Now reading through the Crackberry forums, I notice a lot of people complaining at the lack of certain things such as apps (instagram, netflix) and features (quad core processors, 1080p) to name a few
    People are upset, saying BlackBerry should just give us what we want as consumers and that will be the fix. In my opinion however the best companies in the world don't give consumers what they want, they TELL them what they want.

A quote I really enjoy is
    "If I asked my customers what they want, we would just have a faster horse" (Henry Ford)

Companies telling consumers what they want and need is what spurs on innovation and the best of ideas. Blackberry is trying to tell us that
    -We want quad core/octacore processors, what we really need is QNX BB10 which runs efficiently and effectively with just a dual core with improved battery life
    -We want all the top apps like instagram and netflix, what we really need is a mobile browser with the highest HTML5 score on the market as everything will become web based in the near future and you will need a browser which will run everything
    -We want a tablet and Laptop to have an ecosystem, what we really need is one QNX device that you can connect to any peripheral such as a monitor or car, and it will instantly provide the processing power, and load up all of your data straight away (mobile computing)

The list goes on. Now I know this may make me sound deluded and I am just blindly defending BlackBerry, but I am not. BlackBerry is going through a transition and there will be some growing pains, and there are no guarantees if it will make it or not. But in my opinion, the idea of what BlackBerry envisions for the future of mobile really excites me and I believe it is better than what we currently have. We have reached critical mass, all we are doing now is simply upgrading phones with faster processors and better screens. BlackBerry is trying to shift the game completely into mobile computing.

I hope they make it, but we will have to wait and see.
    07-19-13 06:24 PM
    I am definitely in your camp on this one.
    BB10QNX likes this.
    07-19-13 06:27 PM
    We have reached critical mass, all we are doing now is simply upgrading phones with faster processors and better screens. BlackBerry is trying to shift the game completely into mobile computing.
    What exactly does that mean and how does that differentiate from Apple/Android?

Apple upped the game of mobile computing with the iPhone and then did it again with the iPad. Android followed suit in both cases. What exactly is Blackberry doing to "shift the game"? All I see is a dead tablet and a phone that does nothing the other phones can't do - while doing a lot less.

I fail to see anything currently available from Blackberry that is leading the way, and don't see it in their future plans either.
    h20work, Saiga, Donvald and 11 others like this.
    07-19-13 06:35 PM
    Apple upped the game of mobile computing with the iPhone and then did it again with the iPad.
    I totally respect what Apple has contributed to the industry, what they've achieved and I acknowledge the strengths of iPhone and iPad with their ecosystem.

BUT. STOP. IT.

You don't really want to name iOS devices together with 'mobile computing' in one sentence, do you?

I just sent a GIF file to a friend via email, which he wanted to save. But that 'SMART'phone he has, has just made a JPEG out of the GIF when saving it to the device. This is just stupid and iOS is stupid, not smart, no mobile computing platform. And as you can't even download anything through the browser either, I assume that there's NO WAY to save a freaking GIF file to an iOS device and obviously no native application that can really handle it (other than the email client which managed to display it properly). "Upped mobile computing" - Ha.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 06:52 PM
    I totally respect what Apple has contributed to the industry, what they've achieved and I acknowledge the strengths of iPhone and iPad with their ecosystem.

BUT. STOP. IT.

You don't really want to name iOS devices together with 'mobile computing' in one sentence, do you?

I just sent a GIF file to a friend via email, which he wanted to save. But that 'SMART'phone he has, has just made a JPEG out of the GIF when saving it to the device. This is just stupid and iOS is stupid, not smart, no mobile computing platform. And as you can't even download anything through the browser either, I assume that there's NO WAY to save a freaking GIF file to an iOS device and obviously no native application that can really handle it (other than the email client which managed to display it properly). "Upped mobile computing" - Ha.

Posted via CB10
    Is that the only downside? Apple is probably trying to get rid of gifs like they did with flash. Hardly a setback.

At least keep this discussion reasonable, BB isn't "upped mobile computing" either.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9320 using Tapatalk
    07-19-13 07:09 PM
    We want a tablet and Laptop to have an ecosystem, what we really need is one QNX device that you can connect to any peripheral such as a monitor or car, and it will instantly provide the processing power, and load up all of your data straight away (mobile computing)
    BB10 is not QNX. iOS is not UNIX. Android is not Linux.

Thorsten can run his mouth all he wants about his lofty visions of "mobile computing". No one believes that he can pull it off, based on Blackberry's record over the last 5 years.

What would your reaction be if I went on a major news network and said that we could achieve world peace if everyone just held hands and sang "we will overcome?"

That's what the tech world's reaction to Thor's hallucinatory interview has been. I'd hold off on the comparisons to Henry Ford and Steve Jobs.
    07-19-13 07:23 PM
    BB is trying to tell you this because they don't have it. This is the same ol we are not in the spec race speech all over again. Anyone who has used BB for many years is used to this type of elixir sales pitch. Its the fan boys that buy into it. I have used BB for over 10 years, but have moved on. I'm not saying the pasture is greener elsewhere as I miss the ease of use, but peoples needs change so BB needs to also. At some point they need to offer actually what people are asking for, these smart phone are supposed to make our life easier, Right? I hope the next models coming out will fit my needs, if so I would give it a shot.
    JeepBB and robitaille93 like this.
    07-19-13 07:30 PM
    Exactly, I am not saying it will happen out of certainty, I am saying I like their vision. Similar to how I like the vision of world peace but I am not so sure it could happen. So out of all the. Companies I like blackberry vision the most is all I an trying to get at.

And i absolutely agree with your guys frustrations when it comes to BlackBerry execution

Posted via CB10
    world saviour likes this.
    07-19-13 07:35 PM
    Flame on, eh Jason? Whatever. Well put. I admire your enthusiasm. It makes plenty of sense but seems many people on here are experts on business and have insider information into BlackBerry's future plans which apparently don't actually exist and the company is dead. Oh boy. Anyway, good write up. It is true, but these days those who have the money speak loudest. So BlackBerry is the quietest of them all.
    07-19-13 07:36 PM
    I do agree with you on your point but the case for BlackBerry is different. Here is a company that is losing customers. It's first order has to be on keeping existing customers. The stats show they are losing customers, so it's only wise they listen to the existing customers. Once they gain the trust of customers and build their customer base, then will they be able to impose like they used to.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 07:37 PM
    I do agree with you on your point but the case for BlackBerry is different. Here is a company that is losing customers. It's first order has to be on keeping existing customers. The stats show they are losing customers, so it's only wise they listen to the existing customers. Once they gain the trust of customers and build their customer base, then will they be able to impose like they used to.

Posted via CB10
    Well, that's only really true if their long-term vision includes being a smartphone maker...it might not.

Posted via CB10
    SuperionMaximus likes this.
    07-19-13 08:04 PM
    RIM got in trouble by telling customers that they didn't really want what they were asking for. E.g. a nice camera, apps, etc.
    07-19-13 08:07 PM
    RIM got in trouble by telling customers that they didn't really want what they were asking for. E.g. a nice camera, apps, etc.
    Yes telling consumers what they want can go both ways, either success or failure

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 08:17 PM
    What exactly does that mean and how does that differentiate from Apple/Android?

Apple upped the game of mobile computing with the iPhone and then did it again with the iPad. Android followed suit in both cases. What exactly is Blackberry doing to "shift the game"? All I see is a dead tablet and a phone that does nothing the other phones can't do - while doing a lot less.

I fail to see anything currently available from Blackberry that is leading the way, and don't see it in their future plans either.
    You might want to open your eyes to what it does and not just what you read, put one beside another model phone and you would find right away what blackberry does that others cant.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 08:18 PM
    Really not trying to be purposefully negative, but for the grand vision to work, the public will have to buy it. Thus far, it isn't happening.
    07-19-13 08:23 PM
    Or an all touch phone
    07-19-13 09:09 PM
    You might want to open your eyes to what it does and not just what you read, put one beside another model phone and you would find right away what blackberry does that others cant.

Posted via CB10
    Examples?
    07-19-13 09:10 PM
    The deck is stacked but I hope they can execute and thrive.
    07-19-13 09:48 PM
    Examples?
    Hdmi port, true multitasking, hub, browser, overall you would know if you actually used one. I know cause I have a personal z10 and a work issued iphone 4s, and the 4s is barely used except for work calls and work texts, everything else is done on my z10 and way faster, exchange email account, share point pages, web links, presentations, everything.

So since I wasted my time typing the same things you have never witnessed firsthand but posted numerous times all over these forums about blackberry not having over the others. You won't realize until you have the full experience. And if you have, than blackberry compared to whatever platform you compared it to is not for you, then delete your account and move on to their forums. Everything you post is negative or going under garbage. Support it or leave. Your insights into how blind I am means nothing. My choice is blackberry and it works fine for me, your opinion will NEVER change that. Have a good night.

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 10:01 PM
    Blackberry is trying to tell us that
    -We want quad core/octacore processors, what we really need is QNX BB10 which runs efficiently and effectively with just a dual core with improved battery life
    no, we want BlackBerry to think forward a bit to when quad core could be a good and useful thing, remember when someone didn't think anymore than 1Gb RAM was needed? ask PlayBook owners how that turned out, this is tech so you cant `future proof` stuff, but if your gonna charge me top dollar, I want top spec stuff.

-We want all the top apps like instagram and netflix, what we really need is a mobile browser with the highest HTML5 score on the market as everything will become web based in the near future and you will need a browser which will run everything
    Ah the future, its `coming soon` I guess. thing is I want to use my device today not next month/year. you have a valid argument but theres nothing to hold me over while I wait, and THAT is what BlackBerry NEED to sort.

-We want a tablet and Laptop to have an ecosystem, what we really need is one QNX device that you can connect to any peripheral such as a monitor or car, and it will instantly provide the processing power, and load up all of your data straight away (mobile computing)
    Wait, if im going to be using the processing power of my phone for my car or `external device`, surely having quad core is actually gonna be kinda handy?
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    07-19-13 10:18 PM
    LOL @ "support it or leave." Wasn't that the catchphrase for an undergarments commercial from years past?
    m1a1mg and anon(832122) like this.
    07-19-13 10:28 PM
    Flame on, eh Jason? Whatever. Well put. I admire your enthusiasm. It makes plenty of sense but seems many people on here are experts on business and have insider information into BlackBerry's future plans which apparently don't actually exist and the company is dead. Oh boy. Anyway, good write up. It is true, but these days those who have the money speak loudest. So BlackBerry is the quietest of them all.
    It would probably be best if Blackberry "gets insider information on its own future plans".

January 30 2013: Thorsten Heins says BlackBerry plans to upgrade 'all existing PlayBooks' to BB10
    June 28 2013: BlackBerry CEO axes planned BB10 for PlayBook tablet
    Its clear Thor doesn't even have insider information on his own company to know what its capable of.
    JeepBB, cwalt2166, Drew808 and 1 others like this.
    07-19-13 10:38 PM
    Henry Ford was pushing a revolutionary device that would change the landscape of transportation for the next century. BB is pushing an OS that can't even fill the needs of the general comsumer. You can't tell people what they want when you are not able to deliver a solution to what they need.

BB hasn't even managed to communicate its new direction to all of its most hardcore users (read: people here) Half of this forum is still screaming some version of "tools, not toys," when BB has obviously changed direction to become a more versatile platform that can meet the demands of the market.
    07-19-13 10:42 PM
    Hdmi port, true multitasking, hub, browser, overall you would know if you actually used one. I know cause I have a personal z10 and a work issued iphone 4s, and the 4s is barely used except for work calls and work texts, everything else is done on my z10 and way faster, exchange email account, share point pages, web links, presentations, everything.

So since I wasted my time typing the same things you have never witnessed firsthand but posted numerous times all over these forums about blackberry not having over the others. You won't realize until you have the full experience. And if you have, than blackberry compared to whatever platform you compared it to is not for you, then delete your account and move on to their forums. Everything you post is negative or going under garbage. Support it or leave. Your insights into how blind I am means nothing. My choice is blackberry and it works fine for me, your opinion will NEVER change that. Have a good night.

Posted via CB10
    Have to agree. The Z10 is the best smartphone for a dollar you can get these days.
    It also has the distinction of being one of the fast discounted Halo phones on the market this year.
    The only tactic left for the Z10 is for the carrier/retailer to pay the consumer to take one home, or maybe throw one in for free if you by Galaxy S4.

These items, "Hdmi port, true multitasking, hub, browser" are a dime a dozen on Android. Moreover, this "ture multitasking" moniker needs to be dropped. It was used with Webos and has yet to be proven that it sells phones.
    Next to the Facebook phone, the Z10 looks like a raving success, but in general it was a face-plant for Blackberry.
    07-19-13 10:48 PM
    no, we want BlackBerry to think forward a bit to when quad core could be a good and useful thing, remember when someone didn't think anymore than 1Gb RAM was needed? ask PlayBook owners how that turned out, this is tech so you cant `future proof` stuff, but if your gonna charge me top dollar, I want top spec stuff.

Ah the future, its `coming soon` I guess. thing is I want to use my device today not next month/year. you have a valid argument but theres nothing to hold me over while I wait, and THAT is what BlackBerry NEED to sort.

Wait, if im going to be using the processing power of my phone for my car or `external device`, surely having quad core is actually gonna be kinda handy?
    I actually agree with you on all points. This isn't a smooth transition I must admit, and I honestly don't know if BlackBerry will make it but I hope they do. I at times would also like more processing power when I do things such as maps so I can deifnelty see the need to go bigger on cpus

Posted via CB10
    07-19-13 11:11 PM
138 123 ...