The recent post that had the title "The BETA test is over." got me thinking. As a person who does a bit of development using SQL, vba etc.. at work. I have a good idea of how quick or slow it takes to do stuff from scratch and when it comes to updates. I don't agree with that post/ editorial. I don't expect this post to make it to the front page btw as in fact.. I just came off a 3 day ban because I used the term f a n b o y s and had previous infractions. Obviously a moderator took it personal but hey ho.. the truth is brutal. Blame it on my love for BlackBerry and being allergic to bullsh..

Now, I'm not going to go down the well beaten road and moan about third party apps from big name developers as in my opinion.. its simple. BlackBerry is not selling enough phones to tempt them over. No matter how easy some might say the BlackBerry development tools are.. nobody cares. It's all about finance and economics.

Thus, I'm gonna focus on BlackBerry and their own in house development. As a case in point, I'm going to use Facebook and Twitter which BlackBerry have as native apps from day one of BlackBerry 10's release. The two apps that probably have the most users in the world.. if there are more used apps then I stand corrected but you'd be hard pressed to find apps downloaded and used more than Facebook and Twitter.

BlackBerry 10 has been out since February 2013.. its almost 18 months since it was released. I have both the native and android Facebook version on my phone. I was just reading a friends post and the comments on it then noticed a picture someone else had included in their comment. I then opened the native app and went to the same post and comment but nothing.. no picture. Then I see loads of other posts and stuff people put on Facebook that show up on the android version but does not show up on the native version. The android version is so packed with features and settings that you never have to go online to do stuff whereas, the native version takes you to the mobile site.

Facebook messenger.. this is built into the hub which is cool but compared to the standalone android app it is nowhere as feature packed. I mean.. no stickers, can't make calls, create groups, sync with phone your contacts phone numbers, can't do the new SnapChat like feature with pics and videos etc.. its been 18 months.

Twitter.. we still don't have the built in picture editors that the android and ios version have built in plus other features here and there I need not mention. Having said that.. I think the bb twitter app is very good. I don't have the android version installed.

I'll even include other big names that work like instagram which works great on 10.3.

Skype.. works but really annoyed me this past Thursday. Got my colleague to call me with her iPhone but all she gets is cannot connect. I'm thinking.. whats the point of this app if it cannot work when closed? I only keep it installed for when I need to use it and that's almost never. We need it to be native or at least work headless. Might do for some of you but definitely not for me. When it was first released it had a super icon in the hub too.. now it does not.

Viber.. worked the first few weeks now it says blocked or something so never connects. Only stays connected when set to "Always On" but that drains the battery like madness.

SnapChat.. no official port but works bar the nagging Google services annoyance.

Some might try to moan that android apps suck but I'm on 10.3 and they work very well. I deleted the Facebook app for android off my phone when I was on 10.2.1 cos it was slow to load and lagged a lot. Now it opens within 6 seconds and most times quicker. Still a bit of lag but nothing worth giving up the massive gain in features. I totally agree with Chris Umiatowski. Unless things really improve I can't justify getting a new BlackBerry 10 phone when my contract is up for renewal. Believe me, I really really don't want to do what my wife did and move to the iPhone or Android. She had a bold 9900 just two months ago.

The third party apps for the instagram and SnapChat are cool but it just ain't the same. I have Igrann and snap2chat but also have the official instagram and use it as my main app. I don't have the official SnapChat cos the Google services prompt is too annoying.

My main issue is, the post I referred to at the start says it's almost like this has all been a beta test and now we would be getting the hardware that can match so so and so that BlackBerry intends on giving us come later this year. In my opinion.. nobody cares. If the hardware we have now is supposedly not as high specced as it needs to be to match ios and android.. then why the hell does the Facebook, Facebook Messenger, instagram, twitter, SnapChat and loads other android apps work so damn well on my phone???? If they can run with all the features available to android phones on my z10 (bar the Google dependent features of course), then why can't the native apps made by BlackBerry match them after 18 months?

Case in point, Facebook.

Why can I still not tweak my settings from within the app? That includes the twitter app too. Why can I not still make calls using the app? Still can't add pictures to comments, still can't do loads of things the android app does yet they both co-exist on the same supposedly BETA hardware that my z10 is.

I don't agree with the logic behind the beta test. I just think BlackBerry are so damn slow and for some unknown reason to me.. they just can't do what others can and for the most part it boils down to the OS IMHO. I mean, for a company that prides itself on its messaging capabilities and history.. we still don't have a Facebook app that is as good as the ios and android version 18 months later. It just sucks and I hate having to download these android apps.. not cos I hate android.. I love android but it makes me continue questioning why the hell I continue to use this second rate phone that I always seem to have to find a work around to do what I want to do.. the way they should be done. Plus I'm taking up unnecessary space plus they can't work with the hub etc.

I love BlackBerry 10 and the way it works. No contest, I prefer how the OS works compared to android or ios.. I 100% feel it's better than the rest (my wife has an iPhone 5s so I have played with it extensively) but, at least sort out your own in house app development and keep up. There's nothing really special about apps but when the apps you want to use are unavailable or are in some way lacking in the functionality that the proprietor intended it to have plus they keep releasing new and improved features every other day ( just look at how often fb and twitter apps are updated on ios and android).. then it just sucks.

I know it's a catch 22 thing i.e. no sales mean no big name apps and vice versa so I really hope the z3 and BlackBerry future phones help in the sales department however, if they do or not can the in house developers please get off their behinds and step their game up? Seems like they feel just the same way Crackberry app developers felt to the point that the native cb10 app was and still lacks behind the android version. Till myself and others moaned about it rather recently. See
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=920672

I wish a BlackBerry developer would shed some light on what exactly the problem is cos I know you BlackBerry employees must read this site and use competing products so must realise how behind you guys are.

What is the problem?

Posted via CB10 on my Z mfk'n 10!
    Last edited by BlackB_G; 06-15-14 at 02:40 PM.
    06-15-14 09:15 AM
    For a moment there I thought I was reading an editorial on the front page.

I agree with you on the native Facebook and Twitter app they're both garbage!

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 10:53 AM
    Is it possible the native BB10 apps are hampered or restricted by BB's own security requirements whereas the Android versions are not in some way?
    06-15-14 11:04 AM
    I completely agree with the OP. The post makes total sense but what I think BlackBerry has tried to do with 3rd party developers is offer them marketing money. For example, Delta Airlines brought their native app to BB World in exchange for BlackBerry ads on their planes and Wi-Fi onboard for BlackBerry clients. Same thing happened with MLB, Toronto Maple Leafs, Raptors, Blue Jays, etc where BlackBerry was advertising with them as well.

You bring up a great point though, what's going on with the in-house built Facebook app? I really think the Facebook app, although "built by BlackBerry," is really outsourced to someone or some company. The reason I think this is because it just doesn't match the quality of say BBM or BB Travel or any other BlackBerry apps. But whether built by BlackBerry or not, I agree with the OP, it's a major app and after over a year of development, is nowhere near where it needs to be and it's definitely a major failure in the eyes of the consumer -- just look at the reviews.
    p_r_a_g_m_a and anon3230140 like this.
    06-15-14 11:09 AM
    You bring up a great point though, what's going on with the in-house built Facebook app? I really think the Facebook app, although "built by BlackBerry," is really outsourced to someone or some company. The reason I think this is because it just doesn't match the quality of say BBM or BB Travel or any other BlackBerry apps. But whether built by BlackBerry or not, I agree with the OP, it's a major app and after over a year of development, is nowhere near where it needs to be and it's definitely a major failure in the eyes of the consumer -- just look at the reviews.
    Along the same lines, though, BlackBerry didn't develop BlackBerry Travel. WorldMate did. Perhaps it all depends on the company BB chooses to outsource?
    06-15-14 11:54 AM
    I don't have Facebook or Twitter. Doesn't anyone work nowadays? It's almost as if every adult in the last few generations has remained a child in some way. Playing on social media apps, watching reality tv, and complaining that life isn't fair.

Guess I just miss the good old days.

I wish BlackBerry would take on a slogan that reads "Because we don't need an app for that!".

Tim

Posted via CB10 app on my Q10
    06-15-14 12:12 PM
    I haven't worked with Facebook's APIs for a very long time, but does BlackBerry's Facebook app team even have access to all the same APIs that Facebook's mobile team has?
    06-15-14 12:14 PM
    I don't have Facebook or Twitter. Doesn't anyone work nowadays? It's almost as if every adult in the last few generations has remained a child in some way. Playing on social media apps, watching reality tv, and complaining that life isn't fair.

I wish BlackBerry would take on a slogan that reads "Because we don't need an app for that!".

Tim

You mean adults don't like keeping up with extended family or friends who may live far away? Or follow companies they like on Twitter to learn about deals and new product releases? What good old days are you referring to? The days where we had to hand write long letters to our family and which may take days or weeks to be delivered? Or when we had to scour newspapers for any word on our favorite companies? Yeah, I'll take tapping a few times on a keyboard to quickly send correspondence (or better yet, video chat) or find info and then go on with my day.
    06-15-14 12:19 PM
    You mean adults don't like keeping up with extended family or friends who may live far away? Or follow companies they like on Twitter to learn about deals and new product releases? What good old days are you referring to? The days where we had to hand write long letters to our family and which may take days or weeks to be delivered? Or when we had to scour newspapers for any word on our favorite companies? Yeah, I'll take tapping a few times on a keyboard to quickly send correspondence (or better yet, video chat) or find info and then go on with my day.
    Just pick up the phone. People have lost most of their "live" interaction skills. Young people are more comfortable behind the anonymity of texting than they are at meeting and talking to people in real life. Try hiring someone and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Tim

Jrox74, acovey and Kennedy.L like this.
    06-15-14 12:35 PM
    Just pick up the phone. People have lost most of their "live" interaction skills. Young people are more comfortable behind the anonymity of texting than they are at meeting and talking to people in real life. Try hiring someone and you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

Tim

Lmao first your argument was about adults. Now it's about young people. Which is it? By the way, when I'm not able to see someone in person, video chat > a phone call. And if I wanted to see pictures from my second cousin's wedding, how does that work over the phone? Hint: It doesn't. But I can always see them on Facebook.
    06-15-14 12:41 PM
    Very well articulated article. I for one, 100% agree with what you are saying. BlackBerry 10 is miles from being polished.

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 12:49 PM

Tim

Thanks for your opinion. Please though, can we keep this discussion in perspective and focus on the issue at hand which is.. why the BlackBerry in house development team are not as good as they should and can be. Your view on the usage of these apps is not important right now. Facebook is used as an example because BlackBerry 10 has a native version and we can compare to the native versions on competing OS's.

Thank you.

06-15-14 12:50 PM
    Lmao first your argument was about adults. Now it's about young people. Which is it? By the way, when I'm not able to see someone in person, video chat > a phone call. And if I wanted to see pictures from my second cousin's wedding, how does that work over the phone? Hint: It doesn't. But I can always see them on Facebook.
    This is part of the problem. Reading comprehension. One comment had nothing to do with the other. Both are simply observations. Depending on your age "youth" is subjective. I will clarify this for you next time.

Anyways, the original post should have probably been in the comment section of the article. No need to really spread it around.

Tim

06-15-14 12:53 PM
    This is part of the problem. Reading comprehension. One comment had nothing to do with the other. Both are simply observations. Depending on your age "youth" is subjective. I will clarify this for you next time.

Anyways, the original post should have probably been in the comment section of the article. No need to really spread it around.

Tim

Sorry but nah. This is not a comment on that article of the BETA test... This is a thought provoked by it and deserves it's own thread whether you like it or not. I want to know why bb 10 development is so behind the rest. Simple.

06-15-14 01:01 PM
    Sorry but nah. This is not a comment on that article of the BETA test... This is a thought provoked by it and deserves it's own thread whether you like it or not. I want to know why bb 10 development is so behind the rest. Simple.

It's not. Platform may not be geared for what you need.

Tim

06-15-14 01:04 PM
    Not in any way disagreeing with the OP however my first thought as to why BlackBerry doesn't pick up the pace for development of many apps that are common to other smartphones is because first and foremost BlackBerry is a business oriented smartphone. I'm not sure if it's wise of BlackBerry to carry on this way but it seems to be the way things are. Again folks, I.M.O. - I don't care because for the most part I don't need a bunch of game apps, social media apps etc. (yes I have twitter/facebook but what's there is fine for my use)
    06-15-14 01:06 PM
    Thanks for your opinion. Please though, can we keep this discussion in perspective and focus on the issue at hand which is.. why the BlackBerry in house development team are not as good as they should and can be. Your view on the usage of these apps is not important right now. Facebook is used as an example because BlackBerry 10 has a native version and we can compare to the native versions on competing OS's.

Thank you.

Aside from Blackberry's lack of resources, I would speculate that Blackberry has delayed/limited access to all of Facebook's latest APIs. It might not even be a matter of Facebook denying Blackberry access so much as communication issues/obstacles of no one on either side feeling its their responsibility to request/inform the other of API updates or other such issues.

I'm am not one to defend Blackberry's software prowess; but in terms of Blackberry's Facebook vs Facebook's Facebook, that is an unfair comparison. First party apps will always tend to be better.
    06-15-14 01:09 PM

Why does the Ferrari lag behind the other manufacturers when it comes to fuel economy?

It's not the car that this particular feature will be addressed on. Try looking at a Toyota or Honda. Simple.

Tim

06-15-14 01:10 PM
    Why does the Ferrari lag behind the other manufacturers when it comes to fuel economy?
    Oh geez... not another one of those bad car analogies.
    acovey and MarsupilamiX like this.
    06-15-14 01:13 PM

Tim

Those of us that use the social sites for advertising would like to have the functionality to "Keep Moving"!

Z10 (STL 100-3) Superphone with vitamin 10.2.1.2179
    grover5 likes this.
    06-15-14 01:15 PM

It's not the car that this particular feature will be addressed on. Try looking at a Toyota or Honda. Simple.

Tim

BlackBerry devices are more like minivans.
    06-15-14 01:16 PM
    Oh geez... not another one of those bad car analogies.
    Not sure why the analogy is bad. Simply making a point that specific products are geared to a specific use and demographic.

Tim

06-15-14 01:17 PM
    BlackBerry devices are more like minivans.
    Not sure what you mean. Didn't equate BlackBerry to a Ferrari. Simply stated the similarities between the lack of Facebook / Twitter support to the lack of fuel efficiency in that particular car.

Again, reading comprehension folks.

By the way, I don't think there is a single phone out there that is more efficient than my Q10. Of course this does depend on what you use your phone for. It may in some instances be a "minivan" I guess.

Tim

06-15-14 01:26 PM
    I agree whole heartedly with the OP. However, as a BlackBerry owner I really don't care about why there's a hold up. I don't want to have a reason to consider different handheld devices.

Facebook is too important to be so far behind as a native app. BlackBerry needs to make sure this changes ASAP!!!

I want to stay with BB1O!

Z10 (STL 100-3) Superphone with vitamin 10.2.1.2179
    06-15-14 01:35 PM
    Not sure what you mean. Didn't equate BlackBerry to a Ferrari. Simply stated the similarities between the lack of Facebook / Twitter support to the lack of fuel efficiency in that particular car.

Again, reading comprehension folks.

By the way, I don't think there is a single phone out there that is more efficient than my Q10. Of course this does depend on what you use your phone for. It may in some instances be a "minivan" I guess.

Tim

Dude you're missing the point. I love BlackBerry 10. I clearly said I 100% feel it is better than the rest in day to day functionality. I stated I even like that the Facebook messenger is integrated into the hub etc.. I prefer this to separate apps. My point though is feature for feature.. why does BlackBerry always seem to lag behind on official apps that competitors have too. If the android apps can provide all the extra functionality on a BlackBerry 10 phone then it's obvious that hardware is not the problem.

The post that sparked my thinking sort of implied this hardware limitation was a possible reason and I disagree. Let's not turn this into an argument. Your opinions are valid but they're off topic in regards to the reason for my thread.

Bonnie Bonzai likes this.
    06-15-14 01:38 PM
78 123 ...