I have a question about the logistics of the BES flow.

I�ve read about how BES works and that it�s basically a VPN into an enterprise�s intranet.

My question is, to what extent? For example, I work at a client site all the time. On my laptop, I VPN into my employer�s network. If I visit an external site, say crackberry, then I actually end up routing through the client�s intranet, not my employer�s. If I need to check an HR policy, it would route me internally to my employer�s intranet.

So, understandably with my BES I�d be receiving corporate e-mail and calendar updates through my employer�s network. What if I go to cnn.com on the BB? Does that hit my employer�s network? What if I have personal e-mail through gmail or yahoo? Would that have to flow through my employer�s network and then to the phone, or does it jump from my service provider straight to the phone? Just curious to know how much �big brother� will be able to watch me ;-)

Hopefully I explained my question well. If you need further clarification/explanation, please let me know.

Thanks!
    09-05-08 08:54 AM
    My understanding is that *everything* goes through your employer's BES server and then on to its destination, be it an internal intranet site, or an external web address.
    09-05-08 10:55 AM
    OK, thanks - that's the understanding that I had too. I kind of thought that's how this "laptop" VPN would work as well, however, it doesn't seem so.
    09-05-08 11:23 AM
    Your employer will have the ability to see any and all information that comes through the device. Doesn't mean they will, but they definitely can. I would be careful.
    09-05-08 11:34 AM
    Your employer will have the ability to see any and all information that comes through the device. Doesn't mean they will, but they definitely can. I would be careful.
    Thanks, good to know.
    09-05-08 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD