I will be travelling to London, Barcelona and Amsterdam this summmer, I was wondering if anyone has prior experience with prepaid sims in europe, Im looking to call back canada and use data. Thank in advance to any responses.
    04-11-10 01:49 PM
    Prepaid exits in the UK on T-mobile, Orange and I think O2. You can get a pre paid sim from any high street retailer for Data and calls, data including standard BB BIS. I find when I travel abroad, slip in my newly purchased pre paid sim all my settings remain the same and I continued to recieve e-mails, PIN messages, surf, etc.
    That's why I love Blackberry ( I use the full compliment of 10 email addresses on my phone).

However be warned international calls are not cheap!!!

There are much cheaper pre paid sims for International calls for about a 10th of the cost (try Lycamobile or Lebara, but for calls only).

Sorry can't advise about mainland Europe, but certain they'll have similar.

Hope this helps somewhat
    04-11-10 05:04 PM
    Thank you for your help
    04-14-10 11:34 AM
    Similar to Rob7, I'll be traveling to Europe this summer but I'm just looking for some sort of prepaid data-only SIM. I'll be spending some time in Egypt, Greece and Paris, but I will be going through Gatwick airport.

What are the best prepaid SIM's available? Doing a search on Google brings up too much information and I fear I can't trust most vendors, so if I can get some guidance here it would be appreciated.

Thanks
    05-04-10 05:58 AM
    I am doing the exact same trip with the addition of Prague in a couple of weeks. This is from another forum and appears to be the best deal I can find for roaming within Europe. I can't tell however whether this will apply on BB's using BIS. Does anyone have any insight?

As of March 1, 2010 T-Mobile UK is offering a Euro Internet Booster for their SIMs when roaming in Europe. The 20MB for 5 over 7 days and 50MB for 10 over 30 days are the best deals. Combined with FishText, this could make a great way for keeping in touch via SMS when roaming in Europe.

Quote:
    Euro Internet Boosters (for your phone)

Euro Internet 3MB 1

* Surf the internet for a whole day up to 3MB
    * Use it anytime up to 24 hours from when you buy it
    * Check your emails or browse your favourite websites
    * Update Facebook or Twitter with your holiday status
    * Make plans using sites like TripAdvisor

Euro Internet 20MB 5

* Surf the internet for a whole week up to 20MB
    * Use it anytime up to 7 days from when you buy it
    * Same stuff as 3MB, plus
    * Surf for a whole week on you favourite sites
    * Keep in touch with your social sites, send emails and share your photo's

Euro Internet 50MB 10

* Surf the internet for a whole month up to 50MB
    * Use it over 30 days from when you buy it
    * Same stuff as 20MB, plus
    * Surf your favourite sites for a whole month
    * Check and reply to work or personal emails for your whole stay

How to get your Euro Internet or Broadband Booster

Just try to access data in the normal way via your handset or log in to your mobile broadband account when you're in Europe and you'll be offered the relevant options above - just choose the one you need and get surfing.

Pay per day customers
    Make sure you top up before you go, and the cost will come off your balance.
    05-30-10 08:48 PM
    There are a couple of international SIM cards you can get - i would advise against getting a sim locked to one country and then finding the cheapest roaming charges, as it can be expensive for a person to call YOU too.

Try something like worldsim - i remember a guy handing out flyers at St Pancras with international SIMs.
    05-30-10 10:38 PM
    Or you could use Skype or something cheaper.
    05-30-10 11:11 PM
    sorry, trying to find a solution for tim and myself (for a data only solution). For me at least, I won't be doing much calling and having access to BBM and google maps on my BB is sufficient. That's why I'm asking if anyone knows if hte T-Mobile euro internet booster will work with BIS as it appears to be the best data only roaming solution that I've found.

Thanks!
    05-30-10 11:16 PM
    orange is really good imho
    05-31-10 08:56 PM
    The last time I travelled to the UK, I used a UK (Virgin) sim in my regular phone. It was a really good deal. Cost something like 15 pounds, which included 10 pounds of talk time. I made a brief call back to Canada (just a couple of minutes), and was surprised that it cost me only 20p.

When I next go, I'd like to take my Blackberry, and it would be helpful to have access to Google Maps, and some other web apps (especially for checking train schedules), as well as Blackberry messaging. The data plans that were discussed on this thread don't sound like they offer much bandwidth.

Is 50 Mb sufficient for a month of (light) web surfing?

Duncan
    06-03-10 08:41 AM
    Hey there ChrisUofT and Timidement - did you guys end up figuring out which card to use? I'm leaving in a couple weeks to Gatwick, then Nice, Rome, Athens, Madrid and Amsterdam, and then Egypt in between for 1 week. I found a thread to help me out with the Egypt leg, but still stumped on the Euro part...I'm looking to have my apps, surf and bbm. Not worried about having cheap voice....any advice? Thanks!!
    09-11-10 12:22 AM
    I am a frequent traveler and I have found out how to make roaming cellular
    calls from overseas at a much less expensive rate. Prepaid global SIM cards
    and Internet calling accounts for iPhones are just some of the convenient
    products with low cost per minute rates offered on intouchsmartcards. World Phones, International prepaid SIM cards, Global Roaming and Local SIM Cards, international traveller wireless service[/url] They helped me with an affordable global SIM card
    that I could use almost anywhere in the world. They are very knowledgeable,
    have the best service I have found and cheapest call rates for quad band GSM
    phones. The SmartFree Quattro international SIM card works everywhere I
    travel.
    11-01-10 10:47 AM
    I changed my italian SIM card and switched from Wind to Vodafone.
    I got following plan from Saveonroaming.de
    For Italy: 300 MB a day for 1 (effective usage day)
    For Europe: 100 MB a day for 2 (effective usage day)
    Europe means all countries covered by Vodafone.
    To me it was important to have Spain, France, Italy and Greece.
    But there are also Austria, Belgium, Germany, England, Ireland, Malta, Holland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Romania, Switzerland, Hungary.
    12-16-10 05:03 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD