Hi, I have a Curve 8310 with AT&T, and have only used the yahoo maps on it, and i want to use something better and dont know where to start.

What is the best and easiest GPS to use for my phone on at&t.

telenav? google? att navigator? amazegps? nav4all? garmin? or something else?

I am so confused with the different options. I don't mind paying $10 a month or so as long as its the best option. Do any of them speak the directions? Turn by turn? I was thinking of trying telenav, but is there something better?

Thanks!!!
    09-18-08 03:57 PM
    Ah yes, the million dollar question. First of all - I would not pay 10 bucks a month for TeleNav. It's nice but not that nice and hey 10 bucks is 10 bucks! I believe the only thing it's giving you is that it speaks the directions. For my money ($0.00) I really like google maps which just got a nice upgrade recently for our BlackBerry. This is nice especially if you're in a large city but Google does not speak the directions. Let us know what you settle on.
    09-19-08 12:00 PM
    Ditto on Google Maps.
    09-19-08 12:09 PM
    Garmin Mobile rules - $100 for the lifetime of your phone.
    09-19-08 12:09 PM
    I have not tried Garmin. But the $10 on telenav has some value. It's definitely a nice app - easy to read maps using vectors. Accurate as can be. Constantly updated, and built-in traffic, which has actually helped my a few times.

Google maps is a handy utility, which I still use because its database is google, which is the biggest database, like, ever. But nothing beats turn-by-turn voice navigation.

nav4all is a good alternative.
    09-19-08 02:46 PM
    I love Google maps, but I have Nav4All in case I want turn-by-turn voice navigation.
    09-19-08 05:25 PM
    Amazing has voice turn by turn guidance also. I just switched to LiveSearch by microsoft. No voice although you can talk to it! A little buggy at first, its a beta, but all in all a very nice app.
    09-20-08 10:41 AM
    I agree with Garmin. You can try it out they give you a free 7 day trial then you pay a one time fee of $100 for the life of the phone. I have tried many different GPS apps and have found this to be the best. Most that aren't free do have free trials its best to just try a few and see which one you prefer.
    09-20-08 09:48 PM
    After living with the Garmin software for a few days, I feel I'm in a good position to comment since I also use a Garmin Nuvi 360.

No question that the dedicated GPS is the better interface to be using in a moving vehicle.

On the other hand, the Garmin software
    on a Curve 8310 has some things to recommend it, also:

In favor of the Curve:

- It's always with you. Very good, then for pedestrian nav around cities, public transport, etc.
    - Dynamic real-time features such as Google search, weather, and traffic without extra subscriptions
    - Real-time update to most current maps; no annual updates to buy
    - It's only 100 bucks for the life of the phone.
    - Uncanny ability to track satellites, often with phone/GPS sitting on console rather than dash

Down-sides of the BB version:

- No touch screen makes entering data a bit clunky
    - Doesn't automatically go back to GPS display after you do something like answer or make a phone call
    - Smaller display
    - Smaller fonts on a smaller display
    - Limited display modes; no lat/long, no satellite status, etc.

In favor of the Nuvi (or other comparable dedicated GPS):

- Touch screen much better for use in vehicle
    - Doesn't get interrupted for other uses, even when running as an MP3 player
    - Choice of voices
    - Lat/Long and satellite status displays
    - Big, bright display legible from several
    feet away
    - Comes with a mounting solution

To me, for $100 the BB version will never supplant my device that is designed for use in a moving vehicle.

BUT, the mapping GPS that you have is a lot better than the one left behind in your other car (or in the car when you're on foot) and so the Garmin GPS software represents a very worthwhile upgrade to a Curve.

And it's much better than dealing with any of the stuff they charge for monthly.
    11-05-08 03:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD