I'm largely accustomed to google maps, but I've been disappointed with the way it deals with GPS. I've tried giving it all the appropriate permissions, but even then, I have to go to BB Maps and start using the GPS there, then go back to google maps and only then have it position me properly. (Am I missing something?)

Anyway, even when the GPS works, I found that google maps sometimes gives ambiguous or outright bad directions, and two days ago, it (or BB maps, which was running background) rebooted my phone out of the blue while I was driving. Took me 10 minutes to get back on the right track - there were 3 highways and I didn't know which one to get on because of the reboot.

To make the long story short, I enabled Telenav, and like it for the most part. Some of the annoyances I found with it are cumbersome search functions and a voice that just sounds horrible (like my speaker is blown).

So, before I shell out any money for a paid maps app, I just wanted to consult other crackberry addicts
    02-12-09 01:02 AM
    i have always used google maps, HOWEVER, i like how the GPS of bb maps works, although i still like how google maps runs with its software
    02-12-09 01:04 AM
    I think you will get a bunch of different answers to this because everyone has their own personal favorite. I prefer GoogleMaps.
    02-12-09 01:07 AM
    I have amAze downloaded but haven't used it yet. Its free at amAzeGPS.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 01:13 AM
    Yeah, google maps is a fine application for the most part, but its reluctance to use GPS along with some other annoying mistakes it made (like making me drive to and walk around a mall looking for a Panda Express which wasn't there) make me want to switch.

So far, I've only used Telenav a few times, but cumbersome as it is, it hasn't led me astray, tell me to make a turn where there wasn't one, etc. The things I like about it are that it keeps the map on top of me at all times (google seems to forget sometimes, forcing me to tap 0). The idea that I can set the screen not to dim, and the fact that it's easy to read.

I don't mind getting different answers either, that way I can weigh pro's and con's to find something I'll like. Incidentally, after using blackberries for 2+ years, this will probably be my first paid app... Just goes to show how good about sharing the community is
    02-12-09 01:21 AM
    Yeah, google maps is a fine application for the most part, but its reluctance to use GPS along with some other annoying mistakes it made (like making me drive to and walk around a mall looking for a Panda Express which wasn't there) make me want to switch.

So far, I've only used Telenav a few times, but cumbersome as it is, it hasn't led me astray, tell me to make a turn where there wasn't one, etc. The things I like about it are that it keeps the map on top of me at all times (google seems to forget sometimes, forcing me to tap 0). The idea that I can set the screen not to dim, and the fact that it's easy to read.

I don't mind getting different answers either, that way I can weigh pro's and con's to find something I'll like. Incidentally, after using blackberries for 2+ years, this will probably be my first paid app... Just goes to show how good about sharing the community is
    you could wait until march when the Rimm app store is launched
    02-12-09 01:23 AM
    What are some benefits (other than seeing all apps together) will the app store have over buying directly from developers?
    02-12-09 01:27 AM
    lol....no idea....i'd imagine it being quite similiar to the apple app store....free apps, free trials, paid apps......mostly just compiling all the apps together that would work for a specific phone would be great....i see the app store as a big release for companies to create games for blackberries
    02-12-09 01:31 AM
    Google Maps rocks, but I wish there was something to store maps on the device (Garmin, are you listening?)
    02-12-09 01:49 AM
    If you have the BB data plan does using the BBmaps or the telenav charge you anything extra?
    02-12-09 02:36 AM
    Telenav is about 10 a month through TMobile. Garmin is about 100 one time fee. AmAze is free. Those are rhe only ones I know of so far.

02-12-09 02:49 AM
    Google Maps... it's free... it's good... now they added Google Latitude (on 3.0.1), which allows you to share your location with other friends (this will even include iPhone users when they release this to them soon - right now it's only available to BB users).
    02-12-09 07:15 AM
    Telenav is about 10 a month through TMobile. Garmin is about 100 one time fee. AmAze is free. Those are rhe only ones I know of so far.

Has GARMIN released a version compatible with the 8900 yet?
    02-12-09 08:57 AM
    I use it with googlemaps it works fine just takes time to recalculate. Now with Latitude I definitely will stick with gmaps lol
    02-12-09 09:33 AM
    Is there a way to get BBMaps to talk you through the directions like a normal GPS? Thanks!
    02-12-09 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD