Is... and can be downloaded where?
    10-10-08 12:38 PM
    Best...for what? You'll get a lot of different responses. For navigating, Google Maps is very popular. You can download it from the Google site. BBMaps is also free and comes installed on most BlackBerries. It's maps are not as pretty, but BBMaps can rotate to show direction of travel up, as opposed to North up. That's a nifty feature that Google has yet to implement.
    10-10-08 01:59 PM
    Jeff, I also have a question regarding maps: which one uses less data while loading? Google or BBMaps?
    10-10-08 03:10 PM
    can anyone suggest or know of which maps apps uses wifi instead of requiring data plan? I think both google maps and BBmaps require data plans.
    10-10-08 07:30 PM
    A mapping app that used wifi would be of very limited use, since you'd be out of the signal when traveling. A possible alternative in that case would be TrekBuddy, which allows you to download your maps in advance to a media card. This option is also potentially useful if you are going to be in an area with no cell coverage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-10-08 07:54 PM
    Jeff, I also have a question regarding maps: which one uses less data while loading? Google or BBMaps?
    That's a hard question to answer definitely. BBMaps have less detail than Google Maps, and so intuitively might be thought to use less data. You can confirm this by looking at the data used values in Options in BBMaps and comparing that to the data used count that Google updates in the upper right corner of the screen. Do this while running both apps at the same time, so that you are using maps of the same area. By this comparison, Google appears to use substantially more data than BBMaps.

Using either app with less than an unlimited data plan is likely to be expensive. You should try both apps in your typical use and see which works best for you..

10-10-08 08:14 PM
    I noticed that Google Maps is taking about 500-600kbps while downloading.

Correct me if I am not right but when it is the 2nd time in an area, it is already there, and not downloading again ?!?!?!
    10-10-08 08:29 PM
    Do these work like a GPS you'd have in your car? Are they turn by turn or does it just give you a list of turns you need to take and the mileage between each one?
    10-10-08 08:30 PM
    I noticed that Google Maps is taking about 500-600kbps while downloading.

Correct me if I am not right but when it is the 2nd time in an area, it is already there, and not downloading again ?!?!?!
    You are correct. Google caches its maps until you close it, so it won't download the same map twice.

10-10-08 08:38 PM
    Do these work like a GPS you'd have in your car? Are they turn by turn or does it just give you a list of turns you need to take and the mileage between each one?
    Both show the route high-lighted on the map, and give you lists of turns and distances. You can alternate between map view and turn view. Neither gives spoken turn-by-turn directions.

10-10-08 09:00 PM
    The only free app I have found which gives voice directions is Nav4All. Isn't a bad app but not very intuitive.
    10-14-08 08:33 PM
    The only free app I have found which gives voice directions is Nav4All. Isn't a bad app but not very intuitive.
    amAzeGPS does the same thing and is also free. You can get it at http://www.amazegps.com.

Elrohir59
    10-15-08 12:26 AM
    I actually use both bbmaps and google maps. I like the strengths of both. Its not practical and I did delete google but reloaded it as I missed it.

10-15-08 12:48 AM
    What I would like to find is a decent geocaching program. I know there are some cool paid ones, but since I work for tips and no one has any money right now I'm already pretty pinched without shelling out money for unnecessary programs.

Anyone know of any decent free ones, one that can generate a local database on the fly would be awesome.

10-15-08 02:07 PM
    so will the turn by turn work with a non gps enabled 8120? google mapsworks on my phone but I would like to be able to get turn by turn.
    10-17-08 12:41 AM
    If you don't have a working internal GPS, you'll need an external GPS to use anything other than Google Maps. I use the Freedom Keychain 2000, which is available from the CrackBerry Store.
    10-17-08 08:18 AM
    What I would like to find is a decent geocaching program. I know there are some cool paid ones, but since I work for tips and no one has any money right now I'm already pretty pinched without shelling out money for unnecessary programs.

Anyone know of any decent free ones, one that can generate a local database on the fly would be awesome.

A small group of us have been developing BlackStar. It works great for Geocaching. Check it out here http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/app...tml#post746243
    10-18-08 03:01 PM
    I've downloaded Nav4All and Amaze and have been trying them out. I uninstalled Amaze as I didn't find it was quick enough on its updating. Beautiful maps though.

Regarding Nav4All, it works pretty well with the exception of two important items. First, for some reason, it rejects a few of the specific address numbers on certain streets, claiming that the number falls outside of a range it has on its database for the given street. Must be some sort of conflict within the software or the interface between the BB and their server(s) as the numbers DO exist and DO fall within the range given. Also, it seems that when it's about time to make a change of direction, both the voice and the display will indicate the distance in yards while it should be in feet. I've submitted a trouble ticket with them to investigate these issues. I'll advise when / if they respond.

I haven't tried BB maps or Google maps, but I'll put them on my list.
    12-01-08 10:16 PM
    I've downloaded Nav4All and Amaze and have been trying them out. I uninstalled Amaze as I didn't find it was quick enough on its updating. Beautiful maps though.

Regarding Nav4All, it works pretty well with the exception of two important items. First, for some reason, it rejects a few of the specific address numbers on certain streets, claiming that the number falls outside of a range it has on its database for the given street. Must be some sort of conflict within the software or the interface between the BB and their server(s) as the numbers DO exist and DO fall within the range given. Also, it seems that when it's about time to make a change of direction, both the voice and the display will indicate the distance in yards while it should be in feet. I've submitted a trouble ticket with them to investigate these issues. I'll advise when / if they respond.

I haven't tried BB maps or Google maps, but I'll put them on my list.
    How do you uninstall nav4all..? this is what it says "you can use nav4all til 01.01.2010" so does that mean they will charge you after that?? thanks
    12-03-08 06:32 PM
    also, where do I go to look for things I have install on the bb or to make changes..? I just got my phone..and i'm quite sure how to use it yet.
    12-03-08 06:34 PM
    How do you uninstall nav4all..? this is what it says "you can use nav4all til 01.01.2010" so does that mean they will charge you after that?? thanks
    You can uninstall it by deleting it from the Applications listed in Options / Advanced Options / Applications. You can also run the Desktop Manager App Loader and uncheck it there. That's the preferred method of removing it, because you can then just as easily reinstall it by running Desktop Manager App Loader again and checking it.

I suspect that after 1/1/2010 you will have to pay a subscription fee for Nav4All to continue working.
    12-03-08 10:29 PM
    I added tha aMaze app on my 8310 curve. I used it the other day on a day trip from my small town in arkansas to a town 3 hrs away, it worked beautifully! Had Garmin on with the same address programmed into both and both had it on the dime!
    Loved it because of the voice direction!! Totally would recommend it to everyone! Be sure to have a car charger tho uses the battery pretty hefty!
    Pooh luvs Jamrock
    ~Crakd out on my berry~

12-03-08 10:40 PM
    Hi. I am new to the whole GPS thing, and so as curious. Is there a free GPS application which could directly contact the satellite and show me my current location and how far am I from the destination? I know there are applications available that do that already, but what I am asking of is about an application that requies no data plan or any kind of internet access. It just use the phone's GPS and does all the work...or anything similar to it? Please help me find it. Also let me know where I can download it from. Thanks.
    Oh, by the way, I am using a blackberry storm 9530 without any internet connection. So please advice keeping this in consideration. Also, I got to know about Nav4All and TrekBuddy and I could find their .jar files, but on installing these, both of them gave some java error.
    Plase let me know! Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by gdswalia; 01-30-10 at 12:49 PM.
    01-30-10 12:46 PM
    If you need preloaded maps, you might want to consider TrekBuddy and Mobile GMaps. These are the only two mapping apps that I know of for the BlackBerry that don't use real-time data. I haven't used either.

01-30-10 12:49 PM
    @JeffH: I checked out Mobile GMaps, but the website says: Internet or WAP access on your cell phone is a must to use this app — MGMaps downloads all map and satellite tiles in real-time over the web. The application is completely free but you may be charged by your network operator for internet access. For optimum performance, a broadband connection like EDGE, 3G, HSDPA or WiFi is recommended.

Since I dont have internet access on my phone, I will not be able to use this software. Please advice me of something more! Thanks in advance.
    01-30-10 01:02 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD