If that was true, either a) they wouldn't offer it or b) it would cost more.
    I've had a cell phone since I was 18, and never had (or needed) insurance.
    Assuming $10 a month for insurance, that's about $700 I've saved by not having insurance. So even if I dropped my 9650 and it exploded into a million pieces, I would buy a new 9650 off ebay for around $300, and be ahead $400. That's not even figuring for the deductible.
    When you buy insurance, all you're really buying is placebic peace of mind. If that's worth it to you, then you most certainly should buy insurance.
    I have to agree with this. Insurance, like any other business, exists to pay out less than it takes in. Extended warranties are a huge cash cow for businesses. The reason that stores are willing to negotiate the price of the warranty is because there is an enormous profit margin. I have owned electronic devices for way too many years. The only time I take an extended warranty is if the business throws it in for free as part of the price.
    12-19-10 05:23 PM
    I have the Torch right now and I also bought the Best buy extended 3 year warrently for $12.99/month. I believe that since this is a touch screen and a slider device any thing can happen (I.e screen could break off, touch screen may stop working, ect.). I bought it 4 days ago and have about 10 days to make up my mind whether to keep it or not, so is it a good idea to keep it for this type of phone? I know for the 9780 you don't really need it, because I've owned a 9000 proir to my current Torch for about a year and the worst thing that happened was the trackball stopped working and that's not present on the 9780 anymore. So now on my Rogers plan I pay $57/month after tax + the $12.99/month extended warrenty which comes up to $70/month for 3 years. Do you think adding the 3 year best buy warrenty is worth it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-10 12:18 AM
    Luqman - RIM warranties your BlackBerry for the first year. If you think after a year you won't have done enough small damage to your torch so that Best Buy will still honor the warranty (for example, ruining those uber sensitive water stickers) then I recommend getting it.
    Like has been said, warranties are designed to be profitable.
    And seriously, I doubt anything like the screen breaking off or stopping working will happen.

12-31-10 12:31 AM
    @lugman. To add to SCrid at $12.99 per month over 3 years you are looking at $467 for insurance alone. If nothing happens to your phone (and they are banking on you taking care of it) you are out a bunch of money.

I always weigh the TOTAL cost of insurance against replacement cost and since I don't buy phone at full retail insurance is always senseless to me.
    12-31-10 12:38 AM
    @lugman. To add to SCrid at $12.99 per month over 3 years you are looking at $467 for insurance alone. If nothing happens to your phone (and they are banking on you taking care of it) you are out a bunch of money.

I always weigh the TOTAL cost of insurance against replacement cost and since I don't buy phone at full retail insurance is always senseless to me.
    Oh I forgot to mention that I also have the Rogers handset protection plan at no cost. But i'm worried if anything like dropping the phone in water accidently or drop the phone and the screen shatters, they may not replace or repair the phone. I need to know more about this from an experienced person and not a Rogers rep because I feel like they maybe hiding the most important parts of the details.

12-31-10 12:46 AM
    Never trust the rep or sales person. You really should get the terms for the coverage and read it over, that's the only way to truly know.
    Plus, terms change (they're not contracts) and chances are good that in a year (when the RIM coverage is up) you'll be paying for a different insurance policy without knowing it.

12-31-10 12:52 AM
    Never trust the rep or sales person. You really should get the terms for the coverage and read it over, that's the only way to truly know.
    Plus, terms change (they're not contracts) and chances are good that in a year (when the RIM coverage is up) you'll be paying for a different insurance policy without knowing it.

So are you saying that I should cancel the best buy warrenty and stick with the Rogers free handset protection plan? They also told me that if a new version of the Torch comes out (I.e Torch) within the 3 years they'll replace that with my current Torch. Is that true as well or its bs to trick me into keeping the plan?

12-31-10 01:04 AM
    I'm saying I would probably cancel the best buy insurance. What you do is determined by your needs
    Replace your torch with the torch 2 - my gut reaction is that wouldn't be honored, but again, you'd have to read the agreement. More importantly, do you think there'll be a torch 2? The tour 2 is a bold, the curve 2 (85x0 series) is worse than the curve one (83x0 series) imo (although the curve 3 (93x0 series) is an improvement), 9780 isn't being called a bold 2 (there's 4 different bolds :rollseyes: ). Only real "2" was the storm 2. I wouldn't gamble on a torch 2. Plus, as AG pointed out, you could buy a torch 2 with the money you saved by switching to geic... I mean, cancelling the best buy insurance.
    Ultimately, whether or not you should buy it depends on your needs (aka clumsiness/carelessness ) and what the terms of the insurance say. You really should read them, and if you have any q's about them just post here (or pm me if you want).

12-31-10 01:12 AM
    I'm saying I would probably cancel the best buy insurance. What you do is determined by your needs
    Replace your torch with the torch 2 - my gut reaction is that wouldn't be honored, but again, you'd have to read the agreement. More importantly, do you think there'll be a torch 2? The tour 2 is a bold, the curve 2 (85x0 series) is worse than the curve one (83x0 series) imo (although the curve 3 (93x0 series) is an improvement), 9780 isn't being called a bold 2 (there's 4 different bolds :rollseyes: ). Only real "2" was the storm 2. I wouldn't gamble on a torch 2. Plus, as AG pointed out, you could buy a torch 2 with the money you saved by switching to geic... I mean, cancelling the best buy insurance.
    Ultimately, whether or not you should buy it depends on your needs (aka clumsiness/carelessness ) and what the terms of the insurance say. You really should read them, and if you have any q's about them just post here (or pm me if you want).

Btw by Torch 2 I mean a Torch refresh. They said when the 9780 came out, most people who had the 9700 and were on their protection plan have been replaced with a 9780 (coincidentally all reported a "hardware defect"). But I know its not a good idea to be riding on the fact that there maybe a Torch refresh. i'll check out the Rogers handset protection plan pamphlet before my return policy is up all i'll decide. Thanks for the help though

12-31-10 01:37 AM
    I wouldn't get it if I were you. I don't feel like the phone insurance/warranties are worth the purchase....most of the time its just like you've paid for another phone as you stated....
    12-31-10 04:53 AM
    Ok so I checked out the Rogers Protection plan they it says that I'd have to buy a new phone if its unrepairable or they might just give me a random phone. And for the Best Buy protection plan, I they said that the phone and the accessories are covered for any kind of malfunction or hardware issue also scatches on the screen whether its small or big scratches. But screen cracks and water damage aren't covered. And if I accidently drop it in water or crack the screen, I doubt that will happen because I've never had any of those 2 problems to any phones I've ever owned and plus I have a otterbox case on the phone which decreases the chances of a screen crack. And if it does happen I can nagotiate a deal with Rogers for a new phone and I would still be covered under the Best Buy protection plan. It sounds like a good deal to me since phone and accessories are covered but I would like to know what u guys think of it. Thanks.

Last edited by luqman24; 12-31-10 at 03:28 PM.
    12-31-10 03:21 PM
    I've bought 3 extended warranties from Best Buy on major electronic purchases, used once on a laptop and was totally dissatisfied with what they did. A real hassle to get them to fix the problem, and in the end it turned out to be a total waste of money.
    12-31-10 04:52 PM
    I bought the Best Buy insurance on the Bold 9780. I had some minor problems with the software (froze sometimes when trying to change profiles, "R" key wouldn't work as a shortcut for reply, etc...). I took the phone to Best Buy and they were very nice about it and exchanged it for a brand new Torch for no extra charge. It was awesome. They also told me that if anything else happens, to come back for an exchange for any phone I want. The plan was worth it.

01-03-11 05:32 PM
    I bought the Best Buy insurance on the Bold 9780. I had some minor problems with the software (froze sometimes when trying to change profiles, "R" key wouldn't work as a shortcut for reply, etc...). I took the phone to Best Buy and they were very nice about it and exchanged it for a brand new Torch for no extra charge. It was awesome. They also told me that if anything else happens, to come back for an exchange for any phone I want. The plan was worth it.

Yes same here. I decided to stay with because who know what would happen to it in 3 years within my contract length. I had problems clicking the back on some sites and they exchanged it with no questions. Plus they ensured me that if a new version of the Torch came out I would be able to get it as an exchange and also if any of the included accessories (headset, charger, ect.) Had issues or not broken they would replace it for 3 years. By the end of the 3 years I would have paid. 12.99 * 36 = $467.64 which is way better than playing $700 for each device within the 3 years. i'm glad I chose to keep it

Last edited by luqman24; 01-04-11 at 12:47 AM.
    01-04-11 12:44 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD