03-31-10 11:12 PM
82 1234
tools
    switch to sprint, telenav is free and its better then garmin, trust me i'm sorry i wasted 100 on garmin lifetime subscription...
    07-08-09 04:33 PM
    A one time $79 fee is not too bad. I'd consider that . Does this include the features that most car units call "plus services?" Fuel prices, locations of traffic light "safety" cameras, traffic reports (avoids heavily congested routes in real time), etc?

Also, I know that maps change all the time. For my home unit, I plug it into the computer via USB to update the maps on a monthly basis. Since the BB has a data connection, is this done OTA I would assume? How often does a new app version come out? Is the update included with that $79?

Sorry for all the questions .
    The mobile version is almost exactly the same as one of the Nuvi versions I bought my mom last year. I know that mine does the fuel prices and the traffic. I have not tried or looked for the red light camera feature. The maps are not stored on the phone so they are constantly being updated and as far as I can tell they are extremely current. As for software updates I honestly have no idea. I have had the software for about 8 months and it has been working so flawlessly that I have not even looked.

They do offer a 7 day free trial, but I will warm you that you will probably buy it if you try it.

Also, if you want it for the $79 price then here is a link.
    Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile
    07-10-09 11:09 AM
    Yeah, but that's from February, and they're saying there that it only works on the Storm. I've gotten the OS 4.5 for my 8830 and still no luck using internal GPS with google maps. I just confirmed that now - BB maps has a lock with 11 satellites but google can't get closer than a 1600-meter radius.
    BlackBerry maps is the only one that will work with the 8830, 8330 or 8130 from Verizon. You can pick up a GPS puck and just about any GPS software will work for these models though.
    07-10-09 11:11 AM
    would you say life in your pocket is better then windows live search?
    I use live search on my locked 8330 curve. Its great step by step directions ( no voice) the maps rock and the ability to zoom in and see where traffic is backed up is a real plus. when I travel to large cities its cool to get a broad view of which freeways to stay off of. I've enjoyed the program very much. But as a crackhead always looking for the latest and greatest to put on my new tour
    07-10-09 11:44 AM
    LifeInPocket has all those features and it's free. LifeInPocket - Your life in your pocket

In fact, it has more features than garmin for example, real-time business/restaurants reviews/ratings, location message, more comprehehsive traffic/gas price finder. The UI is easier than Garmin too.
    Might be good on a Storm, but is horrible on a Curve IMHO.
    07-10-09 01:54 PM
    Unfortunately the GPS on your 8330 is locked by Verizon. Non of the 3rd party GPS app will work. Storm is the only one GPS not locked by Verizon.

You probably have to pay for VZ Nav and other VZ GPS app. Probably $15 a month for all those features.
    Actually, I have a bluetooth gps puck so I can use any of the gps software that is available. I obviously would not have made a comment about life in pocket if i had not used it. I have used LifeInPocket, Amaze, Telenav, GoogleMaps, Nav4All, BlackBerry maps, VzNav, AAA mobile, where and Garmin.

Knowing that LifeInPocket, AmazeGPS and nav4all are free aps with turn by turn directions I don't expect them to fully live up to some of the paid apps out there. Out of the 3 AmazeGPS was the most feature rich and Nav4all was the simplest and possibly the most accurate. LifeInPocket was just too jumbled and I found the UI to be horrendous. The attempts to make it look like some kind of iPhone was terrible and it was far too hard to navigate on my 8330. I have no idea why or how you find the UI better than Garmin's straight forward design. The main problem I had with any of these was that they all ran EXTREMELY slow. Nav4all was probably the fastest, but only because it was the simplest. Now, please understand that I am not really trying to bash any of these companies/groups. They provide a useful product for free and I think that is great. For those that like it, I encourage them to use it and enjoy it at a great price.

Google maps, Blackberry maps and Where are also nice free apps that do a good job but do not offer turn by turn vocal directions.

Telenav, VZnav and AAA mobile are pretty much all the same app. They each cost $10 a month and do the same things.

Garmin, while being the most expensive up front, is the cheapest of any of the paid apps over time and the best of them all as I see it. The program is very fast, the UI is perfect and the features work flawlessly. The traffic avoidance has saved me hundreds of times and the time I have saved has paid for the app about 20 times over. It really functions like having a stand alone GPS unit in my pocket 24/7.

Like I said earlier, this is just my recommendation. If you don't rely on gps that often then it shouldn't be that big of a deal and one of the free apps may work just fine for you. I do rely on my GPS at least 3 or 4 times a day everyday and Garmin is the one I rely on.

For anyone that is really this interested in GPS software and performance then I recommend you do your own research and try some of the software out for yourself. You can get a lot more information at the following 2 locations:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/

Blackberry GPS Software and Reviews
    07-10-09 02:35 PM

Telenav, VZnav and AAA mobile are pretty much all the same app. They each cost $10 a month and do the same things.

For anyone that is really this interested in GPS software and performance then I recommend you do your own research and try some of the software out for yourself. You can get a lot more information at the following 2 locations:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/

Blackberry GPS Software and Reviews

I use Telenav and have a question about VZnav I am told it is $15 and doesn't have street names in the audio on the "Turn Right" etc. no
    "Turn Right onto Market Street" is this correct ?

Thanks
    07-10-09 02:41 PM
    I use Telenav and have a question about VZnav I am told it is $15 and doesn't have street names in the audio on the "Turn Right" etc. no
    "Turn Right onto Market Street" is this correct ?

Thanks
    I believe it is $15 a month for a regular phone because you need data access and $10 for a smart phone because you have real data access. As for street names, it has been a little while since I used VZnav so I can't honestly say that I remember. I believe that it would just say, "Turn right" and not include the street names, but like I said I just don't remember.
    07-10-09 02:46 PM
    Wow, all you guys that love Life In Pocket so much sure do talk about it A LOT.

Maybe a little too much.
    07-10-09 07:32 PM
    It's probably one of the most popular app among Storm users. Most Storm users really like it.

I am using it daily and it never failed me.
    That would explain it.

Like I said before, none of these apps are really bad. Some are a little slow and some offer more features. If the free ones work for you then go for it. The nice part is that you can play with any of them for free and see what you think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 08:02 PM
    Also, if you want it for the $79 price then here is a link.
    Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the discount link! Just ordered a copy. I have a Garmin nuvi and I love the Garmin interface. This has been an interesting thread...
    07-10-09 10:32 PM
    You got a VZW Tour already? Is the GPS blocked?
    No, not yet. It's on order...
    07-10-09 11:15 PM
    I like Garmin UI better than VZ Nav, it's very similar to LifeInPocket. You can one click to search pizza restaurants too but it's missing restaurant ratinfs , reviews etc.

Still, it's much cheaper than VZ Nav and Telenav.
    Does the Garmin have audio turn by turn that states the name of the streets ?
    07-10-09 11:26 PM
    Does the Garmin have audio turn by turn that states the name of the streets ?
    Yes it does.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-09 12:07 AM
    Which app has the local search function like VZNav? I liked being able to type in a store or restaurant and VZNav found them.
    07-12-09 07:47 PM
    Was anyone able to get LifeInPocket to work on their Tour?
    I chose the correct option on download, and set permissions to "allow." Anything I'm missing, as mine does not work...?
    07-13-09 07:01 PM
    no vz nav is $10/month
    07-14-09 10:40 PM
    nav4all is also 10/month, so not really a Better deal
    07-14-09 10:41 PM
    I think pretty much anything running OS 4.5 and above?
    Please do research before mis-informing readers.

Verizon enabled the use of Blackberry Maps as the ONLY free app that can access the GPS receiver of the 8130/8330/8830, and for them only when upgraded to OS 4.5. No other free GPS enabled application can access the internal GPS (not Google Maps, not Poynt, not LifeInPocket... nothing else). Your pay options were solely VZNavigator for consumers, while TeleNav could be had in place of VZNavigator for "corporate liable" accounts. Any application that can work with an external GPS receiver puck SHOULD work on these BlackBerry smartphones.

Applications on the Storm 9530 and Tour 9630 apparently have unfettered GPS access (including "assisted") as long as they are properly built to the RIM LBS API's.
    07-14-09 10:52 PM
    Which app has the local search function like VZNav? I liked being able to type in a store or restaurant and VZNav found them.
    Superpages mobile blackberry app
    GoodFoodNearYou app (for Storm and maybe now Tour?)
    07-14-09 10:54 PM
    This will be my first BB, so what is the best GPS program for it? I currently have the voyager and really like it, so far I haven't had any real problems using Navigator, it has gotten me to where I wanted to go.

I saw that Garmin app for a monthly charge of $9.99 or it could be bought for a one time price. I also heard something about buying a puck to help with the blue tooth and the GPS. What in the heck is a Puck?

Thanks,
    Try ALL of the FREE ones. Consider the restrictions on paying Garmin $100, versus paying $100/month for the term of your two year contract (so $240), versus just use the freebies. IMHO if the FREE apps don't cut it for you I would consider putting your money towards a separate mapping GPS unit. The screens and usability features are for more suited to their purpose than an app on a BlackBerry smartphone.
    07-14-09 11:03 PM
    Please do research before mis-informing readers.

Verizon enabled the use of Blackberry Maps as the ONLY free app that can access the GPS receiver of the 8130/8330/8830, and for them only when upgraded to OS 4.5. No other free GPS enabled application can access the internal GPS (not Google Maps, not Poynt, not LifeInPocket... nothing else). Your pay options were solely VZNavigator for consumers, while TeleNav could be had in place of VZNavigator for "corporate liable" accounts. Any application that can work with an external GPS receiver puck SHOULD work on these BlackBerry smartphones.

Applications on the Storm 9530 and Tour 9630 apparently have unfettered GPS access (including "assisted") as long as they are properly built to the RIM LBS API's.

Ok so I am confused on this unlocked GPS thing . I am looking at getting a couple of bb soon and was going to get a tour and curve. IF I get it on verizon can I do the following with both phones:
    Google Latitude
    BB messenger location request
    show me moving on bb maps when traveling
    beyond 411 searches
    Where searches for location based companies.

Will these work on both the curve and the Tour. I know Sprint offers this on both devices but how about Verizon?
    07-14-09 11:28 PM
    Get this! In USA Today, there's an article today in the Money section about how Verizon is complaining to the FCC that Cablevision will not give them access to the HD feed to the MSG sports channel that Cablevision owns! WOW... Verizon, we've been complaining for YEARS about you not "unlocking" our phones to use services that we've paid for or are free (GPS) with software we want to use. Please tell me, how the **** is this any different!!!!! Cablevision, do NOT give them access to any of your proprietary services. I have a BB 8830 and I can't even use the GPS software that I want to use. I travel to EU a lot (leaving for 2 weeks next Tuesday) and I won't have descent GPS services. Verizon, you really take the cake on this one. Sorry for my sudden outburst but this really set me off.

Here's the link to the article - FCC to hear disputes on channel access - USATODAY.com
    Last edited by bamberry; 07-16-09 at 09:48 AM. Reason: add link
    07-16-09 09:42 AM
    Get this! In USA Today, there's an article today in the Money section about how Verizon is complaining to the FCC that Cablevision will not give them access to the HD feed to the MSG sports channel that Cablevision owns! WOW... Verizon, we've been complaining for YEARS about you not "unlocking" our phones to use services that we've paid for or are free (GPS) with software we want to use. Please tell me, how the **** is this any different!!!!! Cablevision, do NOT give them access to any of your proprietary services. I have a BB 8830 and I can't even use the GPS software that I want to use. I travel to EU a lot (leaving for 2 weeks next Tuesday) and I won't have descent GPS services. Verizon, you really take the cake on this one.

Maybe its time the VZW users start to complain to the FCC about VZW.
    07-16-09 09:48 AM
    Has anyone been able to get Life in Pocket to show more than just an arrow? Having a map is helpful in seeing what is coming up. More like Amaze
    07-16-09 12:13 PM
82 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD