I own my BB and pay for my service, not my company. My company got a BES and offered to let me get on it so that my email would be more integrated and work better than using the BIS to check my work email. I'm now realizing that now that I'm on the BES, everything on my BB can be tracked from emails, phone calls, IM'ing, web surfing....everything! Makes me want to do a security wipe and go back to just using BIS to check my work email so that my company doesn't know what's going on on my Blackberry. Is there any way around all this company monitoring stuff?
    04-27-10 03:01 PM
    Yes, take yourself off the company BES. They can do it for you.
    04-27-10 03:15 PM
    Can't I just do a security wipe and that will do the same thing?
    04-27-10 03:34 PM
    I might be wrong but I think the BES settings will reassert themselves after you wipe it as the device is tied to the BES server.

You should just be able to talk to IT and get it removed easily though.
    04-27-10 03:36 PM
    No you have to be taken off the BES from your company. The security wipe only deletes the data on your phone like messages, apps, games, sms, etc..
    04-27-10 03:36 PM
    What if I get pissed off and leave my company and I'm off on my own with my Blackberry device and they refuse to help me by removing me from their servers. There has got to be a way for me to do it. It's my phone. I must have some say in if I want to use BIS or BES on the device.
    04-27-10 03:42 PM
    You already had say if you wanted to use BES or not and you said yes.

But if you think you are going to get fired or you are leaving then just ask them to take you off, simple as that.
    04-27-10 03:56 PM
    You should just be able to ask them to take you off. Maybe call your provider and have them switch it to BIS?
    04-27-10 04:13 PM
    Yea, I did have my say but that's not the point of my question. It's a reasonable scenario to which there should be a reasonable explanation. I found this: blackberryforums.com/rim-software/67224-remove-policy.html

Which leads me to believe that the IT policy is somehow really hard to remove and that a simple security wipe won't get rid of it.
    04-27-10 04:20 PM
    MissJennell..I think that's probably one of the options here.
    04-27-10 04:21 PM
    Just curious, why are you so against simply asking the IT guy to remove you from BES?
    04-27-10 07:22 PM
    Can't I just do a security wipe and that will do the same thing?
    Wiping will break the activation to the device. Without doing an Enterprise Activation, it won't come back, with the possible exception of if you connect to your work PC via USB. That could re-establish it. If you switch your service with your ISP back to BIS, it won't activate on a BES.

It's a minor issue to add or remove a BB User from the BES. Especially removing. It's simply "Delete User and remove Info from the Mail system". Tell them you're not connecting that way anymore and can they delete your BES acct.

Now you got me all curious on what shady things you're up to... ;P j/k
    04-27-10 07:38 PM
    Yeah, a security wipe will break the connection, but it is true it won't remove *all* IT policies (they can be a ***** to get rid of, but you really need to do a "full" wipe).

As mentioned, if you hook your device up to your work computer with DM running, it will re-initialize the connection unless your account is removed from the BES server.
    04-27-10 10:09 PM
    So if someone buys a 2nd hand BB how do they find out themselves whether it was once. BES BB or not? Does it leave any kinda indication, even after secure erase? Cause I'd assume the end user won't want some company's IT policies left on their phone, active or not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-28-10 01:08 AM
    So if someone buys a 2nd hand BB how do they find out themselves whether it was once. BES BB or not? Does it leave any kinda indication, even after secure erase? Cause I'd assume the end user won't want some company's IT policies left on their phone, active or not.

IIRC, they say "Enterprise Activation" somewhere on the home screen.
    04-28-10 02:45 PM
    No it doesn't say anything on the home screen. You should be able to see if it has an IT policy under Options -> Security -> General Settings or Information, depending what OS version you are on.

Every BB that gets put on a BES will have an IT Policy by default, but if they didn't make many changes, it may not be an issue. It's usually a strict policy that doesn't allow apps to be installed or something that causes trouble. There are steps on this forum for how to remove the IT Policy or at least replace it with a blank one.
    04-28-10 03:00 PM
    I got a BB plan from my company, with a curve 8520, but I had a 9700 and I rather use it, I see I'm not able to add my personal email adress, but bbm and others do work, can they see my conversations?

Last edited by Starchest; 04-28-10 at 10:10 PM.
    04-28-10 07:08 PM
    Anyone please?

I'm scared
    04-28-10 10:10 PM
    I think the OP is asking an academic question: is there any way for someone to, without the help of IT, switch his own BlackBerry over to BIS when it's on BES? It makes no difference WHY he wants to do it that way (without IT's help) or why he wants to know.

04-28-10 11:37 PM
    I got a BB plan from my company, with a curve 8520, but I had a 9700 and I rather use it, I see I'm not able to add my personal email adress, but bbm and others do work, can they see my conversations?

If it is BES: yes they can.
    04-29-10 07:02 AM
    If it is BES: yes they can.
    Even bbm and SMS?

04-29-10 07:24 AM
    Everything on the phone can be seen on BES.

To the OP, you would have to follow the posts on here that completely remove an IT Policy if you wanted to go back to using just BIS.
    04-29-10 07:40 AM
    And if they gave me a curve but I put the sim on my 9700. Is now my 9700 tied to the IT policies and they can check it?

04-29-10 07:49 AM
    If you just put the SIM in and do nothing else, they will not see. You will also not be able to use your 9700 for anything more than phone calls and text messages. No email or internet.
    04-29-10 12:09 PM
    I guess it's not BES then, cause BBM works, I can't add email adresses though, wierd.

04-29-10 12:15 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD