This will be my first BB, so what is the best GPS program for it? I currently have the voyager and really like it, so far I haven't had any real problems using Navigator, it has gotten me to where I wanted to go.

I saw that Garmin app for a monthly charge of $9.99 or it could be bought for a one time price. I also heard something about buying a puck to help with the blue tooth and the GPS. What in the heck is a Puck?

Thanks,
    07-07-09 08:54 PM
    This will be my first BB, so what is the best GPS program for it? I currently have the voyager and really like it, so far I haven't had any real problems using Navigator, it has gotten me to where I wanted to go.

I saw that Garmin app for a monthly charge of $9.99 or it could be bought for a one time price. I also heard something about buying a puck to help with the blue tooth and the GPS. What in the heck is a Puck?

Thanks,

you don't need a puck the tour supplys a built in GPS radio..

a puck is a external GPS unit.... that plugs in

the 2 navigation options are the garmin and vznavigator..

other applications support GPS but not turn by turn...

IE blackberry maps and google maps
    07-07-09 09:00 PM
    Cool thanks, I guess it comes down to either paying for it monthly or a one time price.
    07-07-09 09:03 PM
    Verizon recently unlocked GPS in all their phones, you can now use BB Maps and it works great.
    07-07-09 09:09 PM
    here is a question. I'm moving from Tmobile. Currently I have an 8320. I use Garmin, and love it. I'm going to continue to use it, but do I have to pay vzw to enable my GPS?
    07-07-09 09:09 PM
    The garmin being $100 bucks is kinda steep though considering it would only be displayed on a 2.5" diagonal screen...

I wonder if there's any way to find it cheaper online through a 3rd party vendor??
    07-07-09 09:12 PM
    The garmin being $100 bucks is kinda steep though considering it would only be displayed on a 2.5" diagonal screen...

I wonder if there's any way to find it cheaper online through a 3rd party vendor??
    I was wondering about the $100 also, but would $9.99 a month be any better? After 10 months you are there. But i did read that the $100 is for the life of your phone, so if you got a new phone then it would be another $100, and if the phone breaks it is up to Garmin to allow you to get a free one time transfer. Maybe the $9.99 is the way to go, now will it be Navigator or Garmin...Hmmmm
    07-07-09 09:30 PM
    GoogleMaps works like a charm. The only thing it doesn't do is give you vocal turn-by-turn directions over the speaker. It writes them out on the screen. You can update your location/directions during the trip. Free. I use GPS now and then but no way I'd pay $10/month for it or $100 (I bought a TomTom for my car for $100) for software that you can only use on that phone. If the phone goes toes up so does your $100 unless you do some fast talking. Don't pay for GPS if you don't have to.
    Last edited by thebignewt; 07-07-09 at 09:35 PM.
    07-07-09 09:32 PM
    Verizon recently unlocked GPS in all their phones, you can now use BB Maps and it works great.
    Did they unlock GPS on Curves or only newer models?
    07-07-09 09:40 PM
    I think this question was posted somewhere else, but somebody suggested an app called LifeInPocket. It's free and it gives turn-by-turn voice directions. I think it's still in beta, but you can get it from their website.
    07-08-09 01:24 AM
    garmin is awesome. the mygarmin web feature makes it worth the one time $100 fee...plus it will add value to your phone when you sell it to get the next blackberry.
    07-08-09 05:11 AM
    I've been using VZNav and I've never encountered a single issue with it. Good speeds and very accurate. Well worth the $15 a month... But that's just my opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 11:25 AM
    I've been using VZNav and I've never encountered a single issue with it. Good speeds and very accurate. Well worth the $15 a month... But that's just my opinion.

Is it really $15 a month? I have Alltel and know some are not happy with
    the $10 a month with TeleNav
    07-08-09 11:46 AM
    A recent Phone Arena review questioned whether or not the GPS was locked on VZW.
    07-08-09 12:13 PM
    I am actually surprised to not see nav4all on this list. I know it's a more simple app, but I hear it gets the job done and can't beat the price. Any comments?
    07-08-09 12:14 PM
    I am actually surprised to not see nav4all on this list. I know it's a more simple app, but I hear it gets the job done and can't beat the price. Any comments?
    Yes Nav4all is free till the end of the year

No way would I pay for that. I rarely got locked on to be able to use it.
    07-08-09 12:19 PM
    Yes Nav4all is free till the end of the year

No way would I pay for that. I rarely got locked on to be able to use it.
    I love the price tag on Nav4all. Though I just can't see spending $100 for a Garmin app. For that price range I could get a physical unit for my car.
    07-08-09 12:28 PM
    I love the price tag on Nav4all. Though I just can't see spending $100 for a Garmin app. For that price range I could get a physical unit for my car.
    If it works for you that is great, but it worked less that 20% of the time I had it. I can't imagine they will charge much for it when they start in January.
    07-08-09 12:32 PM

i agree..on my lg voyager i paid for the premium plan which included the VZ Navigator...It worked perfectly everytime and i never had to worry about getting lost...On my BB 8330 i don't have that feature becuase i just couldn't afford paying the extra 10 for it...I wish it was a little cheapier but its a great feature and if you ever get a new phone you will still have all your saved addressed on VZ Navigator..
    07-08-09 12:55 PM
    07-08-09 01:01 PM
    I am on a family plan with my mother, brother, and sister. We share 1400 minutes a month. I know that certain plans include free VZnav if they're more on the "premium" side. Since I have such high minutes, would I be entitled to navigation for free? There is no way I'd pay for navigation plus $30 data plan.
    07-08-09 01:37 PM
    Gunna try LifeInPocket
    07-08-09 02:27 PM
    I am on a family plan with my mother, brother, and sister. We share 1400 minutes a month. I know that certain plans include free VZnav if they're more on the "premium" side. Since I have such high minutes, would I be entitled to navigation for free? There is no way I'd pay for navigation plus $30 data plan.
    1400 isnt high for a family plan. in fact, i think its the lowest you can have now. im the primary line on a 4 line family share, and it wouldnt let me lower my plan below 1700.

i doubt they would waive the cost of vznav. BBmaps works fine for navigation. as long as you dont care about voice prompts
    07-08-09 02:34 PM
    I use Garmin mobile. I paid $79 for it (it goes on sale all the time). Works just like one of their stand alone units and I have it with me all the time. It has turn by turn directions with the street names, Garmin or Google POIs, traffic monitoring and avoidance, weather info on your destination and the maps are always up to date. If you really break it down the app is only $6.58 a month for a one year or $3.29 a month for a two year contract. If you switch phones in the first year they will let you transfer the program over so you could potentially have it for 3 years at $2.19 per month. Much cheaper than VzNav and it is much much better IMHO.
    07-08-09 03:17 PM
    I use Garmin mobile. I paid $79 for it (it goes on sale all the time). Works just like one of their stand alone units and I have it with me all the time. It has turn by turn directions with the street names, Garmin or Google POIs, traffic monitoring and avoidance, weather info on your destination and the maps are always up to date. If you really break it down the app is only $6.58 a month for a one year or $3.29 a month for a two year contract. If you switch phones in the first year they will let you transfer the program over so you could potentially have it for 3 years at $2.19 per month. Much cheaper than VzNav and it is much much better IMHO.
    A one time $79 fee is not too bad. I'd consider that . Does this include the features that most car units call "plus services?" Fuel prices, locations of traffic light "safety" cameras, traffic reports (avoids heavily congested routes in real time), etc?

Also, I know that maps change all the time. For my home unit, I plug it into the computer via USB to update the maps on a monthly basis. Since the BB has a data connection, is this done OTA I would assume? How often does a new app version come out? Is the update included with that $79?

Sorry for all the questions .
    07-08-09 03:27 PM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD