "free" stuff (with no paid upgrade option)...

:-)

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    tuxedo323 and radwon like this.
    11-16-14 11:53 PM