My dog ate my Motorola H15, so I'm in the market for a new headset. I work in a very noisy environment though and I need one that cancels LOUD background noise. I was very impressed with the H15 once I realized that it needed open space in its proximity to function correctly. I'll likely get the H17 or whatever is newer, but can anyone with experience using more of these offer input or suggestions? Are the alternatives superior?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-10 07:01 PM
    Plantronics Voyager Pro is supposed to be good. There is a line of noise-cancelling Bluetooth headsets marketed at some truckstops under the Motor Trend (made by Plantronics) brand that have really good noise-cancelling and increased volume to boot. The one I tried was awesome, the caller and I were having a convo right next to my 455 hp Cummins while it was idling, and he didn't know I was even outside.

Last edited by BergerKing; 02-17-10 at 07:10 PM.
    02-17-10 07:07 PM
    You know what I need then, I'm a yard hostler. I'm not just sitting on top of an engine, there are plenty of bangs and clanks to go along. I want to know if anyone has tried using the motos, plantronics, and/or jawbones.

02-17-10 07:18 PM
    You know what I need then, I'm a yard hostler. I'm not just sitting on top of an engine, there are plenty of bangs and clanks to go along. I want to know if anyone has tried using the motos, plantronics, and/or jawbones.

You looking at just a, earpiece or a boom-type? There are a number of really good sets for the trucking biz. And when I say next to the engine, I mean I was working right next to it while tring to get a part unstuck. Maybe a foot away.

If you have facial hair, I understand the Jawbone will probably have reduced performance.

The Moto I have is an H555, and I definitely don't recommend it. I'm looking at using my 25% discount on a Voyager Pro.

Good luck on your search!

02-17-10 07:41 PM
    I've been very impressed with my RIM HS-500. I've left test voicemails while in a car wash and while driving on a concrete road at 70 miles per hour and have been very pleased with how much background noise was eliminated.

Having said that, the boom style headsets can't be beat. But if you want to go small and discrete, I'm very happy with my HS-500. It beats my Plantronics 855.

ETA: Well I just found a MAJOR flaw with this headset and am beyond frustrated trying to figure out how to give the feedback to RIM. When turning mute on the headset beeps EVERY FIVE TO EIGHT SECONDS. WTH???? It is beyond distracting. They should have made the tone every minute or LONGER. But every 5 - 8 seconds is absolutely unacceptable. I'm on a conference call and beyond frustrated trying to focus on the call because the friggin beep has me distracted.

ETA (2): O.k., well this is embarrassing but I did talk to RIM and while they confirmed there will be no firmware updates for the HS-500, the very patient and kind man I spoke to pointed out that I could always use the mute on my phone rather than on the BT. I felt like SUCH an ***** (sidenote...REALLY Crackberry? Id1ot is a bad word here????). I would prefer to be able to mute directly from the headset as it's guaranteed always within reach, but certainly using the phone itself to mute isn't a hardship.

I continue to use this and continue to be impressed with its performance. It does SUCH a good job of making my voice come through loud and clear. It doesn't totally eliminate background noise, but it makes my voice come through so well I can be heard easily over the background noise.

I had ordered the new Jabra Extreme! thinking I might like its onboard mute functionality better. I stuck it in my ear and went to press volume up and down and the buttons are so stiff it resulted in me really jamming the headset into my ear (further than it's supposed to).

I'm definitely very, very happy with the HS-500 and actually tempted to go out and buy another one just in case something happens to the one I have. Even the sound of streaming music is nice. (not audiophile mind you...but very enjoyable).
    Last edited by French; 03-19-10 at 12:16 PM.
    03-09-10 04:35 PM
    My dog ate my Motorola H15, so I'm in the market for a new headset. I work in a very noisy environment though and I need one that cancels LOUD background noise. I was very impressed with the H15 once I realized that it needed open space in its proximity to function correctly. I'll likely get the H17 or whatever is newer, but can anyone with experience using more of these offer input or suggestions? Are the alternatives superior?

the jawbone Icon is a good one.
    03-14-10 08:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD