This morning at 3am, when I saw Get Alarms Pro for $5 I was PSYCHED! When I reread the article and it'd said get Alarms free by spending $5 I was shedding incredulous tears. And oh hey, I can get a shortcut app for $5. Looked promising.

Well, I don't like it. Even the discounted $5 doesn't sit well with me.

Pros
    • Adding quick shortcuts with visual hotkeys was a breeze.
    • Quick access to icons at the top, quick navigation to messaging, calling, your most frequent buds.
    • Very clean and eye-pleasing app. Looks like facebook.
    • Integration with contacts in your phonebook.
    • Small size. 83k
    • Version 1.1 was released almost immediately.

Cons

• Completely flabbergasted why all native BB apps aren't included in a predetermined list (God, of all things) of icons to pick from. Why not make the list as expansive and useful as setting convenience key?
    • Can only set 3rd party apps and a few blackberry tools (Call log, camera, address book, tasks, calendar, memopad, and browser) What if I want setup wifi? Video? Manage Connections for my wifi? No? Why the he11 not?
    • Buggy with messaging and phone list. Clicking a contact opens a menu that has "Close" as the only option. Wtf?
    • Further causing insult to injury by the fact that the app is highly redundant. I can easily email/text a bud by typing his name, right click, compose email. Those steps don't bother me - the process is highly fluid/congruent. And choosing an app from a smaller list of icons than my homescreen...hardly makes any sense to me.
    • Cannot paste. Hope you can memorize that long UR....
    • Lose a convenience key for an inconvenient app. One button access became one button + scroll + click. 3X THE TROUBLEZ!
    • DOESN'T INCLUDE OTHER BB APPS!
    • Return key isn't click. Its trackball only.
    • $5 app was $10 more than I would've liked to pay.
    • Version 1.1 causes an inevitable Java.Lang Null Exception error. The app will not execute. Hilarious. I would've included screenshots if the BBSS would let me run it...

*Edit: Ver1.3 works again. Screens loaded, messaging remains nonfunctional.

Once the kinks are worked out, I think I'd like this app a little more. Heck I better, I paid for it afterall. The aspect of this program that conflicts me the most is the redundancy of it all. Getting a contact to dial or email was NEVER a hassle to me. It was simple and logical - type the name, create the message. And every Zen/Today/Icon themes have all the icons laid out for me, which I don't find any more troublesome than having an app determine another set for me to pick from. Unfortunately, the lack of a reason to use this app cannot be addressed. Kevin, does your guarantee we'll love this come with a moneyback? Wait, do I have to give back Alarms Pro

I give this a hardly impressive 1.5/5
    Last edited by mettleh3d; 06-27-08 at 05:05 PM.
    06-26-08 09:13 PM
    This morning at 3am, when I saw Get Alarms Pro for $5 I was PSYCHED! When I reread the article and it'd said get Alarms free by spending $5 I was shedding incredulous tears. And oh hey, I can get a shortcut app for $5. Looked promising.

Well, I don't like it. Even the discounted $5 doesn't sit well with me.

Pros
    • Adding quick shortcuts with visual hotkeys was a breeze.
    • Quick access to icons at the top, quick navigation to messaging, calling, your most frequent buds.
    • Very clean and eye-pleasing app. Looks like facebook.
    • Integration with contacts in your phonebook.
    • Small size. 83k
    • Version 1.1 was released almost immediately.

Cons

• Completely flabbergasted why all native BB apps aren't included in a predetermined list (God, of all things) of icons to pick from. Why not make the list as expansive and useful as setting convenience key?
    • Can only set 3rd party apps and a few blackberry tools (Call log, camera, address book, tasks, calendar, memopad, and browser) What if I want setup wifi? Video? Manage Connections for my wifi? No? Why the he11 not?
    • Buggy with messaging and phone list. Clicking a contact opens a menu that has "Close" as the only option. Wtf?
    • Further causing insult to injury by the fact that the app is highly redundant. I can easily email/text a bud by typing his name, right click, compose email. Those steps don't bother me - the process is highly fluid/congruent. And choosing an app from a smaller list of icons than my homescreen...hardly makes any sense to me.
    • Lose a convenience key for an inconvenient app. One button access became one button + scroll + click. 3X THE TROUBLEZ!
    • DOESN'T INCLUDE OTHER BB APPS!
    • Return key isn't click. Its trackball only.
    • $5 app was $10 more than I would've liked to pay.
    • Version 1.1 causes an inevitable Java.Lang Null Exception error. The app will not execute. Hilarious. I would've included screenshots if the BBSS would let me run it...

Once the kinks are worked out, I think I'd like this app a little more. Heck I better, I paid for it afterall. The aspect of this program that conflicts me the most is the redundancy of it all. Getting a contact to dial or email was NEVER a hassle to me. It was simple and logical - type the name, create the message. And every Zen/Today/Icon themes have all the icons laid out for me, which I don't find any more troublesome than having an app determine another set for me to pick from. Unfortunately, the lack of a reason to use this app cannot be addressed. Kevin, does your guarantee we'll love this come with a moneyback? Wait, do I have to give back Alarms Pro

I give this a hardly impressive 1.5/5
    That's why they have a trial version. I tried it first and I liked it. The thing I like the most about this app is the web shortcuts. I don't know you, but for me it was SO annoying to go to the browser then look for the bookmarks. Now with this app is so easy to access those shortcuts and I deleted all my bookmarks.
    You should've tried it first and if you didn't like it then you had the option to get another thing from the CB store.
    I like both app the alarms and the shortcuts and haven't had any problems at all with them.
    06-26-08 11:57 PM
    Ya I tried, liked and bought... And addressing kevin in your message? I think he might have less to do with the actual store then some may think... There is a 30 day return I think... Check that out... again try before ya buy is always a good idea... And as for "thanks CB" I agree thanks! This was a super sweet deal!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-08 12:04 AM
    I bought the duo too. I like it too. Needs some tweaking but hopefully it should get there.

06-27-08 12:11 AM
    Hey Mettleh3d,

Sorry you're so frustrated here. Few things to address off the hop:

- reading the blog post: the stuff that's indented and in italics is a "quote". That's standard blog post practice. Which means those are not my words. They come from the actual software description (click to the product page in the store and you'll see the same words written). So quoting it as "my guarantee" is in accurate. That's from the product page description.

- What I wrote under the quote was true. I beta'd the app and LOVE it and have been using it a lot. Total time saver for me. My address book and contacts are so huge, and I always have so many apps installed, Shortcuts really simplifies my BB for me. It's my 911 list of what I use and who I need. Everybody will be have a different point of view on every application, but I for one (and I think if you read through other comments in the forums / blogs that will agree with me) think this is an awesome app.

- As mentioned above, and as I mentioned in the blog post on the homepage, a FREE TRIAL is available so you can "take a test drive before you buy". If you have the above issues with the app, I don't quite get why you purchased it. Always do the free trial if/when available. That's the #1 rule of buying any smartphone software.

- I think some of your cons above you're placing on the developer, when in fact it's limitations of the BBOS/things RIM needs to address that are more to blame. I'm not a developer, but talk to many BB developers on a regular basis, and it's typically limitations that keep things from being the way you may want them to be. Every BB developer I know is smart. They put a lot of thought and energy into planning out how these apps will work/function. As for the issues you had with v1.1. I understand the frustration there, but this seems to be pretty common with BlackBerry Applications these days. No matter how much beta testing is done in advance of launching a product, it seems to be that only once the app is widely available that everything can be addressed and fixed up. Think Microsoft and TellMe. Think vLingo. BIG Companies with Big Budgets and Big Apps are releasing these products that hit the market with a ton of bugs. It's more of a RIM/BBOS problem than a developer problem in my opinion - with so much OS baggage to contend with there are just so many things to worry about. With free apps people accept the bugs more readily, but that's why a company like BBSmart offers free lifetime upgrades on the application - as bugs can happen and they'll continually work to improve the product. You can only test for so long - at some point you need to go live with it and take it from there.

- Refund. ShopCrackBerry.com has a 30-day 100% refund policy. If you head into the store you can read the details, but we always work very hard to satisfy our customers 100%.

- Re: Store Management. For the full run-down of how things work, you can learn all about it at www.smartphonexperts.com. What's mentioned above is largely right. I founded the site, actively manage the Blogs/Forums (keeps me going pretty much 24/7), and the store is run separately from the main site by an immensely dedicated team of professionals. There's lots of interaction all the time of course back and forth, but my personal attention in the role of Community Manager is dedicated on the content portion of the site and keeping everything here running smooth.

- As for the rating, 1.5/5 is pretty low! Just checked the actual Shortcuts Product page and it's sitting at 4 stars currently.

I think that addresses your points from my point of view at least. That's the great thing about CB. We respect all opinions here.

Again, sorry to hear you're not satisfied to this point. And please do contact customer support! Keep Crack'n!
    06-27-08 12:47 AM
    Kevin,
    You always amaze me with your speed and detail when responding here... It's so awesome! It's jaw dropping on the point that u actually respond and more so that it's fast and not just 4 words.
    Ok and thanks for the info about it not being the developers error all the time.

06-27-08 01:10 AM
    Aw boy, I didn't expect Kevin to respond.
    First off, I wanna say that the Alarms/Shortcuts deal was fantastic. You guys didn't have to do it and you did - for a gesture like that I'm totally grateful. Really.

Anyway, much of my dislike of the product was actually personal - I was mentally prepared to replace the convenience key I'd set (Manage Connections: I often use wifi/BT) and have Shortcuts help me instead. Lo and behold, the one and only tool I wanted there wasn't there. Was majorly disappointed.

The concept of the app itself is undoubtedly good, but little gripes like the inability to copy paste URLS/phone digits, lack of expansive options, are now that I understand, RIM restrictions. Bummer. As to features that aren't restricted, what gives?

I still stand behind believing it to be a redundancy, although I completely respect how users choose to use their berries.
    RIM's AIM or JiveTalk
    Media or MiuTunes
    Alarm or Alarms Pro/MyAlarm
    BB Maps or Google Maps

In my defense, I was too psyched to get Alarms Pro so I jumped the purchase. The pain and sacrifice of suffering MyAlarm was overwhelming. Turn on firewall to ensure I wake up in the morning meanwhile running head first into every permission/IT policy notice...or...not wake up and crack peacefully?

In short, love AlarmsPro, wish Shortcuts was as good as I envisioned.

-_- You're ridiculously nice, Kev.
    06-27-08 06:05 AM
    Hi mettleh3d,

Thanks for all your feedback. I just wanted to let you know that we've now released v1.3. The announcement thread is here.

I can definitely understand some of your gripes, however what I would ask is that you "help us, help you" so to speak. Give us your constructive feedback - give me your constructive feedback - and I'll work damn hard to make sure it's acted on.

We're not a big evil company. We're just a couple of guys who like writing BlackBerry software, and as many other people who know me will attest we've been working 'round the clock without sleep since the initial launch to try to get on top of everything, be responsive to feedback, and fix things.

I have no doubt that within a week we'll have all the features and fixes you were after implemented, and more

Glad you like BBSmart Alarms Pro too

Cheers,
    Neil.
    06-27-08 07:03 AM
    All the BBSmart apps I have (Email viewer, Alarms Pro, and Shortcuts) are awesome. Must-have IMO.

Just a tip for those updating to 1.3 -
    Go to options> screen/keyboard> convenience key> set to anything else> save. Then go back in and set it to BBSmart Shortcuts. It will work then.
    06-27-08 07:07 AM
    Great review with some fairly constructive criticism...

I also hopped on the deal, mainly for the FREE BBSmart Alarms Pro. I had any other choice of 5 dollars worth of software to earn my free Alarms Pro, but I decided to give Shortcuts a shot to support the developer

In my opinion, you either love or hate this kind of app! If you are the kind of person who has a knack right off the bat with shortcuts and has your Berry all figured out from the start... then you may not find Shortcuts useful. I am somewhere in-between... sometimes I find it so much easier to do things the 'traditional' way than by using Shortcuts... but I am trying to give it a fair shot and warm up to using it.

Either way, I got Alarms Pro for FREE... so if I end up not liking Shortcuts, no biggie If it comes down to it and I never use Shortcuts, I will have spent 5 bucks on a $15 piece of software.

And to the developers defense... they have worked really damn hard to get constructive feedback from the community about all of their software and they aim to please the end-user. I am sure they will take care of needs if they arise, and all upgrades are free.
    06-27-08 07:39 AM
    T
    Cons
    I won't use quite as animated tone. But yes... I'm with you on this. One of the most needed tools for the BB was added in 4.5... Voice Recorder. Driving and typing is a baaaaaaad thing. But I quite often get some of my best ideas while driving. VR helps me record those for later when I can focus on filling out the rest of the idea. It IS my convince key to turn my BB into a digital voice recorder. You make a good point on a number of other BB applications like managing connections. I'm on and off airplanes all the time. I have to put my BB into airplane mode several times a week. Adding that to the toolbar would be a big help.

I like the idea behind the app. I think it has very good promise. I'm willing to give the developers time to get the rest of the functionality there.

But as many have said... $5 to get Alarm was a great deal. It's not gonna break me. And I certainly got my money's worth already.

I do want to say thanks for putting the deal together. That part is appreciated.

For now, Shortcuts sits unused. Time will tell if it gets put on the convenience key.
    06-27-08 07:54 AM
    I have worked very closely with Neil of BBSmart on ALL of his beta tests since the initial release of BBSmart Email Viewer in June 2007 -- in fact, we were going back and forth at 4 o'clock this morning attempting to nail down the frustrating issue with the null pointer exception. I have never worked with a more responsive software developer in my life -- less than 24 hours to troubleshoot the issues, code a fix, test it, and release it is nothing short of phenomenal (especially given the obscure nature of this particular issue)!!! Just try to get any response from large companies other than "We are aware of the issue..."

There are times that the realities of deadlines prohibit a developer from incorporating all of the features in his initial release -- Neil has always come back quickly with updates to incorporate POSITIVE feedback from his users.

As far as the paste issue, try this shortcut: CAP + click. It is a "universal" RIM keyboard shortcut for paste.
    06-27-08 08:36 AM
    Im catching bits and peices here where 3rd party apps want to blame it on the "limitations of the BB OS" as if they are at fault. One, I dont think BB developes their OS around third party apps. However, 3rd party apps ARE developed for the BB OS. Therefore, take the blame off the "BB OS limitations" when a 3rd party app is working incorrectly. Instead, fix it OR if that cant be done, then just disclose those limitation to the user. Yes, try before you buy, but Im doing a post now on their Alarm program in which I did try before I bought and after I bought, I started having minor problems. Sent a query into support and that was the answer I got- Great.

Thats like saying I developed a superchager that will give fords 4 cylinder engine a 1,000 hp. But after installed its only rated at 300hp. Sorry, its fords limitation on that 4 cylinder. They are to blame even though they never designed it to do that. Hmmmmm, they probaly never designed it to do that for a reason- just maybe??
    06-27-08 10:47 AM
    I just have to say that I'm more & more impressed with CB everyday - what other site can you go to where the founder of the site gives you so much of their time & knowledge. Not only that, but there are posts on this thread and lots of others where the actual developers and resellers come and post with helpful information. And the icing on the cake is that they all read the board and take what we say into consideration. I think that's so amazing!!! Thanks and kudos to Kevin for creating and maintaining such an amazing community!!!
    06-27-08 10:53 AM
    As far as the paste issue, try this shortcut: CAP + click. It is a "universal" RIM keyboard shortcut for paste.
    Excellent Tip!!!!
    06-27-08 10:54 AM
    Im catching bits and peices here where 3rd party apps want to blame it on the "limitations of the BB OS" as if they are at fault. One, I dont think BB developes their OS around third party apps. However, 3rd party apps ARE developed for the BB OS. Therefore, take the blame off the "BB OS limitations" when a 3rd party app is working incorrectly. Instead, fix it OR if that cant be done, then just disclose those limitation to the user. Yes, try before you buy, but Im doing a post now on their Alarm program in which I did try before I bought and after I bought, I started having minor problems. Sent a query into support and that was the answer I got- Great.

Thats like saying I developed a superchager that will give fords 4 cylinder engine a 1,000 hp. But after installed its only rated at 300hp. Sorry, its fords limitation on that 4 cylinder. They are to blame even though they never designed it to do that. Hmmmmm, they probaly never designed it to do that for a reason- just maybe??
    I think that you are blowing things totally out of proportion with your analogy!

We are discussing a $9 and $20 BlackBerry application here (that, BTW, were bundled for $5 during yesterday's promo!), not a several thousand dollar highly-customized auto part -- expectations should be different.

Nowhere has Neil ever promised anything, and then later delivered less, blaming the BlackBerry OS. It is true that the APIs provided to 3rd-party developers are incomplete. As an example, users have requested that the alarm icon on the home screen indicate when BBSmart Alarms Pro alarm(s) are enabled -- this is simply not possible as RIM does not provide the API to do this. Yes, there are sometimes work-arounds that the developers can implement (BTW, Neil is a master at this!), sometimes there is absolutely no way to do it. Is the feature that you are having issues with in Alarms Pro not working as designed, or is was it never intended to work the way that you want it to?
    06-27-08 11:36 AM
    We're not a big evil company. We're just a couple of guys who like writing BlackBerry software, and as many other people who know me will attest we've been working 'round the clock without sleep since the initial launch to try to get on top of everything, be responsive to feedback, and fix things.
    No, I never insinuated there was some conniving ulterior scheme here to strip us of $5, absolutely not! I programmed in HS and college and I have full respect for the level of work and commitment it takes to flesh out a satisfying product - not to mention apps are developers babies.

Just, thank you.

If I could just have one thing - the choice of other BB apps? =] =] =]

Holy Batman!

Oh and...for OS 4.5.0.42 - Shortcuts v1.3 - Messaging still doesn't work
    Last edited by mettleh3d; 06-27-08 at 12:51 PM.
    06-27-08 12:47 PM
    I think that you are blowing things totally out of proportion with your analogy!

We are discussing a $9 and $20 BlackBerry application here (that, BTW, were bundled for $5 during yesterday's promo!), not a several thousand dollar highly-customized auto part -- expectations should be different.

Nowhere has Neil ever promised anything, and then later delivered less, blaming the BlackBerry OS. It is true that the APIs provided to 3rd-party developers are incomplete. As an example, users have requested that the alarm icon on the home screen indicate when BBSmart Alarms Pro alarm(s) are enabled -- this is simply not possible as RIM does not provide the API to do this. Yes, there are sometimes work-arounds that the developers can implement (BTW, Neil is a master at this!), sometimes there is absolutely no way to do it. Is the feature that you are having issues with in Alarms Pro not working as designed, or is was it never intended to work the way that you want it to?

Are you serious?! Do you even own the BBSmart alarm program?? FYI buddy- the icon does in fact turn Yellow when you have an active alarm and blue when no alarms are set.

Second, my expectations were for the program to do what it says. No, Im sorry, I was expecting it to make me a cup of coffee and get my slippers, give me a break. Read my other post if you would like details on what it was doing and I even pasted the response by the developer support.

And my analogy?! Obviously you missed the point- it wasn't the cost- it was putting the blame on a manufacturer of a product intended for one purpose, when an aftermarket product isn't functioning properly(or 3rd party software in this case)- whether it can be fixed or not. Again, BB does not go around, Im sure and ask all the 3rd party developers what does BB need to do so that the developers can create these apps so there are no conflicts, bugs and so on. They are busy concentrating on their OS to work properly as is.

Again, back to my analogy, that 4 cyclinder is created to get good gas mileage, power a vehicle and so forth. They wouldn't design it thinking, boy, we better design this so someone can throw on a supercharger and drag race. Ya know what, I like my analogy because its so apples to oranges, so Im sticking with it ( actually the curve is definetly a v-8)

Nice try though.....
    06-27-08 02:36 PM
    First, just wanna say that I love Kevin's reponse. From someone who purchased an app that did not have a trial version, I totally support trial version when available!!

That said, I did find it super disapponting that you can't even add profiles! (Along with many native apps, like mettlehead said). I thought that would have been a given.

Other than that, the app is awesome, works great for me, the UI is smooth, and def worth 5 bucks (but please add native BB apps!!)

Thanks again CB! Xoxo

06-27-08 03:22 PM
    No doubt, it was worth $5. im sure there will be some future updates and it will only get better.
    06-27-08 03:27 PM
    Are you serious?! Do you even own the BBSmart alarm program?? FYI buddy- the icon does in fact turn Yellow when you have an active alarm and blue when no alarms are set.

Second, my expectations were for the program to do what it says. No, Im sorry, I was expecting it to make me a cup of coffee and get my slippers, give me a break. Read my other post if you would like details on what it was doing and I even pasted the response by the developer support.

And my analogy?! Obviously you missed the point- it wasn't the cost- it was putting the blame on a manufacturer of a product intended for one purpose, when an aftermarket product isn't functioning properly(or 3rd party software in this case)- whether it can be fixed or not. Again, BB does not go around, Im sure and ask all the 3rd party developers what does BB need to do so that the developers can create these apps so there are no conflicts, bugs and so on. They are busy concentrating on their OS to work properly as is.

Again, back to my analogy, that 4 cyclinder is created to get good gas mileage, power a vehicle and so forth. They wouldn't design it thinking, boy, we better design this so someone can throw on a supercharger and drag race. Ya know what, I like my analogy because its so apples to oranges, so Im sticking with it ( actually the curve is definetly a v-8)

Nice try though.....
    I not only own the application, but I participated in the beta test from day one. In fact, I suggested the icon color changing enhancement (as well as many other feature enhancements that since have been implemented) to Neil early within the beta window prior to release.

I am talking about the RIM alarm icon in the status area of the home screen that shows with the RIM Alarm application, not the Alarms Pro application icon. Set an alarm using RIM's standard Alarm application, and you'll see what I mean.

As far as developer support, this is Neil himself -- most of the 3rd-party BlackBerry application developer shops are small (i.e., one to three person) operations. Neil knows better than most what the RIM APIs allow him to do as far as an implementation. There is no getting around the fact that the BlackBerry OS is buggy at best.

I don't want to turn this into negative back and forth rant. Just be assured that the issues that can be addressed are being worked by Neil and his small development team literally around the clock -- the man is passionate about what he does, and he puts out excellent products (which is why individuals such as myself spend a significant amount of personal time beta testing products). Yes, there are glitches, but look at how quickly he addresses them.
    06-27-08 03:53 PM
    Nice review, and you are spot on, with regards to the issues. Especially Java.Lang Null Exception. I'm yet able to send a text/phone call to a shortcut I've added...

And, before anyone asks,I'm using a Curve 8320, with 4.2.2.180 - the basic of basic OS's...
    06-27-08 04:08 PM
    Great thread! I love this app actually. Yes if you know the Blackberry deeply, this may not be useful. But when I am in one app and need to do something asap like text or email someone this works great. I like it rather than going back to the home screen and scrolling for an app. This is a nice little and cheap utility! I am sure it wil only get better!

06-27-08 05:56 PM
    Dang, calculator isn't even an option =/

06-27-08 08:39 PM
    Dang, calculator isn't even an option =/

That would be sweet!
    06-27-08 08:44 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD