My company will allow me to use my phone on there BES. What are my advantages or disadvantages of doing this? I work at a large university that has wifi everywhere. Will my privacy be jeopardized?

Full-time staff and faculty at TTU and TTUS are eligible to use the BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES) with their BlackBerry handheld device. Contact IT Help Central to set up your device to work with the BES. Then, you will receive a six character password from the TTU BES Administrator through email. This password, known as the Wireless Enterprise Activation Password, must be used within 48 hours to activate the device.
    02-19-12 10:05 AM
    Interesting.
    Please accept my apologies, because i'm not a corporate guy and don't know much about BES, though there are plenty here who are amazing and can probably lay out every detail you'd need to know. I, on the other hand, am only responding to suggest that if it were me in your shoes, i'd get with these admins at your university and ask some very specific questions on how your personal data is put into play here. There's also this nifty thing called BlackBerry Balance i've heard about that would certainly protect and in fact keep your personal data out of the equation altogether.

The BYOD thing gets talked about frequently on these boards, I can gather there are advantages and disadvantages to it, but I think it'd be awesome to manage everything with MY own 'Berry. I hope you update us on your final decision. All the best.
    02-19-12 10:19 AM
    If personal privacy is a concern, then I would not. Also, they may wipe your device inadvertantly thinking you violated some school policy which you didnt or if you get fired, they send a wipe command and poof.

But whats the upside? Are they paying for your bes data plan? Can you access school email without their bes?
    02-19-12 10:28 AM
    BlackBerry Balance is supposed to provide separation of personal data from organizational data. If you activate your personal BlackBerry smartphone on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server there are several advantages (push email, integration with Microsoft Outlook PIM, automatic backup of the device, secure remote wiping of organizational data and with BlackBerry Balance only the organizational data gets wiped, etc.). As for any downside, well your SMS and telephone calls will be logged and of course your email traffic will be recorded though the actual contents are never stored on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Web browsing, depending upon IT policy, will be routed through the BES but normally most non-intranet traffic is routed across the BIS channel (wireless carrier) with only the intranet traffic being handled by the BES. As far as I know your BIS email accounts are isolated from scrutiny if BIS email integration is permitted which is the default.
    BitPusher2600 likes this.
    02-19-12 10:37 AM
    BlackBerry Balance is supposed to provide separation of personal data from organizational data. If you activate your personal BlackBerry smartphone on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server there are several advantages (push email, integration with Microsoft Outlook PIM, automatic backup of the device, secure remote wiping of organizational data and with BlackBerry Balance only the organizational data gets wiped, etc.). As for any downside, well your SMS and telephone calls will be logged and of course your email traffic will be recorded though the actual contents are never stored on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Web browsing, depending upon IT policy, will be routed through the BES but normally most non-intranet traffic is routed across the BIS channel (wireless carrier) with only the intranet traffic being handled by the BES. As far as I know your BIS email accounts are isolated from scrutiny if BIS email integration is permitted which is the default.
    I admire guys like you, whom I can learn advanced BB related information from. People who know this stuff so well and share it, just awesome. Thanks.
    Last edited by BitPusher2600; 02-19-12 at 10:49 AM.
    02-19-12 10:43 AM
    A BES plan will also cost you 10-15$ a month extra. if your work offers BESX, which is free download for them and is free for you that would work. it works like the full BES, its a lite version. if privacy is a concern see if you can use OWA or imap address to get your mail. the downside for you is it polls for email every 15min, no calendar, contacts sync. Hope this helps.
    02-19-12 04:09 PM
    I know that the people that have Iphone and android can connect without going through IT department. I have to request a password, and go through BES.

STEP 8: You will receive a message that activation is complete. Your TechMail email, calendar items, and contacts should now wirelessly sync with the device.
    02-19-12 09:57 PM
    If I own the device and paying for it no way I would want bes on my personal device.
    @ my work they supply us with company own bb which is on bes.
    02-19-12 10:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD