I was trying to change my BlackBerry ID password today via the BlackBerry website, but I did something wrong because now neither my original nor my new password work. I then tried the reset option, where they email you a link to reset the password. But I never got the email.

When you use the Reset Password page, per this KB article,
    KB26361-How to reset a BlackBerry ID password

A confirmation message will display "A password reset email has been sent to [email protected]", at which point, a reset email will be delivered to the BlackBerry ID email address.

Note: For security purposes, this reset email will NOT be delivered to the BlackBerry smartphone.

So if your BlackBerry ID is an email address which only goes to your smartphone (I used my Verizon BIS address) you can't get the email with the link you need click. Oops.

I just spent an hour on the phone with tech support. They're going to reset my BlackBerry ID password manually and either call me or email it to a different address. In the meantime, I can't get online with my PlayBook, because it keeps prompting me for a password.

I'd start over with a new BlackBerry ID if it wasn't for all the apps I've purchased for my phone. I've only bought a few for my PlayBook, so that wouldn't be as big a deal.

Ugh.
    anon(3733516) and jafobabe like this.
    06-15-11 06:37 PM
    Note: For security purposes, this reset email will NOT be delivered to the BlackBerry smartphone.
    That's a pain, but makes perfect sense from a security standpoint. If someone found your phone and wanted to get into your AppWorld, they could just request the pword and it would get sent right to the phone.
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-15-11 07:17 PM
    Thanks for the info. I recently changed mine to my BIS email. Just changed it back.
    06-15-11 07:28 PM
    How do you change it from the @blackberry.com?

Never mind, I got it.
    Last edited by kbz1960; 06-15-11 at 07:56 PM. Reason: figued it out
    06-15-11 07:30 PM
    Won't your password still get delivered to your inbox? you might just need to log into your mail account using a desktop mail client, or a web client.
    06-15-11 08:06 PM
    Won't your password still get delivered to your inbox? you might just need to log into your mail account using a desktop mail client, or a web client.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I can sign into my email account directly online. Even if it's a provider email account.
    06-15-11 08:11 PM
    Doesn't work with a BIS email, at least not thru Verizon. They do not have webmail or SMTP for email addresses for the domain vzw.blackberry.net.

So there is no way to check messages other than getting them on your BB.
    06-16-11 05:52 AM
    After two calls to PlayBook tech support and about four hours of talking to four different techs, the problem is fixed. The last guy I dealt with, Kevin, finally got info from documentation or another tech that if I created a new BB ID and associated it with the same purchasing info as the old ID, all my apps would be associated with the new ID. But it would require a security wipe of the PlayBook.

That seems to have worked. All the apps I had purchased are showing up when I log into the new ID on both my phone and my PlayBook. *crosses fingers*
    jafobabe likes this.
    06-20-11 06:34 AM
    Quite an interesting observation, for the sake of other community members and readers who visit this. I'd like to suggest that the issue is that RIM's app world password reset thing sends out an email address to the one registered. Now if it's ur BIS account and your device is not operational, you don't have any option left to check and retrieve the same. Hence religiously follow what has been suggested here.
    06-20-11 07:03 AM
    Sorry, newbie here but I didn't know that there's a BIS email? I use 3 emails on my Torch, GMail, Yahoo and my own website email. We only do have three network carriers here in my country but I don't think neither of them has BIS email enabled. Maybe, for postpaid/plan subscribers. I only use prepaid. Anyway, this is quite an interesting topic.
    06-20-11 07:49 AM
    I only use my blackberry.net address as a place to forward email from other e-mail addresses that I want to (temporarily) monitor on my BB. I also give it out as a "pager" address. I don't want any important e-mail address tied to something as fickle as a cell phone service provider.
    06-20-11 09:29 AM
    I only use my blackberry.net address as a place to forward email from other e-mail addresses that I want to (temporarily) monitor on my BB. I also give it out as a "pager" address. I don't want any important e-mail address tied to something as fickle as a cell phone service provider.
    I don't use mine at all and never bothered to set it up.
    06-20-11 10:54 AM
    They need to allow you to change the email address. That is so stupid. Sometimes people use work or other emails, and then they change jobs or internet providers and need to change their email addresses. Pretty dumb. I did use my vzw.blackberry.net email, I don't know why, because it's a blackberry? Thankfully I don't think I'll forget my password, so I won't have that problem, but it's still annoying.
    06-20-11 02:29 PM
    I'm purchasing my first BlackBerry next month (already went through the pros/cons for Android/Iphone/WindowsPhone and decided on BlackBerry). I'm trying to figure out if I should set up an account on my cell provider's BIS server. I've read quite a bit about the BIS server, what it does, what it doesn't do, etc. It looks like I can link my other accounts to a BIS account for it to grab emails from my other providers. Is this necessary? If you have a provider BIS email, what do you use it for?

My apologies if this isn't the right place. It seemed logical based on a couple responses in this thread regarding being careful where to use the BIS email address.

Thanks.

Future BlackBerry User...the wait is killing me!
    07-05-11 01:06 PM
    I'm purchasing my first BlackBerry next month (already went through the pros/cons for Android/Iphone/WindowsPhone and decided on BlackBerry). I'm trying to figure out if I should set up an account on my cell provider's BIS server. I've read quite a bit about the BIS server, what it does, what it doesn't do, etc. It looks like I can link my other accounts to a BIS account for it to grab emails from my other providers. Is this necessary? If you have a provider BIS email, what do you use it for?

My apologies if this isn't the right place. It seemed logical based on a couple responses in this thread regarding being careful where to use the BIS email address.

Thanks.

Future BlackBerry User...the wait is killing me!
    I use my major 3 email addresses for most of my contacts... only 1 person has my
    blackberry.net address, so if I need to change it, it won't be too much to notify
    a lot of contacts.
    07-05-11 02:46 PM
    Yet another (of a long list) of reasons to NEVER use the @carrier.blackberry.net email address for ANYTHING important. Just don't use it.
    07-05-11 02:53 PM
    I'm purchasing my first BlackBerry next month (already went through the pros/cons for Android/Iphone/WindowsPhone and decided on BlackBerry). I'm trying to figure out if I should set up an account on my cell provider's BIS server.
    You should not.
    07-05-11 03:05 PM
    Yet another (of a long list) of reasons to NEVER use the @carrier.blackberry.net email address for ANYTHING important. Just don't use it.
    While it is a good reason to not use it for an important log in, I do love having it as
    a private email for one person.
    07-05-11 03:06 PM
    Well, it doesn't sound like a problem with the address. It's more a matter of BlackBerry ID/playbook refusing to email reset info to your device. I use mine, because I like having an email address that comes with a service I pay for and can't be accessed from the web. But I can see how one could be screwed if he loses his device and can't get another BlackBerry or in a case like the one you've described.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-05-11 03:07 PM
    Well, it doesn't sound like a problem with the address. It's more a matter of BlackBerry ID/playbook refusing to email reset info to your device. I use mine, because I like having an email address that comes with a service I pay for and can't be accessed from the web. But I can see how one could be screwed if he loses his device and can't get another BlackBerry or in a case like the one you've described.

Personally I hate the idea of having an email address tied to a particular brand of cellphone, a particular cellphone carrier or an ISP.
    07-05-11 03:43 PM
    Why?

07-05-11 04:15 PM
    Why?

I want to be able to change my device or carrier without informing anyone of my new email address and I want ot be able to read my email on any of my mobile devices or computers.
    07-05-11 04:22 PM
    Okay I see. I don't give the address out, but I have it set up so password recovery info and receipts for financial transactions go there.

jafobabe likes this.
    07-05-11 04:32 PM
    Hmm, RIM should really look at this issue and warn people if they're signing up with a BIS hosted address. Really isn't that hard, if the email address has ".blackberry.net" at the end, it's hosted by RIM and the user should be warned that password resetting would be compromised. Or just refuse people from signing up with those domains...
    07-05-11 05:27 PM
    Okay I see. I don't give the address out, but I have it set up so password recovery info and receipts for financial transactions go there.

So if you change carrier or device, you won't be able to recover lost passwords. You should send password recovery information to your main account and change the password when you have accessed the account.
    07-05-11 09:02 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD