First on any mobile phones?
    03-30-13 04:42 PM
    First on any mobile phones?
    Not exactly unless you're talking about that particular gesture to activate the display. Nokia's meego harmattan OS had a double tap to activate the screen (without the need to use a physical button) for quite some time already. It is also a OS that is heavily gesture based without any buttons on the front of the phone. The PlayBook might not be a mobile phone, but you can swipe from bezel to bezel to activate the display as well.

Also, it seems that Nokia might be trying to bring that back on their Windows Phone devices.
    FM Radio to return to Windows Phone 8, Nokia to continue improving their Lumias with new features | Windows Phone Central

It is one of my favourite gestures as well. Which would be vastly improved by complimenting it with a way to turn off the display without a physical button as well, like on PlayBook OS (where you can tap on the battery icon, and then tap a button to sleep the display). If you have screen timeout at 10 or 20 secs, you can probably just wait it out, but of course thats not really great for battery since the display does use a lot of power.
    03-30-13 09:21 PM
    Do you mean slide to turn on phone?

Cause most phones don't require buttons to unlock.
    03-30-13 11:13 PM
    Do you mean slide to turn on phone?

Cause most phones don't require buttons to unlock.
    To wake up, and unlock.

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 12:08 AM
    If would be cool if we had a way to also turn off the display without using the button as was already stated.

Posted via CB10 - FINALLY
    03-31-13 12:25 AM
    If would be cool if we had a way to also turn off the display without using the button as was already stated.

Technically you can. If you swipe to wake it up, just to check the time, see if you have any new messages or something, then without letting go swipe back down to the bottom; it will go back to sleep.

Freaking awesome!

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 12:32 AM
    Yup, on the N9 there was double tap to unlock.

And then to lock the screen, there was a simple app you could install from the store for free, that just gave you an icon, where all it would do is lock the screen.

I personally kept it on the top right, so I always knew where it was.

The N9 also had a quick launch bar you could access by swiping up and holding an app (think peek, but from the bottom, and it would hold) which by customizing, I out the app there, and could lock my screen from any app.

All without touching the physical power button.

It was great, one of the few things I really miss about my N9.

Posted via TimeMachine
    03-31-13 12:48 AM
    Technically you can. If you swipe to wake it up, just to check the time, see if you have any new messages or something, then without letting go swipe back down to the bottom; it will go back to sleep.

Freaking awesome!

Posted via CB10
    This is a gesture I use really often too. I lock my screen in Hub view, so that when a new msg comes in, i can just use this gesture to check if its important.

However, once you get into the active frames, app launcher, you still need that sleep button on the top of the phone. Which is a little inconvenient at times, like on a desk for example. I've found myself replying short messages without picking up the phone at all since flicking up words are so convenient. So the ability to sleep the display after having unlocked the device will make it much more convenient.
    03-31-13 01:01 AM
    The question is why don't we have a way to lock the phone without buttons?

Posted via CB10
    03-31-13 02:14 AM
    The question is why don't we have a way to lock the phone without buttons?

Posted via CB10
    You do, wait until it autolocks.
    03-31-13 08:15 AM

Freaking awesome!

Posted via CB10
    I love that! I actually use that daily its awesome for sure! That's one of the things I show off when my friends ask my about the phone. Not sure if it sways them but it sure is cool for me

03-31-13 11:10 AM