Let’s be realistic here.... TCL sells how many smartphone per year? 5M?
    "According to research firm IDC, TCL had the fifth-highest smartphone market share in North America in 2016, with 10.9 million phones shipped through its various brands. Worldwide, it ranked tenth, with 32.9 million units shipments. But the company says its global shipments fell 39% in the first quarter of 2017"

For some context to manage any unbridled enthusiasm at the numbers:

"The move would seem to put TCL at odds with its own sub-brands. But past comments from TCL’s North American boss Steve Cistulli and other execs have pointed to a strategy where the company tries to use its various brands to cover different niches — the KeyOne is for keyboard lovers, Alcatel phones are for budget buyers, and so on."

Link: Major TV maker TCL will release its own phones in US this year - Business Insider

If this sort of strategy is indeed true, it would support the thought that TCL is producing fairly small runs of BlackBerrys. Particularly if also following the fast model refresh cycle pretty common to the Android arena.
    09-21-17 01:37 PM
    it appears that their strategy is "wide" instead of "deep". I swear they are more worried about how many countries the phone is sold in than how many actually sell in each of those countries. who knows though, it might turn out to be a stroke of genius.
    09-21-17 02:03 PM

"According to research firm IDC, TCL had the fifth-highest smartphone market share in North America in 2016, with 10.9 million phones shipped through its various brands. Worldwide, it ranked tenth, with 32.9 million units shipments. But the company says its global shipments fell 39% in the first quarter of 2017"

For some context to manage any unbridled enthusiasm at the numbers:

"The move would seem to put TCL at odds with its own sub-brands. But past comments from TCL’s North American boss Steve Cistulli and other execs have pointed to a strategy where the company tries to use its various brands to cover different niches — the KeyOne is for keyboard lovers, Alcatel phones are for budget buyers, and so on."

Link: Major TV maker TCL will release its own phones in US this year - Business Insider

If this sort of strategy is indeed true, it would support the thought that TCL is producing fairly small runs of BlackBerrys. Particularly if also following the fast model refresh cycle pretty common to the Android arena.
    I saw the article they you quoted on TCL... but can't find an IDC report to support it. Fifth is hard to believe as I can think of five major brands that most carriers offer... and TCL isn't one of those. Did find a ComScore report and it's didn't have TCL/Alcatel in the top five in US. Too be honest I'd expect Sony, Huawei, ZTE, LeEco and Xiaomi to come after those listed on ComScore... before TCL.

But they do have the #3 Best Seller in unlocked cell phones on Amazon.... $48 Alcatel Ideal and there is the #12 $99 Alcatel A30, their most expensive phone $199 is the new Idol 5s but it isn't ranked yet. That said Blu has more phones on that list and most are higher positions on that list, I wonder where they rank in NA?
    09-21-17 02:20 PM
    450-600K shipped (gusstimate) - overall once they completed the world wide launch, should be around 1.5- 2million. based on small run lines of 150K per month (remember the K1 is not share parts with other TCL product, too small qty the recovery of tooling and test software are not going to be worth it)x3 month (june, July, Aug). All the prior shipping - including May are wash - the screen fall off kills it... but they might counts that as shipment - where my high number come from... This including all the version of K1 - being black or silver, 3Gb or 4Gb... ideally, it should hit 5 million for the duration... (there is a potential, but need some push - carrier promotion). IMHO. (BB stock went up 5% due to autonamous car deal with Delphi... last quarter, the SAF still 35 million, that means at least 700K device still out there need to be replaced)...
    I like your thinking. I think TLC would not bother releasing black edition of silver edition did not sell well.
    10-03-17 03:20 PM
    I would say 10k to 50k tops. I have not seen one here in the USA.
    10-12-17 05:38 AM
    have seen several in my town and before the K1, I never saw a Priv or a Passport.
    10-12-17 06:00 AM
    Will get to black edition when the price drops, same spect than the new Motion so I'll way for the keyone

Posted via CB10
    10-12-17 06:12 AM
    I saw a guy using a Passport on the subway in D.C. I saw another guy using a Passport at the airport in Regina Saskatchewan of all places. I saw 2 people in China using classics. I really enjoyed my Passport and am currently using the Black Edition Keyone here in the US.
    10-19-17 11:31 AM
83 ... 234