There was a thread a while ago where a forum member asked if BB should bring back the BELT to their all touch phones. At the time I was completely against it. But as I think about it more, and as I talk to more people who have never used BB10, I now think it is an idea that has merit (even though I am a BB10 gesture purist). Maybe the BELT is the differentiator BB needs on their touch phones.

I envision the BELT on touch phones to look like it does on the Classic. I would add one twist and would make the pointer button also act as a home button when pushed. It would take the user back to the active frames screen if any apps are open, or to the first page of available apps in the grid. Many folks I have spoken to are confused by the gestures, and feel the learning curve is steep. By offering a secondary solution to this with the home button/pointer button, it would help bridge the gap for iPhone/Android users. By adding the other physical buttons, BB could make their touch phones more appealing to their core enterprise users that actually make a lot of calls on their phone and want dedicated call buttons but also value the all touch format for media consumption.

I think this is something BB should seriously look at as an easy way to add a new (old) twist to the traditional touch phone.
    12-16-14 01:43 PM
    It's only people that have used a BlackBerry and are not very good with change that taught the BELT was a necessary feature of a BlackBerry.

Home Button - Finger Print Reader - Touch Pad.... that would be nice.
    12-16-14 02:35 PM
    Umm no.

Useless feature on an all touch device. Not to mention useless and dated on the Classic. Step out of the old school and join the new era

Posted via CB10
    silversmith75 and CerveloJohn like this.
    12-16-14 02:41 PM
    Interesting. I would like to see a full touch concept that had the form factor of a the Classic but with the tool at the bottom.

Z10
    12-16-14 02:45 PM
    Yea for sure. Ive always felt that the toolbelt should be on every BB device. It was why I first fell in love with BlackBerry.

As for making the pointing device a "home" button: No. Thats what the end call key does. From anywhere in any app (unless on a phone calle) pressing the red end key takes you to active frames. It basically is already a "home" button.

Clicking the trackpad is like tapping the screen, like clicking a mouse. It is absolutely critical. You can't just use the trackkpad to highlight something then be expected to tap on the screen.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 02:49 PM
    IMHO, the answer call, menu and back buttons are unnecessary. Adding the hangup button and trackpad would be nice to have though.

The hang up button comes in handy when your screen turned off or you are off multitasking and then need to hang up the phone.

The trackpad comes in handy in the browser or in a Citrix/RDP environment. In Citrix/RDP, there are certain windows controls like sliding bars that really need a mouse, and not a touchscreen, to use effectively. Plus the precision helps tremendously.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-16-14 03:36 PM
    Clicking a button that's under you finger is quicker and more efficient than swiping a screen. Same idea with the trackpad.

Posted via CB10
    12-16-14 03:40 PM
    NO!

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 07:05 AM
    Anyone who uses BB10 for any length of time and then picks up an Apple device / Android really would not want to return to a home button. I do agree though that a combo phone hang up / close app button would be nice. I prefer the BlackBerry method of closing apps after use than going in separately on other types of devices and closing a large number of open apps. For some reason the camera app is particularly hard to close. I am OK with the Trackpad. Not useless and it could come in handy.

We need a designer to mock up an all touch with a tool belt ( see BB 9860 for inspiration) .
    12-17-14 08:18 AM
    Noooo...!!!!

From my Z30
    12-17-14 08:24 AM
    Umm no.

Useless feature on an all touch device. Not to mention useless and dated on the Classic. Step out of the old school and join the new era

Posted via CB10
    I don't think so. If you're talking about BlackBerry creating another all touch phone to target the consumer market than you're sadly mistaken. If BlackBerry made the next devices for consumer markets, than they are done for. Bringing back what people loved is a smart move to diverse against the competition, especially if you have Kevin oleary vouching for the product. Think back to the clear Pepsi years ago, the market rejected that. But to this day Pepsi is still successful with the original product. It's not that they have bad supporting products, it's just not as favorable as the original or in this case the classic.

Posted via CB10
    12-17-14 12:12 PM
    The tool belt works because they are physical buttons. Making them virtual will make them next to useless. The point is that you can use them without looking. Not the case if they were virtual buttons.
    12-17-14 12:24 PM
    Kevin O'Leary is not the type of endorsement that I would follow. He may have a following in the GTA.
    12-17-14 01:13 PM
    Kevin O'Leary is not my cup of tea, however he is a success at what he does. A lot of his ilk will peek up and follow his lead. Good for BlackBerry to make this happen.

Mary Margaret From my Z-10
    12-17-14 01:21 PM
    No thanks.

Particularly not on an all touch phone.

CB10 @ Q5
    12-17-14 02:36 PM
    That would actually be nice. An updated BlackBerry storm

Posted via CB10 | Q10
    12-17-14 02:53 PM