I’m not a fanboy by any means. If anything I’m the exact opposite. The minute any new phone comes out I want it. I almost got a flip dumbphone the other day because I wanted to see what it was like to use one again for awhile. I’ve had an iPhone, a Palm Pre, a Droid, a G1, many Windows Mobile phones, and many dumbphones. They all had there good and bad things. I bought the EVO yesterday and here’s the bottom line….

Blackberry FTW

I’ve had the EVO for 2 days now and am frustrated beyond belief. The 4.3 inch screen is AWESOME..browsing the web is great, pictures look great, etc. But it is too big for EVERYDAY use in my humble opinion. And by everyday use I mean kicking back a few beers with the boys, going to the gym (I use my phone as my mp3 player and gym log), going fishing, etc etc. I need a way smaller form factor and something that I’m not deathly afraid to drop in order to consider it as an everyday functioning phone. The EVO is not this. The Blackberry is.
    Apps. There’s an app for this there’s an app for that. Apps do not make my life easier. They make mecrazy. On my Blackberry, I used a few apps that really, truly helped me manage my life . A checkbook app, a gym app, a streaming music app, the calendar, memopad, and my password manager. Those are my most used apps on my Berry. On my EVO (and with my brief 3 month stint with the iPhone) I was constantly searching for an app to manage EVERY SINGLE ASPECT of my life. Calculate my mpg, wake me up at the exact moment I come out of REM sleep, tell me how many cigarettes I haven’t smoked the list goes on and on. My phone is now micromanaging my life. And games too. I have Nintendo on my EVO and it sucks the battery like nobody’s business. If I want to play a game, I’ll whip out my DS or if I need something to do for 10 minutes I’ll play Brickbreaker.

Internet. Blackberry sucks. Deal with it. It will get better when the Webkit browser is released sometime this year. It probably still won’t be as good as Android or Iphone browers. This is the one thing that I wish Blackberry did better. But I usually check the same websites everyday and most of them are news/tech sites. And the RSS reader on the Blackberry (Viigo I think) does a great job of relaying the information I want to read. So I can deal with the fact that my Berry’s browser sucks for now. I wish it was better but it’s a small price to pay.
    Keyboard. I hate texting on anything other than a physical keyboard. On my EVO I put **** and it puts duck. I type yo it puts to. You get the point. Maybe I suck at virtual keyboards. But based on the texts I get from my friends who use them I don’t think I do. I think everyone does. This brings me to my next point which is I primarily use my phone to text , email, and talk with the occasional browsing session. And I use the apps that I mentioned before. That’s all I need. Everything else is just a “wow” factor that eventually wears off. I had a video chat on my EVO. Very cool. I’ll probably never do it again. I had to put the thing on its kickstand for Christ’s sake. I can’t think of a time that having video chat on my phone will ever come in handy. It’s a toy.

Stability. Android freezes and lags (even on the EVO). Blackberry freezes and lags. Android freezing and lagging pisses me off because it’s not supposed to happen with the EVO’s 1GHZ processor and all the improvements they’ve made. It’s been happening to Blackberry since I’ve had one (the 7130, 8130, 8330, 9630, 9530, 8530 have all had freezes/hiccups/lag at some point). But in either case, the freezing/lagging is not that bad on either phones but it’s there so it’s not a dealbreaker that the Blackberry has it anymore. I’ve also had to reboot my EVO 2x now because something (most likely a 3rd party app) ... it up.

Misc. I feel like I have to baby an EVO or an iPhone or any of these other fancy devices. I throw my Blackberry around all the time. It’s a tank (8530 currently). It gets scratched up and I don’t really care. I can bring it out to a bar or when I fish and not worry. That’s what I need in a phone.
    So anyway, I’m going back to my Blackberry tomorrow. These are just the opinions of someone who primarily talks, texts, and uses a few apps to manage his life. The concept of using an Android/iPhone device is cool as ****. But the reality is much much different (at least for me).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-10 12:42 AM
    This was a good read. Thanks for the review. I can see where your coming from with the Evo being too big, I went into the store just to check it out and I don't think I would like having it in my pocket at all.
    06-06-10 01:38 AM
    "Calculate my mpg, wake me up at the exact moment I come out of REM sleep, tell me how many cigarettes I haven�t smoked the list goes on and on."

THIS is what all the "app" hype is about? These are some really stupid apps, lol. I do, however, love the idea of the video call. I'm on video calls many hours a day from my laptop and would love to have the option on a phone (a BlackBerry phone, that is). But I wouldn't give up my BlackBerry just for that. Even Password Keeper is too important a BlackBerry feature to go without. .
    06-06-10 01:58 AM
    great write up
    06-06-10 02:05 AM
    Despite all the apps available for iPhones and Android, the majority of my friends don't utilize the whole app craze downloading. I've been going through my friends iPhones and I only see about 2-4 additional apps that are not preinstalled. Many of the third party app I see them use are messenger type apps that I don't envy at all because my Blackberry have BBM, yahoo msg, and msn and does it better with RIM push technology.

The only thing I envy about droid and iPhone is the web browser but I only have 2 favourite website that I visit like 4 times a week.
    06-06-10 02:43 AM
    Excellent write up very impartial thanks for a good read

06-06-10 03:41 AM
    I thought the EVO was a great device and the screen size is awesome when it comes to viewing web pages and watching video. The html emails even look really nice, but I will have to agree with the OP, the phone is really big. It doesn't feel much like a phone in your hand. It resembles more of a multimedia device than anything. The keyboard on the EVO is really spacious and keeps up with my typing speed unlike my Hero (RIP), but it still isn't as accurate or as good as my BB. I tested the voice to text feature and it was ok. Its no better than the Vlingo app that I have on my BB. I read a number of user reviews that claimed that the voice to text feature was flawless. Its not. It makes mistakes too. Even though I liked the web browser on the EVO; it was lightning fast, it doesn't really matter to me because I only visit mobile sites. They are a lot easier to use. If I really want to do some heavy duty web browsing, I just tether my BB to my laptop and have the full experience on a bigger screen Therefore, my BB has me covered. I also know what you mean about the apps. I have about ten apps downloaded to my BB and they are apps that I use all the time. I have no use for anymore really. So it doesn't matter to me if the Android app catalog has 50,000 + apps in it. If I only want ten of them, what's the point? But I have always believed that when it comes down to it, its about user experience and not the spec sheet or even the wow factor. If you don't enjoy using your phone or if it feels inefficient, all the bells and whistles won't matter; not in the end.

06-06-10 04:36 AM
    You lasted longer than me at 2 days--

I picked my EVO up at close to 6pm and was back on my 9650 by 10pm. Similar to you, i've had pretty much every phone when it is released and will continue to do so, but after so many disappointments i see that a BB of some sort will always be in my lineup.

My major thing was the on-screen keyboard. I don't use phones to talk much-- I text, I BBM, I tweet, I send e-mails, I'm on FB to update my status-- I love how pretty the screens are when I'm doing these things-- but the speed at which I cold do them was just so greatly decreased-- it made it more of a chore than a joy.

The visual voicemail is lovely-- I have googletalk. The Friend something or the other app is nice-- I have socialscope. The internet is SPECTACULAR-- I have a MacBook--

I'm not returning it to the store-- I'm going to put it in my phone drawer with my Hero, Palm Pre, a couple of Treo's, two BB tours, an 8900, a curve 2, a Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2, and the Moment and see if something ever presents itself where I feel led to revisit--

Now back to looking for themes for my 9650 and waiting on the 9800.
    06-06-10 06:45 AM
    very good review. you mentioned very important points. i tell all my iphone friends/touchscreen friends...you will never type as fast as me and i make less mistake..always make a come back with how many apps they have..im like so what?? my 9650 has 8 apps...and i use them everyday...they have 100 and use 5. i was so close of getting evo myself..was going to ditch my 9630 for it. i got the 9650 2 weeks ago to try it out..and loved it. then yesterday i went to sprint store to play with evo...after about 5 minutes i knew it! no way am i gonna email/txt/type fast on this thing. how am i gonna be carrying this phone around..too big.. in any case evo is a great/modern phone...its like a ferrari. but my blackberry----"honda" is reliable...gives me great mpg too lol lol and does what i need it to do most. for that im very happy and satisfied with my 9650. when OS 6.0/webkit comes out...i hope to fall in love with my phone once again :-)
    06-06-10 07:06 AM
    If i may quote the op " every one has its good and bad" i agree, for me blackberry fits my life perfectly. It allows me to have all my devices in one place, organizer, mp3 player, camera, etc. And as he also mentions the size, i have a tour, and hopefully soon a bold 9650, the size is perfect.
    06-06-10 07:24 AM
    good review!.. nice to hear from people who aren't fanboys....
    06-06-10 07:53 AM
    Wow. It is certainly nice to see that people can see the good and bad of both technologies. Very few people are able to do that. Often times you only see fanboys.

It all comes down to what best suits your needs for everyday life, since you are the one using the device.

Glad you figured out which is best for you, and made the right decision and shared all the data with us!
    06-06-10 07:55 AM
    the sprint rep even told me that the 4g coverage is better outside of the store and once you get on the road....SERIOUSLY? how many people will enjoy thier mini TV while driving???

Sprint had to do something to fool the masses into their service. It is a total toy which i feel will fail badly.

Are you happy to see me or is that an Evo in your pocket???
    06-06-10 08:38 AM
    First of all.... nice review/read.

So... it Like having a Ferrari 458 Italia with 570 horsepower and 398 lb-ft of torque but living in Chicago. All that sexiness with power that cant be utilized on daily basis.

As an Android fan (and owner), I've stopped falling head-over-heals for every new Android device thats supposed to be the next "king". On my G1 and Cliq, I have about 10-15 apps of which I really use maybe 6. I've spent hours and hours in the market. Downloading apps......realizing that they either force close too much or they're not what they're cracked up to be...then deleting them.

I know 15 people with Android phones and none of them really take advantage of the app market. I thinks "APPS" have been burned into the mind of the average consumer. With all the iPhone and Droid commercials out there....I can see why.

In regards to "form factor"....you hit it right on the head. before the HD2 came to the stores, my friend (TMO Manager) let me play with one for weekend. He wanted me to tinker with it and give him feedback. Its an awesome web browsing phone and video player. Now carrying around this device and just using it for the things that I normally do (FB, Twitter, text, email, music) it just didn't have that "ease". Always requires both hands to manage it. Didn't like taking this to the gym with me either.

I still like the EVO but not enough to get one.
    06-06-10 09:21 AM
    Thanks man, this review helped me a lot.
    I went and looked at an evo, and I was torn for the sam reasons you talked about. I think I'll stick with my BlackBerry (well, get a new BlackBerry ) and get a tablet rather than an evo.

06-06-10 10:39 AM
    Great write-up. I've experienced the world of android rather well. Rooted phones. Android devices are mostly about the "wow factor" but lack basic functionality and reliability especially when it comes to battery life. That's what brought me back to the world of blackberry.

06-06-10 10:48 AM
    Love the write up, kinda exactly what I've been hearing, and yes you are right, it shouldn't be laggy, but thats what you get when you deal with people who deal with desktops year round

Smartphone OS's are not Desktop OS's, putting a 1 ghz chipset on a SmartPhone system wont make it magically faster.
    06-06-10 11:09 AM
    Love the review. It truly is nice to see someone that actually takes the time to develop a concise evaluation on the matter. It's good that you aren't trying to push or influence anyone. keep it up and thanks for the time spent!
    06-06-10 11:33 AM
    @ the OP

TBH, I'm not really sure why you tried the EVO. It is clear from your statement that you don't really like the features the phone has. That's something you could have been able to see if you watched an early review before you got it.

I'm not really sure I'd call what you wrote a "review" of the EVO, it reads more like an OP-ED piece. Most of the things you consider negatives about the phone are simly things that you dont feel that you need/want/like, but they are not deficiencies of the phone. (ex: YOU don't like virtual keyboards, YOU couldn't manage the apps that are available without feeling like they took too much of your time, YOU feel that the phone is too big and not durable enough) All of those are completely subjective and in no way quantitative. The only thing you mention that may be an actual fault in the phone is that you had lag/freezing issues. And that is unusual in itself from every other review and user experience I have seen, and could be attributed to user error IMO.

I'm not bashing your experience. not every phone is for every person, and you clearly are a blackberry kind of guy. (Or girl) I just thought it important to point out the difference between opinion and objective facts in your post.
    06-06-10 12:35 PM
    "Calculate my mpg, wake me up at the exact moment I come out of REM sleep, tell me how many cigarettes I haven�t smoked the list goes on and on."

THIS is what all the "app" hype is about? These are some really stupid apps, lol. I do, however, love the idea of the video call. I'm on video calls many hours a day from my laptop and would love to have the option on a phone (a BlackBerry phone, that is). But I wouldn't give up my BlackBerry just for that. Even Password Keeper is too important a BlackBerry feature to go without. .
    Funny! I agree. Stupid apps ! ! ! Like a tip calc app. If you cannot do MPG or calc tips you shouldn't be allowed out of a rubber room much less talk on a phone, a smart phone at that.
    06-06-10 01:31 PM
    great review. My brother is going to pick up this phone today so I will have sometime to play with it and see how it is but Ive had my experience with Android and its about the same perception...Blackberry FTMFW!
    06-06-10 01:53 PM
    @ the OP

TBH, I'm not really sure why you tried the EVO. It is clear from your statement that you don't really like the features the phone has. That's something you could have been able to see if you watched an early review before you got it.

I'm not really sure I'd call what you wrote a "review" of the EVO, it reads more like an OP-ED piece. Most of the things you consider negatives about the phone are simly things that you dont feel that you need/want/like, but they are not deficiencies of the phone. (ex: YOU don't like virtual keyboards, YOU couldn't manage the apps that are available without feeling like they took too much of your time, YOU feel that the phone is too big and not durable enough) All of those are completely subjective and in no way quantitative. The only thing you mention that may be an actual fault in the phone is that you had lag/freezing issues. And that is unusual in itself from every other review and user experience I have seen, and could be attributed to user error IMO.

I'm not bashing your experience. not every phone is for every person, and you clearly are a blackberry kind of guy. (Or girl) I just thought it important to point out the difference between opinion and objective facts in your post.
    Completely agree with most of your points (with the exception of user error tbh I know what I'm doing). I never said this was a review of the EVO, it was more or less my thoughts on using it compared to a Blackberry for MY needs (tried to make that clear in the OP).

Android is a great platform just not for me.

06-06-10 01:56 PM
    A friend of mine was given an Evo and refers to it as "the big heavy phone with a huge screen." He doesn't even want to activate it and is still using his N1, which he really likes except for the signal issues.

06-06-10 01:59 PM
    This was a great Read! Im do for an upgrade as we speak and I was going to go get the EVO this wednesday but after reading the reviews from yall.....I might stick wit my 9630 or maybe get the 9650 (Bold) instead. I walk around wit my BB in my hand or in my pocket and it will be pretty hard to walk around wit the EVO in my hand or pocket allday.

I love my BB too much lol. Very had to detach myself from it.
    06-06-10 02:11 PM
    @ the OP

Hi bp3dots. It is one thing to SEE the specs of a device on paper yet another to actually physically play with the device. Also remember that all facts are opinions period no matter what or what "expert" has written down or said. It was a fact one time that the earth was flat.hahahaha. Now we know different. hahahaha.
    06-06-10 02:16 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD