i agree but just to be the Devils Advocate;
    why would you mind? if you have nothing to hide why make a stink about it. why would it be such a huge inconvenience if the police knocked on your door asked to look around take 5 min of your day then left? the reason for the police force is to keep us safe from "the bad guys" if your not a "bad guy" why would you have a problem with it.
    Really? We don't live in a police state and I have no desire to. My buisness is my buisness. Nobody elses. If I choose to share then I will but if I don't, it's my choice not to. My parents don't know everything about what I do, my friends don't know every aspect of my life, so why should the government? I don't have anything to "hide" but lots that I choose to keep to myself.
    11-20-12 11:58 AM
    what could be innocent but taken as a threat? if people know that "the man" has the ability to poke around their email/FB/Twitter they will be more apt to not joke around. and im sure they will see the conversation and be able to understand the context of it....well i hope they would be able to LOL
    Let's say you're emailing a friend about this woman you meet who is the bomb! Key word here bomb, the government then jumps to the conclusion that this is a bomb and you're using code words about it. Next thing you know.....

why would you mind? if you have nothing to hide why make a stink about it. why would it be such a huge inconvenience if the police knocked on your door asked to look around take 5 min of your day then left? the reason for the police force is to keep us safe from "the bad guys" if your not a "bad guy" why would you have a problem with it.
    I have a problem with it because they have no credible reason or evidence to come in my home and snoop around for anything. How safe do you feel when the gestapo can come busting into your house any time for no reason?
    11-20-12 11:59 AM
    Yes while true it doesn't effect most people but it is also another way to take away freedoms. What's next? You look funny, come answer some questions simply because you look funny.
    From reading electronic mail to in person profiling? That is a bit of a stretch. I'll post what I tell everyone. If you care about it that much, find out who is also against it, and either change public opinion, or try to vote someone in office who opposes this Bill.

Taking away freedoms....No, I disagree. The freedom you thought you had previously typing and sending out e-mails was never real. If it's for work, then it can be read if needed, and if it's personal, be careful what you send.

Regarding the Bomb thing, that's already in place. Also works with phone conversations as well. I hope they don't monitor the fourms!!! haha
    Last edited by Oniberry; 11-20-12 at 12:03 PM. Reason: e to a 't'
    11-20-12 12:01 PM
    I have a different take on this one. What if the coppers misinterpret your stuff and haul you to jail?

And based on national security, how much is enough? what is the limit or the end of this all?

Why should I sacrifice my freedom of speech?
    kozmo68 likes this.
    11-20-12 12:08 PM
    From reading electronic mail to in person profiling? That is a bit of a stretch. I'll post what I tell everyone. If you care about it that much, find out who is also against it, and either change public opinion, or try to vote someone in office who opposes this Bill.

Taking away freedoms....No, I disagree. The freedom you thought you had previously typing and sending out e-mails was never real. If it's for work, then it can be read if needed, and if it's personal, be careful what you send.

Regarding the Bomb thing, that's already in place. Also works with phone conversations as well. I hope they don't monitor the fourms!!! haha
    I'm already afraid I said it............looks around for men in black. Don't be surprised when they keep taking more and more.
    OniBerry likes this.
    11-20-12 12:10 PM
    You've got a twenty something lacking enough brains not to post that he's coming to America to "destroy America", he deserves to get thrown back to where he came from.

Guaranteed that if I were to go to Ireland and declare that I'm headed to London to take out the Queen I'd suffer pretty much the same fate.

Ditto if I were to book a plane leaving Heathrow and headed to TelAviv and proclaim "Allah is great!!!" as I prepare to board the plane.

Anyone lacking the common sense to know that this world today deals with terrorism in a manner previously unknown, deserves what they get. Any twenty six year old who lacks the brain power to realise that should not breed.

How quickly they forget.....for all the shouts of "We'll NEVER forget!!!!" it's amazing how quickly apathy and amnesia sets in.
    11-20-12 12:34 PM
    Stay off the internet if you want complete privacy.

It sucks but there will always be someone who can read your stuff. Hacking is serious business.
    Ask Paula Broadwell what she thinks about it.
    11-20-12 12:37 PM
    My take is this, if businesses pull back from using paid cloud services, will free cloud services still be sustainable?
    Free cloud services are, for the most part, teasers to get people interested so they will buy paid storage later. I don't see anything in the article to indicate that businesses are about to stop using cloud storage. They do have the option of using their own encryption on files before storing them.

I have no idea whether free cloud services will remain available. If not, I imagine most people will start paying for them. I don't think many people imagine that their files can't be snooped right now.
    11-20-12 12:37 PM
    You've got a twenty something lacking enough brains not to post that he's coming to America to "destroy America", he deserves to get thrown back to where he came from.
    Without other things to provide context I'd just assume it was a dumb kid and not overreact. If the rest of the twitter feed is drunken party tweets and then a "we're going to Vegas to destroy America!" I don't think the proper conclusion to draw is terrorism. When they have stuff like "going to dig up the grave of Marilyn Monroe" next to 'threats' to destroy America I'm not sure the first thing I would do is examine their luggage for shovels and assume they were going to create some kind of zombie Marilyn to take down the USA.

Guaranteed that if I were to go to Ireland and declare that I'm headed to London to take out the Queen I'd suffer pretty much the same fate.
    Again, context. Is the rest of your online profile a bunch of anti-monarchy sentiment, or, to properly compare it to the UK twitter debacle, are you saying you're going to dig up William Shakespeare and get wrecked with the Queen?

Ditto if I were to book a plane leaving Heathrow and headed to TelAviv and proclaim "Allah is great!!!" as I prepare to board the plane.
    God forbid anyone pray prior to flying.

Anyone lacking the common sense to know that this world today deals with terrorism in a manner previously unknown, deserves what they get. Any twenty six year old who lacks the brain power to realise that should not breed.
    If only a little of that common sense was available to the DHS.
    11-20-12 12:52 PM

How quickly they forget.....for all the shouts of "We'll NEVER forget!!!!" it's amazing how quickly apathy and amnesia sets in.
    But if someone was to say God is great, that would be ok right? What you just did was racial profiling.
    11-20-12 01:02 PM
    But if someone was to say God is great, that would be ok right? What you just did was racial profiling.
    Read the context in which I placed it.
    11-20-12 01:20 PM
    Without other things to provide context I'd just assume it was a dumb kid and not overreact. If the rest of the twitter feed is drunken party tweets and then a "we're going to Vegas to destroy America!" I don't think the proper conclusion to draw is terrorism. When they have stuff like "going to dig up the grave of Marilyn Monroe" next to 'threats' to destroy America I'm not sure the first thing I would do is examine their luggage for shovels and assume they were going to create some kind of zombie Marilyn to take down the USA.

Again, context. Is the rest of your online profile a bunch of anti-monarchy sentiment, or, to properly compare it to the UK twitter debacle, are you saying you're going to dig up William Shakespeare and get wrecked with the Queen?

God forbid anyone pray prior to flying.

If only a little of that common sense was available to the DHS.
    Anyone with common sense would refrain from statements that would get interest up.

9/11 happened. Whether right or wrong, communications are monitored these days.

conduct business with that in mnd. I know I'm monitored. I know privacy is not to be assumed.
    shaleem likes this.
    11-20-12 01:26 PM
    The context being a muslim flying into Tel Aviv? Israel's population is 20% Arab and I'm sure a sizable amount are devout enough to perform the Takbir five times per day. Should they be forbidden from exercising their right to worship because they are muslims?
    11-20-12 01:37 PM
    And what of attorney-client privileged material? Should the government (aka prosecution) be permitted unfettered access to communications between an accused and their attorney? Let's not forget the 4th, 5th, and 6th amendments to the Constitution.

Bottom line - I use encryption to maintain confidences.
    kozmo68 and kbz1960 like this.
    11-20-12 01:38 PM
    I get what you're saying but I were Muslim, I would take great offense that statement. Heck, not being Muslim I still find it offensive as it groups millions into one secular vision.
    11-20-12 01:40 PM
    Cloud storage is just a different name for a server.
    11-20-12 01:41 PM
    Well, let's not take this thread too far from the subject. In the light of these news, will you change your cloud use?
    11-20-12 01:48 PM
    And what of attorney-client privileged material? Should the government (aka prosecution) be permitted unfettered access to communications between an accused and their attorney? Let's not forget the 4th, 5th, and 6th amendments to the Constitution.

Bottom line - I use encryption to maintain confidences.
    Good question, what about doctor confidentiality?
    11-20-12 01:49 PM
    Well, let's not take this thread too far from the subject. In the light of these news, will you change your cloud use?
    You're right... sorry about that.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-20-12 01:51 PM
    The context being a muslim flying into Tel Aviv? Israel's population is 20% Arab and I'm sure a sizable amount are devout enough to perform the Takbir five times per day. Should they be forbidden from exercising their right to worship because they are muslims?
    My statement is that, given today's troubles around the world, it is expected that incendiary statements will draw attention.

You don't yell FIRE in a crowded theater. You don't yell BOMB in an airport. You don't say you're coming to destroy America. Simple.
    kbz1960 and shaleem like this.
    11-20-12 01:54 PM
    Those tweets were about bombing an airplane or attacking the President or something. IDK it was not meant to be serious but seriously why would you tweet that, even talking about it is in bad taste. Remember they aren't in prison they're just not welcome any more as guests, and rightfully so.
    They were not about any planes or the President and surely they should've been allowed to continue with their travel plans, not be deported back to uk once the authorities realized their mistake. These people were not long out of nappies when 9/11 happened. They're probably banned for life from US now or forever on some flying list.
    11-20-12 01:56 PM
    I get what you're saying but I were Muslim, I would take great offense that statement. Heck, not being Muslim I still find it offensive as it groups millions into one secular vision.
    It is a fact of today's world.

I have no problem putting music on the cloud and family pictures.
    I do have a problem using my work phone for personal matters because I know I'm monitored. If I send racy messages on my work phone, I've got no right to cry foul if I'm discovered.
    Situational awareness.
    I haven't read the bill in question, so I can't speak to it. But to me, monitoring by the feds is a fact of life.
    11-20-12 02:00 PM
    No.

I use Google Drive for documents, and my documents are academic in nature and unlikely to be of interest to any other living soul. If you doubt that, ask my students. I use dropbox mainly to store photos, which I used to store in an entirely public way on Ovi Share. I don't care who sees them. I use Box to store music. Since I buy my music and don't pirate it, I'm not concerned about that either. If I were dealing with sensitive corporate information, I'd use encryption. If, you you conjecture, business stop using cloud services and free accounts go away, I'll choose the one that looks like the best value. If it gets crazy expensive, only then would I stop using it.
    11-20-12 02:04 PM
    It is a fact of today's world.

I have no problem putting music on the cloud and family pictures.
    I do have a problem using my work phone for personal matters because I know I'm monitored. If I send racy messages on my work phone, I've got no right to cry foul if I'm discovered.
    Situational awareness.
    I haven't read the bill in question, so I can't speak to it. But to me, monitoring by the feds is a fact of life.
    But those racy messages on your personal phone and/or racy photos on a personal cloud storage could one day stop you from reaching a higher position. Or god forbid, if they would ever look for anything incriminating.
    11-20-12 02:12 PM
    I'm not sure where you live Jagwire, but according to my state's Constitution (California) and city's charter, there is NOTHING that says that the local police exists to keep us safe from the bad guys. All literature and verbiage show that local police is in place to protect the state and local municipalities.

Don't let the "...to serve and protect" written on police cruisers fool you. They are at the will of the city/state officials (Mayor, DA, etc.) NOT "the people".

Let's say you're in bed (maybe making love) with your significant other. Police pounds on the door. You get out of bed and open the door. Police ask to search your house. But your wife/husband is in bed/naked. They don't care and barge in because they *can*.

Or how about this scenario.

You have a young daughter (or even a son). Police come a knocking. They want to search your house, but your daughter is in the shower. Police say they don't care they're searching the whole house including the bathroom your daughter is taking a shower in.

Oh, and one of the friendly police officers thinks your daughter might have something to hide so they go through her underwear drawer. She complains, so they then detain her for and perform a "search" on her (if you know what I mean), and yes, she is still in her bath towel...

Think I'm just making up a couple scenarios? I'm speaking from what I've personally witnessed from police officers WITH a warrant, just imagine what would happen if they didn't need one and could do as they pleased when they wanted to...

You're right, if there's nothing to hide then why care? But as said before, privacy is privacy... That's like saying it's okay for the government to open our mail (real mail that is) and read through our letters and bills even before we get it just to make sure everything is "okay". But hey, if you have nothing to hide, why should it matter?

If there is anything that history has taught us about liberty it's this:

Anytime a government (including our own) has been given an opportunity to lessen or invade a small liberty, the flood gates are then opened and greater liberties will be affected down the road; the dominoes will continue to fall on each other.
    11-20-12 02:13 PM
191 1234 ...