So I have my Verizon "de-gps'ed" Curve. I am happy with Google maps, even without the real gps it serves purposes for maps, address search, and and search functions ( I love the voice search) for restaurants and such.

Do the other apps like nav4all, livesearch, or others work without having a real gps activation or puck, as google maps does? Or is google maps the only "free" app that works like this with my non-gps Verizon curve? 'Cause Google Maps at least still uses my nearest tower to locate me.
    Last edited by hal1; 08-20-08 at 05:12 AM.
    08-19-08 11:24 PM
    I believe LiveSearch will still work wothout gps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-20-08 02:23 AM
    LiveSearch is nice. Without GPS I'd use it. However, you might want to take a look at TellMe, I thought it did mapping, also.
    08-20-08 08:36 AM
    I believe some of the "locator" or "lookup/search" applications can also allow you to set either a zipcode or city and do some searching and/or give basic info.

I'm not sure that any will show your general location based on cell towers.

You could also consider buying a separate bluetooth gps, generally called a gps puck. That would allow you to gain more specific location info and works with most of the gps applications.
    08-20-08 11:59 AM
    LiveSearch is nice. Without GPS I'd use it. However, you might want to take a look at TellMe, I thought it did mapping, also.
    Here's the link:
    Tellme
    08-21-08 06:02 PM
    I'm not sure that any will show your general location based on cell towers.
    Nope, livesearch doesn't seem to do this, unless I am missing something.

I like Google maps because it knows where I am (at least close) and I can speak my search. Maybe I'll check out Tellme
    Last edited by hal1; 08-31-08 at 11:25 PM.
    08-31-08 11:09 PM
    Didn't have much luck with Tellme, either.

Prolly' stick with Google Maps, so far seems the best pseudo GPS with voice search and current positioning (approximately)

Also seems to have quickest response for navigating the map and searching for sites when "voiced" in
    08-31-08 11:34 PM
    Is voice search a verizon only thing? My AT&T 8310 dosne't off that option through googlemaps.
    09-02-08 07:08 PM
    Is voice search a verizon only thing? My AT&T 8310 dosne't off that option through googlemaps.
    Not sure. I launch google maps, then press the voice (left) button to say "burger king", and up they pop. Once again, I am not a VZ Navigator subscriber.
    09-02-08 08:23 PM
    Hmmm, interesting, voice search works on your phone as google says it only works for the curve models-

"Voice search New! and experimental. You can now speak your search on 8100, 8110, 8120 or 8130 BlackBerry phones (US only). Learn more."

they recomend google-411 for other phones.
    09-03-08 12:46 PM
    my suggestion is to do what i did and dump verizon and switch to tmobile or att. It's a disgrace to technology that verizon disables something that you paid for. People need to start voting with their wallets to make verizon be put in their place otherwise they will have no reason to change. I love my gps on my att curve and if my phone drops a call once or twice a month, well worth it not having my device castrated by the big red.
    09-03-08 03:56 PM
    my suggestion is to do what i did and dump verizon and switch to tmobile or att.
    Well, the thing is, no one I know in Chicago, Phoenix (where I live now) or Tucson has as good things to say about their coverage and call stability as I can say about VZ in these (my major travel areas) cities.

I know people with other carriers that are hit and miss in there commute home through mountains in Arizona.

But that's just my experience.
    09-04-08 12:28 AM
    yellowopages and similar site have maps as well. I find it best to not use a single app. but rather use a few as the yall update different regions more regularly.
    09-04-08 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD