Hello :
    I was trying to clean up my memory and I'm Bum because I had to take off Viigo and Guitar hero and about to take of CB because my memory is running low on my BB pearl. I tried the previous instructions given in another thread but my problem is I can't find the vendor.xlm file nor I can't find where are the languages to delete them. I tried uploading my desktop manager again but that didn't work. I have google the earth and still can't find a solution. I have done various Battery pulls but it doesn't free up that much space. I wish there was a different tutorials for dummies like me that don't comprehend all the IT jargon but maybe that's the reason So I'm imploring for help......
    05-09-08 11:48 AM
    No offense, but that guide is easy to follow, granted you actually read it. The location of vendor.xml is given in the instructions. If you downloaded the T-Mobile OS, you don't even need to bother deleting that file. Only need to delete it if you downloaded a different carrier's OS than the brand the phone was made for. Have you already deleted the sample video? You can also get rid of unused language by going through the set up wizard.
    Last edited by sunkast; 05-09-08 at 12:07 PM.
    05-09-08 12:02 PM
    The need to delete that file is if you are attempting to use another carriers theme rather than what the phone is branded for.

For example... I had an 8310 and I wanted to use Tmobile's theme. I would delete the vendor file to unlock the the themes.

If you should have any troubles, email me. (in sig)
    05-09-08 01:27 PM
    ... I wish there was a different tutorials for dummies like me that don't comprehend all the IT jargon but maybe that's the reason So I'm imploring for help......
    We all come from different background and have different information needs.

To a techie, I could give directions in 5 well chosen steps. That is suitable for the WikiFAQ answer, but would quickly loose others.

May I suggest, we work on a collaboration with the intention of producing a CrackBerry FAQ thread?

I can't find the vendor.xlm file ...
    1. Install the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

2. Install the BlackBerry Device OS software.

3. Search for VENDOR.XML

Windows XP: Start / Search ... / VENDOR.XML
    Windows Vista: Start / VENDOR.XML (type in "Start Search")

4. Delete VENDOR.XML

5. Start BlackBerry DeskTop Manager / Applications Loader.

With Applications Loader running, you can do most of your memory management chores.

John Clark's very detailed thread devotes a lot of attention to themes and editing AXL files. That is a distraction.

After you have AL running correctly, you can further refine your custom build by following the COD file editing suggestions.

Who what's to take a shot at that?
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-09-08 at 03:06 PM.
    05-09-08 03:01 PM
    Hello :

... I tried the previous instructions given in another thread but my problem is I can't find the vendor.xlm file nor I can't find where are the languages to delete them. ......
    If the file is not there, I suspect is has not been installed yet.

Start / Control Panel / Programs - Uninstall will let you verify that:

BlackBerry Desktop Manager and BlackBerry Device Software have been installed. If they are in your computer, you are good to go.

If the BlackBerry Device Software is missing, that would explain why you can not find vendor.xml.

If you believe you have downloaded it successfully, it will be in your Downloads folder.

Search for: 8120*.exe

8120M_PBr4.2.2_rel338_PL2.5.0.40_A4.2.2.184_Orange _France.exe is a typical Device OS file name.

Double click on the file to complete the installation. Then you should be able to find VENDOR.XML
    Last edited by Stoner; 05-09-08 at 03:56 PM.
    05-09-08 03:47 PM
    It's a lot harder in Vista with all the security measurements.
    05-09-08 04:35 PM
    If the file is not there, I suspect is has not been installed yet.

Start / Control Panel / Programs - Uninstall will let you verify that:

BlackBerry Desktop Manager and BlackBerry Device Software have been installed. If they are in your computer, you are good to go.

If the BlackBerry Device Software is missing, that would explain why you can not find vendor.xml.

If you believe you have downloaded it successfully, it will be in your Downloads folder.

Search for: 8120*.exe

8120M_PBr4.2.2_rel338_PL2.5.0.40_A4.2.2.184_Orange _France.exe is a typical Device OS file name.

Double click on the file to complete the installation. Then you should be able to find VENDOR.XML
    I appreciate your help. I found the Blackberry Desktop Softwarebou not the device manager so I have to go and search for it.
    05-09-08 05:16 PM
    So I went on the TMO site and see that there is desktop software( which I had on the diskette when I first bought the phone, but I also see that there is Desktop software with Media Manager also.

Sunkast:
    I did read the instructions carefully( a couple of times) but reading the T-mobile website maybe I don't have to go through the process since like you said it might have already taken care of it. I went through the setup wizard and there are no other languages except for English. So In conclusion I guess I just can't download to many programsi f I want to keep the memory at a good level for the BB Pearl.
    05-09-08 05:26 PM
    So I went on the TMO site and see that there is desktop software( which I had on the diskette when I first bought the phone, but I also see that there is Desktop software with Media Manager also.

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites

This will link you into the BlackBerry Desktop and Device Software Download Sites. Follow the carrier link and download your device specific software.

Use the "Save" option, it is much better to do the actual installation after it has been saved. When it has finished, you will get an "Install" option.

Desktop Manager has been upgraded, if you decide to install the v4.3, I would suggest using the "Custom" install. Deselect Roxio Media Manager for the first install. If you don't, it will take a long, long time to start up. I wants to build indexes just when we want to do something usefull.

After you have your device optimized, you can redo the install and let it run for a few days.
    05-09-08 06:59 PM
    thanks all for your help. I downloaded the version from T-mobile and deleted the vendor.xlm file I now have 11mbs free I still think that's not enough but I'll live with it I don't want to give up my CB and my Bookworm app. I guess I try to keep the cookies clear and to a battery pull once in a while to keep in working. I was trying to see what else can I get rid of that will get me at least above 12mb
    05-10-08 09:47 AM
    That is a good start, once you have your software installed, you can fine tune it to suit your needs.

There is still a lot more you can squeeze out.
    05-10-08 02:49 PM
    Yep keep looking and searching there are more things you can remove to free up space.
    05-10-08 02:55 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

This FAQ is nearing completion.
    05-10-08 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD