AT&T Navigator is the default program on my phone and a program called Tele Nav. I downloaded the AT&T Navigator's 30-day free trial and there have been a couple of snags with it, so I'm looking into other options.

First, it takes awhile to update you after a turn (a problem if you take turns in quick succession). Also, it seemed to have inaccurate info a couple of times.

I haven't tried Tele Nav.

Any suggestions? I have the Curve 8310.

Thanks!
    03-29-09 03:15 PM
    Garmin Mobile works great on my 8330 and its a one time cost as opposed to subscription. There is also a trial version available.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-09 04:33 PM
    I second the Garmin Mobile recommendation. The real-time traffic alone is worth the price. Even if I know exactly where I'm going, I use Garmin Mobile to avoid traffic and give me an ETA. Spoken street names are nice too. I think they've made me a better driver, since I no longer have to look down at the screen to find my turn.

Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile
    Last edited by hubermania; 04-01-09 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Add Garmin promo link for $79
    03-31-09 11:43 PM
    amaze gps and Nav4all are both great and FREE. i like free.....
    03-31-09 11:48 PM
    I downloaded Telmap from the App Store. Has voice navigation, works very well.
    04-03-09 12:56 AM
    Mapquest Navigator 5.0 is what I'm using for $9.99 mo.
    04-04-09 12:44 AM
    I downloaded Telmap from the App Store. Has voice navigation, works very well.
    Which App Store are you talking about? I didn't find the program there
    04-04-09 03:14 PM
    does Garmin save the maps to your media card? or does it require you to be on your carriers service? I its using gps, but just wondering how map updating is done both live (while driving) and when planing a trip in another country.

With 8gbs of memory it would seem smart to store the info on the phone and run the program to access it quicker?

thanks!

Manny
    04-04-09 06:42 PM
    does Garmin save the maps to your media card? or does it require you to be on your carriers service? I its using gps, but just wondering how map updating is done both live (while driving) and when planing a trip in another country.

With 8gbs of memory it would seem smart to store the info on the phone and run the program to access it quicker?

thanks!

Manny
    Garmin maps are stored on their server, they are not stored on your device.
    04-04-09 08:42 PM
    Garmin maps are the best in my experience, as well
    04-04-09 08:43 PM
    does Garmin save the maps to your media card?
    Garmin Mobile uses your data plan to retrieve map data, traffic congestion, routing, and probably voice guidance and spoken street names.
    04-04-09 08:51 PM
    so what happens when your out of your data plans range? IE, if i travel to the US, I will probably get billed for data at roaming rate which is excessive. What if i have the maps already from another device? If i copied the file to my Media card, Can you force Garmin to only use map located on card? In my experience with dedicated handheld GPS units, you dont' need a connection to anything, just a stored map. ?

thanks! : )
    04-04-09 09:26 PM
    Most, if not all, of the ROUTING gps programs require DATA to provding the maps, the routing, the traffic info. That is the downside of these programs on a BB as opposed to a standalone gps unit that has the maps on board and calcs immediately based on the internal information.

So, YES, if you travel outside of your home territory, you could have to use/pay for data for the app to work.

There are some MAP programs that can download maps to the SD card but they do NOT do routing - they will only show you the map and you make your own decisions. But you also have to download/compile these maps in advance so you need to know where you will be.
    04-04-09 10:10 PM
    Which App Store are you talking about? I didn't find the program there
    The Blackberry App Store. However it is country/region specific so you may not be able to see it.
    04-06-09 06:46 AM
    Just wanted to add my $.02 worth on Garmin. I downloaded the 7 day trial today and thought what the heck, I'll fire it up here and just see, knowing I'm deep inside a vault like structure. To date I've installed and tried maybe 10 different GPS programs on my 8330 and have had varying success with very few of them. Not one single other GPS program has ever completed satellite aquisition at my desk. The Garmin hooked up almost immediately and calculate a route to the destination I'd entered and told me the first turn to make. The interface is a virtual mini clone of the nuvi series of Garmins with a clean look and enough detail to keep me happy. I was blown away with the success right "out of the box" where no other program, free or otherwise, had ever done.

I had been looking at getting a dedicated nuvi for my travels but the cheapest decent one is well over $200. With that in mind maybe the $99 for this program is cheap...
    04-06-09 03:39 PM
    Go to the Owner's Lounge at BlackBerry.com. They often have Garmin Mobile at a discounted $79 price.

04-14-09 07:21 PM
    With the Garmin, is there a way to mute the voice navigation?
    04-17-09 12:09 PM
    good to know..thanks
    04-17-09 12:11 PM
    I was in a garmin store yesterday. I wonder if they have a demo ?

04-20-09 12:02 PM
    I am a TeleNav fan.
    04-20-09 12:23 PM
    so what happens when your out of your data plans range? IE, if i travel to the US, I will probably get billed for data at roaming rate which is excessive. What if i have the maps already from another device? If i copied the file to my Media card, Can you force Garmin to only use map located on card? In my experience with dedicated handheld GPS units, you dont' need a connection to anything, just a stored map. ?

thanks! : )
    Besides being charged data roaming rates, you should also check to see if the EU version of Garmin Mobile the Blackberry will allow you to select US addresses and POIs - no worries though, since you can download a free 7-day trial of the North America version.
    04-20-09 02:26 PM
    Where do you find the Garmin demo download? Link?
    04-20-09 04:15 PM
    Hi to all ya BB experts,
    Does anyone know any GPS program for BB BOLD 9000 without the use of data plan? A program that lets you install and save on the memory card. Please assist! Greatly appreciated!
    04-20-09 10:22 PM
    Depends on what type of use you want... Trekbuddy and MobileGmaps (not google) can use maps that you download in advance and place on your SD card - both require map preparation.

Gpslogger (temporarily offline) will track your route and send it to email or google earth.

gps-ed is similar to the one above but also has a site to hold your tracks if you want to share them.

There are other apps like Black* for geocaching.
    04-21-09 12:15 AM
    Where do you find the Garmin demo download? Link?
    This is posted on Garmin's US site:

Simply enter the following link in your Blackberry browser: getmobile.garmin.com/trial

it's a 7-day full featured trial
    Last edited by pscheuer; 04-21-09 at 04:06 PM.
    04-21-09 03:29 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD