If the organizers behind the mindless mob had bothered to set-up a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (Enterprise Edition or Express Edition) and activated those BlackBerry smartphones against said BlackBerry Enterprise Server, there would have been no BBM records for Research In (law-abiding) Motion to hand-over to the "security forces." The hard drive on which the BlackBerry Enterprise Server was installed could have been removed afterwards by the organizers and shredded. But nobody ever claimed criminals were smart beyond reproach.
    sounds like a good idea
    11-21-12 06:39 AM
    You mean like to two british(actually one irish) kids that got arested and deported for a couple of joke tweets?
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with the bill in question. Posting publicly on a social network is subject to the laws of your specific country. This bill isn't about free speech (of which you have virtually none in the UK), it isn't even about the "cloud", its about an individuals right to privacy. Do you honestly think RIM will deny an inquiry request to the UK government if they ask for it? RIM's servers are the "cloud", you use them everyday, would you stop because of a bill like this?

I don't like the bill and it will die just like previous bills of its ilk.
    11-21-12 12:10 PM
    Which has absolutely nothing to do with the bill in question. Posting publicly on a social network is subject to the laws of your specific country. This bill isn't about free speech (of which you have virtually none in the UK), it isn't even about the "cloud", its about an individuals right to privacy. Do you honestly think RIM will deny an inquiry request to the UK government if they ask for it? RIM's servers are the "cloud", you use them everyday, would you stop because of a bill like this?

I don't like the bill and it will die just like previous bills of its ilk.
    It does, they want access to Direct Messages and Personal Messages too.

And I have no problem with the authorities getting a warrant if there's enough suspicion, but they want full access, full time with no restrictions.
    11-21-12 12:19 PM
    Foolish to think they're not already reading your emails and pretty much everything you consider 'private' anyway, lol.
    11-21-12 12:19 PM
    Foolish to think they're not already reading your emails and pretty much everything you consider 'private' anyway, lol.
    Lol, true, but at least it can't be used in court if they got it without a warrant.
    11-21-12 12:21 PM
    My sig. Read it.
    kozmo68 and jakie55 like this.
    11-21-12 03:15 PM
    These guys did not use the Internet, but I am glad that the FBI monitored their activities at so-called "peaceful protest" gatherings. 3 men sentenced in Ohio bridge bomb plot - CNN.com
    11-21-12 03:42 PM
    These guys did not use the Internet, but I am glad that the FBI monitored their activities at so-called "peaceful protest" gatherings. 3 men sentenced in Ohio bridge bomb plot - CNN.com
    Have no issue with that when it starts out with
    A self-described anarchist who calls himself "Cyco"
    I think there just may have been reason to see what these people were up to.
    11-21-12 04:18 PM
    monitoring by the feds is a fact of life.
    I use encryption to maintain confidences.

That pretty much sums it up...
    11-21-12 04:29 PM
    Your email probably goes via servers in China and North Korea and gets read there anyway. For this reason emails are not permitted for any classified info whereas a point to point fax over POTS is permitted for low level secure info.

Sent from my BlackBerry� Curve 3G using Tapatalk
    11-21-12 04:32 PM
    I just wonder if the people who don't think this is a big deal, or don't mind googles data-mining, would they like a government agent or company employee looking over their shoulder taking notes of everything they do on the internet.

Even with BB or any device I feel the need to be wary but I know I say things I wouldn't want the whole world/a company/ the government to know. Its hard to constantly be thinking someone might hear every single thing you say, remarks are often made in emotional situations or in situations where one may simply be making conversation. I feel for the most part I don't have strong opinions or beliefs on most subjects (aside from thinking RIM rules!) so I would definitely be concerned with eavesdropping if the time comes I do have strong believes on highly-charged topics, or if in future employment or careers my previous statements/opinions no matter how strongly/weakly held then or now could be used in arugments against me even if they were irrelevant.
    Any messages or surfing I do online at work can already be viewed. If you think differently, then you are deluding yourself. The pursuit of privacy is not a reason for government agencies to start pulling all your communications and correspondences. I don't think some conversation you had with a coworker or something you said in passing would be used to define your present state of mind. Unless you are engaged or are planning to engage in illegal activities, I think most of you are worrying too much.
    11-21-12 04:41 PM
    My sig. Read it.
    The realities of what Franklin faced when he said the words in your signature bear no resemblance to the today's terrorist activities. Talk to me about that signature the next time you're in a bus driving past a building and someone decides to blow himself up along with everyone on that bus.

Today's terrorist warfare is completely different from musket fire or bombardment from a canon on a ship. You can't use axioms from the 18th century to deal with today's terror wars. Everything evolves, and the horrors of today's weapons was unimaginable back then. Weapons and laws need to adapt.

If emails need to be monitored in order to protect the public at large, then they need to be monitored. The alternative of one email missed and a terror plot not caught in time and the resulting mass deaths are an acceptable trade?
    11-21-12 05:20 PM
    I am always fascinated when I read Canadians and Europeans pontificating about eroding rights in the United States. While that is troubling, and something I work against, you really might want to check into the details of your own house before criticizing another. To put it another way, here is a news flash for you. Even if this was to pass in its current form, which it will not, it needs to be reconciled through both houses of congress. Even if it was then signed in its current form, which it will not be, there would still be better and more transparent protections than in most of the home countries of those doing the criticizing. Ever notice how US intelligence agencies often get better counterterrorism data from other governments than they get from sources in the US? Perhaps you might want to ponder just how private your own data is....
    Oh yeah! Your counter intelligence is awesome.. cough... cough...
    11-21-12 05:36 PM
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/01/30/british-tourists-deported-for-tweeting_n_1242073.html
    OMG we had it easier during the Soviet times. What happened to that part of the world to the left of England...
    Thanks for this link... definitely choosing a different holiday destination...
    11-21-12 05:57 PM
    Those tweets were about bombing an airplane or attacking the President or something. IDK it was not meant to be serious but seriously why would you tweet that, even talking about it is in bad taste. Remember they aren't in prison they're just not welcome any more as guests, and rightfully so.
    You are joking, surely.
    11-21-12 06:01 PM
    This may cause people to revert to the postal service and write letters again....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    11-21-12 06:17 PM
    The realities of what Franklin faced when he said the words in your signature bear no resemblance to the today's terrorist activities. Talk to me about that signature the next time you're in a bus driving past a building and someone decides to blow himself up along with everyone on that bus.

Today's terrorist warfare is completely different from musket fire or bombardment from a canon on a ship. You can't use axioms from the 18th century to deal with today's terror wars. Everything evolves, and the horrors of today's weapons was unimaginable back then. Weapons and laws need to adapt.

If emails need to be monitored in order to protect the public at large, then they need to be monitored. The alternative of one email missed and a terror plot not caught in time and the resulting mass deaths are an acceptable trade?
    You don't see the irony of that mentality?

Their stated goal is to destroy western culture. Eroding freedoms are precisely that, the destruction of western ideals.

Congrats on doing their job for them....
    axllebeer and JR A like this.
    11-21-12 06:29 PM
    Nothing new here.. America has been eroding the constitutional rights of their people since they allowed 911 to happen (part of their bigger plan).. Cloud adaption is a 2 prong plan between the government and corporations (who are one and the same).
    Prong 1.. Get everyone saving all their personnel information in the cloud and we'll have access to it anytime we want...
    Prong 2. They will need access to that data through internet and data plans. As data usage increase, so does communication companies profits and when they feel the need, they can cut people off from accessing their information..

Paranoid, maybe but take a closer look at everything is going on. These constitutional changes will continue to happen with little or no push back from the people. Funny thing is when you ask the average American they proclaim their "Constitution" is their rights to freedom, and they'll go to war to save those rights.. But ask those same people if they would give up rights for their Freedom, they'll answer with an emphatic Yes! Leaves you going hmmmm..

Just sayin!
    Dumbest post I've read in a long time. Furthermore, just how many "average Americans" have you actually spoken to about this. Moreover, your statement about America allowing 9/11 to happen and being a part of a bigger plan shows that you are either cognitively impaired or completely detached from reality. Frankly, I don't care if I get permanently banned for this post because, as you are free to post your opinions and feelings, so am I. Finally, you dont' have to agree with America or Americans, you don't have to like us, but don't post nonsense as if they are facts.
    11-21-12 06:52 PM

Maybe I'm reading too much into that statement...for someone who is normally very balanced and well thought out in your posts, that seems like a strange thing to say.

(end that line of thought)

Although the truth of the matter is, with NSA and other agency's filtering and keyword abilities, nothing is too secure these days. Just look at Petraeus...the technique they were using to communicate via the "drafts" folder, I remember reading that concept in a Brad Thor or Vince Flynn novel a few year back.

Here's one concern I would have, if constant monitoring was established. Where does free speech end and the "thought police" (for lack of a better term) begin?

I hesitate to bring this idea up, I'm not trying to start a political discussion, but the last 4 years, anyone who has opposed any policy of the President is quickly dubbed a 'racist'. If your email to your buddy talks about how you can't stand the president, will you now have police showing up on your door to investigate a "hate crime"?

Ok, maybe that's a stretch, maybe it's not. I'm not terribly eloquent behind a keyboard. But where does it end, where is the line drawn? If the government decides that certain beliefs are "harmful" and you and your priest/pastor/rabbi are discussing those beliefs via email, are you now considered dangerous?

Anyway, that's my two cents. Gotta go, the black helicopters are here

Edit to add: At any rate, it's astounding how much free personal info Americans are quick to offer up on social media and the internet in general. If the gubmint does want to monitor people, between facebook/foursquare/twitter etc most Americans will make it pretty easy.
    JR A likes this.
    11-21-12 09:02 PM
    Bill C-30 fills me with rage, the heat of which is like a thousand suns.
    I'm just happy we got an epic # tag out of it.

Thanks #TellVicEverything!

I've got blisters on me fingers!!! from using Tapatalk 2
    11-22-12 12:36 AM
    Dumbest post I've read in a long time. Furthermore, just how many "average Americans" have you actually spoken to about this. Moreover, your statement about America allowing 9/11 to happen and being a part of a bigger plan shows that you are either cognitively impaired or completely detached from reality. Frankly, I don't care if I get permanently banned for this post because, as you are free to post your opinions and feelings, so am I. Finally, you dont' have to agree with America or Americans, you don't have to like us, but don't post nonsense as if they are facts.
    Ok but bare in mind, as information becomes declassified after a certain amount of years, a lot of the yesterday's conspiracy theories are proven to have been true.

What about today's conspiracy theories?
    11-22-12 02:29 AM
    Unless of course, Obama signs yet another executive order. The problem is what happens in US affects the rest of the world.

I always LOL whenever I see mention of Executive Orders associated with a current administration. Those with LEXIS/NEXIS access would do well to research the last 50 years or so of executive orders, and solmenly contemplate their impact. They have nothing to do with partisanship.
    john_v likes this.
    11-22-12 03:00 AM

Q, I don't often disagree with you...but here I do. In my opinion you are 100% wrong.

I will agree with this statement - Everything evolves. But, regardless of evolution, we still need to respect the basic tenets of fairness. If probable cause exists, GET A FVCKING WARRANT. It's not that tough. Have you ever filed an affidavit in support of a warrant?

And to answer your basic question - yes. It is worth it. If the dumba$$es in charge can't figure sh!t out before the "one crucial email" that causes chaos, terrorism, and all the ills of the world....well then we're just looking at yet another 9/11. And our ignorance and ineptitude would have brought it on. Once again.
    Last edited by wu-wei; 11-22-12 at 03:13 AM. Reason: I hate serif font. Fixed.
    JR A likes this.
    11-22-12 03:07 AM
    I feel compelled to attempt (feebly) to bring this back to the OP's point.

As for cloud storage of confidential material, there is a resounding "HE!! NO" from me. I will continue to use alternatives to communicate confidential material. But I'm a tech-savvy attorney with a bit of a rebellious streak (which my clients appreciate and love).

Cloud storage of "innocuous" "stuff"?...sure, why not?
    john_v and JR A like this.
    11-22-12 03:13 AM
    I feel compelled to attempt (feebly) to bring this back to the OP's point.

As for cloud storage of confidential material, there is a resounding "HE!! NO" from me. I will continue to use alternatives to communicate confidential material. But I'm a tech-savvy attorney with a bit of a rebellious streak (which my clients appreciate and love).

Cloud storage of "innocuous" "stuff"?...sure, why not?
    Well maybe my line of business will benefit from this, urgent same day courier service
    11-22-12 03:34 AM
191 ... 23456 ...