I have heard conflicting answers to the following question, and I am hoping to gain some clarity here.

I am currently on a BIS plan, the company I work for has just installed BESx, and has offered to add my personal BB (9700) to the BESx server. I have heard that once my personal personal phone is connected to the company's BESx server they will have access to not only my corporate e-mail (which they already have access to) but to my personal e-mail messages, text messages, phone call logs and everything else on the phone.

Is that true?
    06-14-10 02:47 PM
    06-14-10 02:53 PM
    Thanks. Very helpful link.

I guess it comes down to whether having access to all my sub-folders in the inbox is worth giving up some privacy.

(Are there any other benefits to BESx aside from sub-folder access?)
    06-14-10 03:08 PM
    Thanks. Very helpful link.

I guess it comes down to whether having access to all my sub-folders in the inbox is worth giving up some privacy.

(Are there any other benefits to BESx aside from sub-folder access?)
    From the end user side calendar sync is another big one and wireless backup. From a corporate management side there are many more benefits.
    06-14-10 03:24 PM
    From the end user side calendar sync is another big one and wireless backup. From a corporate management side there are many more benefits.
    I'm less concerned with the corporate management benefits. What are "calendar sync and wireless back-up"?

If the company has an Exchange server, isn't my calndar already synced via Outlook and onto the server?
    06-14-10 03:29 PM
    Well by default there is no way to wirelessly sync your calendar with your device. If has to be done by connected to desktop or by 3rd party app such as Google Sync. Your calendar will automatically be synced up with your device.

Wireless back up, well just like youd back up your device with Desktop Manager the BES will back up your device to the server silently in the background.

Also if you are considering it you also might want to talk with the BES admin and find out what kind of IT policy they are going to put you on. And IT policy can be configured to severely restrict what you are able to do with your device.
    06-14-10 03:34 PM
    Will contacts and tasks also be wirelessly synced, or just calendar?

As for the IT policy, I was told it's pretty flexible. I can download apps, use the camera...

I am just freaked about them having access to my call logs, text messages, BBM messages and so on... I don't know if they will ever actually look at that stuff, but I don't want ot have to think twie before doing anythin with my phone, having to ask myself, "What if my boss would see what I was doing right now..."
    06-14-10 03:38 PM
    Oh ya how did I forget about that! Yes contact will also wirelessly be synced.
    06-14-10 03:40 PM
    Thanks. I just read this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=449170

I think I'm going to pass with the BESx, and stick with manula syncing and no sub-folders...

For now, anyway.

For what I am paying for my phone, I don't need to share it (anymore than I am already) with Big Brother.
    06-14-10 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD