Ok, so here at work we have a BES. We were able to activate the first initial blackerries on the BES just fine, and this was to test to make sure that they could activate without any issues.

Well now I have 2 blackberries to activate, created the users in the BES and made sure the settings were all correct. Also, created the activation password as well.

I put all the information in (and yes, it is all correct and had other people verify as well) for the email and activation password and click activate. It displays "contacting server" and after about 5 minutes comes back with an error saying �The Blackberry Enterprise Server has not responded to your activation request. An error may have occurred.�

For the other users that were successful, sometimes it would take a little while for the server to take the request and then it would go through the activation, or sometimes I had to cancel and put it through again or even reset the activation password but they all went through just fine in the end.

Now it's anyone going forward from here that I can not activate. I don't get it. Does anyone have anything I could try to get it to work?

Thanks!
    06-16-11 10:55 AM
    I've had that happen before a few times. In each case I deleted the device from BES and set them up again as a new user and a new activation.
    06-16-11 02:30 PM
    Hi Techforcity,
    I do not exactly know why this happens, but when this happens the best thing is to remove the user account on the BES, reboot the server on which the BES is on. Wipe the Handheld, ensure that the mobile network is connected and Data part works (also, Register the host routing table) - Hidden Enterprise Activation menu/ Register device on Network/ Host Routing table - (All Models - All OS versions ) and then reactivate the device. Please let me know if this resolves the issue, if this is not resolved, then we will together see what can be done about this.
    06-17-11 12:50 AM
    Another thing to check is verify with the carrier that the accounts are activated for BES. There have been times when we have tried to activate new phones and found out they "forgot" to include BES services.
    06-17-11 07:21 AM
    Hey guys. Thank you for the responses. I have done the following to try and rectify the issue and they did not work.

1. Wipe the devices and start from scratch.
    2. Delete and recreate the user in BES.
    3. Contacted Verizon Wireless and made sure that the phones were set up for BES and they are.
    06-17-11 09:06 AM
    The Activating... status stops responding for 10 minutes, retrying every 10 minutes with a Retrying... status. After 40 minutes, the process times out with this message:
    The server is not responding. Please contact your System Administrator.

Causes for this behavior include the following:

An incorrect password was entered on the device multiple times.
    The user account mailbox is full, or the messaging server is unable to send or receive messages.

Tip: To verify that you are able to send and receive messages, use your desktop email client to send and receive a standard message.

The wrong email address was entered for activation.

Tip: Validate the email address entered on the device during the activation process. If necessary, correct the address and retry the activation process.

Messages are routed to a PST folder (in Microsoft Exchange environments only). As a result, the BlackBerry Enterprise Server is unable to access the activation message.
    The ETP message was deleted or modified by a anti-virus or message blocking software.

Tip: Check the messaging server to verify that it is not set to modify or block DAT files. Also, make sure that the blackberry.com domain is not blacklisted. For help, contact your mail server administrator.

The user account has not been added to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server, or the BlackBerry Enterprise Server administrator account does not have permissions to the user�s mailbox. As a result, ETP messages accumulate in the inbox. See KB-02276 for information on permissions.
    The user�s BlackBerry message filters are configured to not redirect messages from the root Inbox folder, or the ETP message was moved to an Inbox sub-folder by message filters. Remove any filters that move these messages from the Inbox, verify that the filters in the BlackBerry Redirector settings are set to redirect messages from the Inbox, and retry the activation process.
    The device failed to generate an ETP message.
    Tip: Perform a hard reset of the device or install the latest BlackBerry Device Software version on the device using BlackBerry Application Loader. Then, retry the activation process.

The password set by the administrator in BlackBerry Manager or the BlackBerry Enterprise Server Management console was not applied correctly.
    Tip: To verify that the password was applied correctly, close BlackBerry Manager or BlackBerry Enterprise Server Management console and reopen it. Verify the password is still listed under the user's properties. If the password is not present, verify that the SQL permissions are correct, make sure that there are no network connectivity issues to the SQL Server, and check the Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) version. See KB-03259 for instructions on determining the MDAC version.

The BlackBerry Enterprise Server has network issues, messaging application programming interface (MAPI) issues (in Microsoft Exchange environments only) or connectivity errors, or it has an incorrect version of MAPI32.dll. Check the application logs for related errors. Contact your service provider to determine the correct version of MAPI32.dll for your Microsoft Exchange version.
    The device is not in an area with sufficient wireless coverage and is in the Activating� or Retrying� state. Test network connectivity by sending a personal information management (PIN) message.
    The device is not properly provisioned.
    Tip: A PIN message test can verify if the device is activated for standard wireless data; however, the device might not have been activated for enterprise traffic. Contact your wireless provider to verify that it has been activated for enterprise traffic.

The ServerConfigHistory table might have unfinished tasks for the user, preventing activation from continuing. (This occurs only if the user was previously added to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.) Manually run the BlackBerry Configuration Database cleanup agents on the SQL Server to clear these tasks, then activate again.
    01-02-13 04:15 AM
    Hi

I managed to get this working the other day and I'm not really sure where the problem is. However, it seems to be quite unreliable (BES) and I have to stop and restart the services manually to restore functionality.

Here's some tips that might help others....

in \Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Utility there's a tool called IEMStest.exe. Running this you should be able to select the Blackberry profiles you created in the ZCB instructions and see your GAL and test that you can read users mailboxes. I lose this functionality every so often and have to restart the services etc until this works again.

Hope this helps
    01-02-13 04:16 AM
    Hi

I managed to get this working the other day and I'm not really sure where the problem is. However, it seems to be quite unreliable (BES) and I have to stop and restart the services manually to restore functionality.

Here's some tips that might help others....

in \Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\Utility there's a tool called IEMStest.exe. Running this you should be able to select the Blackberry profiles you created in the ZCB instructions and see your GAL and test that you can read users mailboxes. I lose this functionality every so often and have to restart the services etc until this works again.

Hope this helps
    I take it you are using Zimbra rather than Microsoft Exchange. Refer to ZCB and BES Logs - BlackBerry - Zimbra :: Wiki.
    01-02-13 08:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD