I canceled my Verizon service for my Storm 2, so it is an idle device at the moment. I would still be interested in using it as a backup device for accessing email from my corporate BES via WiFi. Is this possible (i.e. to access a BES direction via internet versus via mobile carrier)? Is the only way to get to BES from a phone via the carrier, therefore requiring a BB dataplan (and thus a voiceplan)?
    11-17-10 02:39 PM
    The traffic still needs to be routed through the BES system which would require some form of BIS\BES data plan.
    11-19-10 06:03 PM
    The BB can use Wifi as an alternative to connect to BES but only when you have BES data enabled on your phone through the carrier. It won't do it with only the wifi.
    11-19-10 06:09 PM
    wrong on both accounts we do it where i work straight through wifi. set up the account then do the enterprise activation through a desktop using DM5 not 6. as long as your connected to your companies network through wifi you emails will be pushed to the device no need for carrier involvement
    11-19-10 09:17 PM
    And you're getting full BES functionality that way and not just the Desktop Redirector?
    11-20-10 04:26 AM
    well you get the same functionalty you would setting up through the carirer the only limiter is the fact that its no longer a phone. As long as you are connected to the companys internal network your good. now saying that i guess its possible to set up vpn on the blackberry that way it can dial into your company network when connected by an outside wifi access point
    11-20-10 02:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD