I will be in house X, my partner will be in house Y - both have internet but neither have reliable phone signals (so calls and texts are out) - I have an android tablet and a WP7 phone, they have a Bold 9000 - what is the best cross-platform communication app for us so that we can communicate?
    07-31-12 08:23 AM
    What's wrong with an IM app like Yahoo Messenger, AIM, etc.?
    cgk likes this.
    07-31-12 08:30 AM
    If you don't want to use YIM, Gtalk, or another chat platform, I recommend WhatsApp. It works very well, is almost as reliable as BBM, and works on BB, iOS, and Android.
    cgk likes this.
    07-31-12 08:44 AM
    What's wrong with an IM app like Yahoo Messenger, AIM, etc.?
    Nothing, sorry I should be clearer - I'm just trying to find out which of those options has the best app for Blackberry and is also available on other platforms - so I guess I'm asking for preference.
    07-31-12 09:03 AM
    Hookt seems to work, as does LiveProfile
    cgk likes this.
    07-31-12 09:07 AM
    I still think that AOL Instant Messenger, as old as it is, is a great option here. My wife and I used to use this at work, where cell service was horrific, but the wifi was always on.
    07-31-12 09:11 AM
    Nothing, sorry I should be clearer - I'm just trying to find out which of those options has the best app for Blackberry and is also available on other platforms - so I guess I'm asking for preference.
    As I recall, Yahoo worked just fine on my 9000, so I imagine it still does. Although I don't really use IM much anymore, I prefer Yahoo only because I'd been using it since it was known as Yahoo Pager -- yikes, 14 years ago . . . .
    07-31-12 10:01 AM
    LiveProfile works very well. "d" and "r" indicators. Always on. Much like BBM. On Android you can also send pictures through it (can see them on BB but can't send).
    07-31-12 10:03 AM
    Loving whatsapp! They update often as well. You can send pictures and a variety of other files too.

Well worth checking it out!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    rrrebo likes this.
    07-31-12 10:29 AM
    Gtalk. It can be used on PC, Mac, smartphones and tablets. The conversations also stay in the cloud and can be continued from any device.

Gtalk is already on your Android tablet as well. It always stays signed on as long as there is an internet connection unless you tell it otherwise.
    rrrebo likes this.
    07-31-12 11:04 AM
    facebook is def the most universal......

i also have hookt thats pretty awesome
    07-31-12 12:43 PM
    This is a pretty good thread that addresses many aspects of "what makes a good cross-platform communication app."
    07-31-12 02:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD