Hey everyone one, I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the direction of getting a really good gps for my phone. I have the storm 9530 and my carrier is verizon. I was using my sisters iPhone tonight and I want something similar to what she has on hers. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    11-09-09 02:43 AM
    I have the storm 9530 on verizon as well. I did not like the idea of paying verizon 2.99 a month or whatever it is for the vz nav app so I went with the Garmin mobile app for Blackberry. I paid 80.00 bucks for it but it is a one time fee and i think it is much better plus i have paid for it already in fees and dont have to worry about the monthly fee anymore. Good luck!!!

Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile
    11-09-09 04:28 AM
    For turn-by-turn with spoken directions, there are a variety including the Garmin (purchase through BB Lounge for a 20% discount), the Verizon product, and others - see the GPS Subforum.

Then there are other apps such as a geocaching program - Blackstar - free

Track and log your hikes, walks, bike rides and even drives - gpslogger - free

And more. Again go to the gps forum and scan the various threads.
    11-09-09 10:44 AM
    I have tried several including free ones. I like Telenav the best. It has a monthly fee, but is worth it. Saved me several times. Has not only spoken turn by turn directions, but ability to input your destination by voice. You can add and delete addresses from your PC, and they will update on the phone. I don't know if Verizon supports Telenav.

Ken
    11-09-09 07:18 PM
    I have tried several including free ones. I like Telenav the best. It has a monthly fee, but is worth it. Saved me several times. Has not only spoken turn by turn directions, but ability to input your destination by voice. You can add and delete addresses from your PC, and they will update on the phone. I don't know if Verizon supports Telenav.

Ken
    Isn't vzw navigator just a rebranded telenav? I have alltel now verizon and they have telenav as well....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 12:59 AM
    Thanks for the help everyone! I downloaded the google maps i'm going to test it out tomorrow. I want the turn by turn spoken gps, so we will see how this works.
    11-10-09 02:25 AM
    You could also see if amaze GPS has a compatible version for your phone. It has spken turn by turn. Google maps does not, unless you have the droid.

11-10-09 10:18 AM
    Isn't vzw navigator just a rebranded telenav? I have alltel now verizon and they have telenav as well....

Not sure, I haven't researched that. But, really like Telenav.

I tried Amaze and it was slow with a lot of grey tiles. However, that was on a 8700g not my current 8900. Otherwise, not a bad free app.

Ken
    11-10-09 12:08 PM
    Google maps does not have turn by turn spoken directions. Telenav and VZ Nav are both rebranding versions of NIM applications. You can download VZ Nav directly by clicking on the icon on the phone. You get what you pay for. The paid apps are generally better and more polished than the free apps and work 100% of the time, if they are mission critical to your requirements. Garmin has a one time fee if you like and want Garmin, VZNAV is $9.99 month. I believe you can download a one week demo of Garmin.
    11-11-09 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD