What benifit would i gain from unlocking a phone??? if you unlock a phone does this mean it can be used on any network??? sorry for the ignorance,im kinda new to this..
    12-18-10 05:41 PM
    "Unlocking" a BlackBerry means that you will be able to use that device on a GSM network that is different from the one to which it is branded (with the appropriate SIM card from that carrier).

For example, in the US you would be able to use your Tour on AT&T or TMobile. Or if you traveled internationally, you would be able to use a SIM card from a carrier in the country to which you traveling.
    12-18-10 05:48 PM
    Unlocking a phone gives you the privilige to use the phone on any GSM carrier as long as the frequency is used with the carrier. In regards to Blackberrys most of the phones can be unlocked and then used with any GSM provider but some will not get 3G only EDGE.

For North America: T-Mobile, AT&T, Fido, Rogers, Wind Mobile & Mobilicity

I may have missed some. Also may raise the amount you may get for the phone when selling it.
    12-18-10 05:50 PM
    i have a t-mobile 8320 and i was wondering if it was unlocked could i use it on boost..?
    12-18-10 05:53 PM
    No you won't be able to use it on Boost as they are CDMA and don't use SIM cards
    12-18-10 06:08 PM
    Yeah, the 8320 is a GSM only device. Boost is a CMDA and iDEN network.

They are incompatible.

That information would have been good to include in your original post.
    12-18-10 06:12 PM
    What benifit would i gain from unlocking a phone??? if you unlock a phone does this mean it can be used on any network??? sorry for the ignorance,im kinda new to this..
    SAVE MONEY - Don't let your carrier restrict you when you travel abroad. You will save $100's on roaming fees. Having an unlocked phone gives you the ability to purchase a SIM card from the destination that you are in, making it less expensive from what your carrier charges.

FREEDOM TO CHOOSE ANY CARRIER - Not happy with your current provider? You will have the choice of going with any service provider that supports your phone. In this case, using your current unlocked BlackBerry on a new provider will avoid the hassle to purchase a new handset.

INCREASE RESALE VALUE - The value of your Blackberry will be worth a lot more and be easier to sell because it is not restricted for use with only one wireless provider - anyone will be able to use it, allowing for a wider range of prospective buyers.
    12-18-10 09:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD