BlackBerry should definitely invest in creating and designing something that can compete with Siri. One thing would make it so much better though-each person can name it what he/she wants. You press "listen" and then say a name that you want your phone to respond to. Then when you say that name in the future, it will automatically go into listening mode so you can ask it a question.
    Good or bad idea?
    04-20-12 02:40 PM
    Wouldn't hurt, but I think at this point, the general public would cry "copycats" and discredit BB for it. They need to focus on the basics with BB 10 (with up-to-date software that can compete with today's giants) and really bring something new and innovative to the table. Definitely not another voice recognition app as their selling forte.
    04-20-12 02:48 PM
    If RIM puts any time in something like that, I question their future.
    A lot of people with i4S's don't like it nor use it, the one's who do should look up speech technology and realize that Siri isn't something new and isn't even that remarkable, because I hate it when these re****s brag about it. Makes me want to accidentally push their phone off the table and laugh as their screen cracks.

No but really, it isn't even necessary, RIM should just focus on the stuff that matters; improve web browsing, promote app dev,... Maybe even improving the camera would be beneficial because everyone is so into taking pictures everywhere now.
    Last edited by KevinTrisno; 04-20-12 at 03:48 PM.
    recompile and christenmartin like this.
    04-20-12 02:51 PM
    That QNX Porsche is using some Watson voice system (from AT&T apparently). So we could see something like that on BB10 devices.
    04-20-12 02:51 PM
    If RIM puts any time in something like that, I question their future.
    Half of the people with i4S's don't like it nor use it, the other half should look up speech technology and realize that Siri isn't something new and isn't even that remarkable, because I hate it when these re****s brag about it. Makes me want to accidentally push their phone off the table and laugh as their screen cracks.

No but really, it isn't even necessary, RIM should just focus on the stuff that matters; improve web browsing, promote app dev,... Maybe even improving the camera would be beneficial because everyone is so into taking pictures everywhere now.
    I wish I had Siri on my phone too
    Yaceka likes this.
    04-20-12 02:59 PM
    Half of the people with i4S's don't like it nor use it,
    Why do people throw out random statistics?

You know for a fact that a whole 50% of 4S users don't like SiRi?

Or is this just more "I hate it because I don't have it" speak...?
    04-20-12 03:08 PM
    amazing idea but people love to think others copy apple when truly they copied others first

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using CrackBerry forums application
    04-20-12 03:11 PM
    And now this thread will be taking a turn for the worst. It seems like when a feature of another platform is brought to attention it always ends up turning into a versus thread. This is why I am hesitant to even read threads anymore and giving up hope on these forums for a talk about everything BB(not a versus thread). This forum is nowhere near what it was three years ago when I joined and it seems like everyone is now cut throat about everything. Just because I don't have a BB at the moment doesn't mean I can;t help people which is something I did/use to enjoy here.
    Morty2264 and homer1475 like this.
    04-20-12 03:15 PM
    Half of the people with i4S's don't like it nor use it
    Here are some actual stats to consider while you stimulate yourself thinking of destroying someone else's property.

Apple Siri Statistics: Interesting Points

1. 87% of those who own Apple�s iPhone 4S use at least one feature of its Siri virtual assistant monthly.
    2. Roughly a third of 4S owners use Siri to place phone calls, send text messages, or look up information daily or almost daily.
    3. Many other Siri services are getting little pickup, however. They include playing music and scheduling meetings. Thirty-two and 35% of 4S users, respectively, said they had never used Siri to perform those actions.
    4. Email usage is pretty split, with 30% saying they have never used Siri to send an email while 26% say they use it to send email daily or almost daily.
    5. Some 55% of 4S users said they were satisfied with Siri, 9% were unsatisfied, and the rest were somewhere in between.

Statistics Source: WSJ

Apple Siri Statistics: Interesting Points | StatSpotting!
    04-20-12 03:17 PM
    I'd rather see a phone that worked like in the concept videos ( ) vs having Dragon Naturally speak on my phone...
    04-20-12 03:30 PM
    And now this thread will be taking a turn for the worst. It seems like when a feature of another platform is brought to attention it always ends up turning into a versus thread. This is why I am hesitant to even read threads anymore and giving up hope on these forums for a talk about everything BB(not a versus thread). This forum is nowhere near what it was three years ago when I joined and it seems like everyone is now cut throat about everything. Just because I don't have a BB at the moment doesn't mean I can;t help people which is something I did/use to enjoy here.
    I can certainly understand how you feel - I often don't want to read on because some posts/threads can get quite offensive. It's similar to when I'm on YouTube and people lash out at me for making innocent "mistakes" (i.e. got a plot event or character wrong on a show). People are quick to defend things they possess and love - associating the brand with themselves - and I think this is one of the reasons why we have these "versus" threads. But I love seeing people who don't have a BlackBerry participating in the threads - it's awesome! Rock your Droid 2!
    hondateg91 likes this.
    04-20-12 03:39 PM
    Here are some actual stats to consider while you stimulate yourself thinking of destroying someone else's property.

Apple Siri Statistics: Interesting Points

1. 87% of those who own Apple’s iPhone 4S use at least one feature of its Siri virtual assistant monthly.
    2. Roughly a third of 4S owners use Siri to place phone calls, send text messages, or look up information daily or almost daily.
    3. Many other Siri services are getting little pickup, however. They include playing music and scheduling meetings. Thirty-two and 35% of 4S users, respectively, said they had never used Siri to perform those actions.
    4. Email usage is pretty split, with 30% saying they have never used Siri to send an email while 26% say they use it to send email daily or almost daily.
    5. Some 55% of 4S users said they were satisfied with Siri, 9% were unsatisfied, and the rest were somewhere in between.

Statistics Source: WSJ

Apple Siri Statistics: Interesting Points | StatSpotting!
    I'm sorry my biased post doesn't live up to your fancy statistics. Let me edit it a little for you.
    I do believe one of the reasons they even make these statistics is because they're questioning the usage of Siri themselves...
    Anyway, my girlfriend has a 4S, she doesn't use Siri. I had a 4S up until a week ago, used it 2 times to test it out (which probably means I'm one out of the 87% who uses it monthly right ?).
    I dislike Siri because of how Apple promoted it and especially since this technology's been around for so long, but people look at it like it's the best thing since sliced bread
    Joltcola1234 likes this.
    04-20-12 03:46 PM

I know exactly 6 people with an iPhone 4s, out of those 6 none use Siri.

I think when people say "half of the users don't like it or use it" its more of a generalized statement that "many" people don't like it. I think most of the time when people use general statistics they shouldn't really be taken literally, and the people throwing out those statistics don't intend people to take them literally.
    04-20-12 03:53 PM

1.) I know exactly 6 people with an iPhone 4s, out of those 6 none use Siri.

2.) I think when people say "half of the users don't like it or use it" its more of a generalized statement that "many" people don't like it. I think most of the time when people use general statistics they shouldn't really be taken literally, and the people throwing out those statistics don't intend people to take them literally.
    1.) Okay. You know 6 iPhone users who don't use it. I'm trying to understand what you're were trying to prove here. Or is this another generalized thought.

2.) "half of the users don't like it or use it" and "many people don't like it" are not the same thing. So which one is it?
    04-20-12 04:05 PM
    1.) Okay. You know 6 iPhone users who don't use it. I'm trying to understand what you're were trying to prove here. Or is this another generalized thought.

2.) "half of the users don't like it or use it" and "many people don't like it" are not the same thing. So which one is it?
    1) Exactly, gold star! It is a generalized thought. It means exactly what it says, I know 6 people who have iphones that don't like or use siri, so I also get the generalized idea that many people probably don't use it.

2) "Half" and "many" aren't the same.

I think those stats you posted that you find interesting showed that "many" people aren't interested in Siri.
    04-20-12 04:09 PM
    Using Siri to make phonecalls is not "using Siri" thats voice dial.
    therapyreject174 likes this.
    04-20-12 04:10 PM
    I would like to see it as an option but not advertised to much or I'm afraid of the copy cat issue.

There are two interesting point:
    1) Apple copied someone else with siri. That may be true but apple advertised threw dollars behind advertising it. I just recently saw an actress in a commerical for it, um...the one with big eyes and sings. Sort of cute, smoker's voice.

2) Its all about options. I don't care if no one uses siri or apps or email or whaever. I want options. I want the option to use siri, option to play silly games, option to use banking apps.

Now I may chose not to, but I'd like the option.

Anyways, not to digress, I like a watson in bb10, just not as a selling point.
    04-20-12 04:11 PM

1.) I'm sorry my biased post doesn't live up to your fancy statistics. Let me edit it a little for you.

2.) I do believe one of the reasons they even make these statistics is because they're questioning the usage of Siri themselves...

3.) I dislike Siri because of how Apple promoted it and especially since this technology's been around for so long, but people look at it like it's the best thing since sliced bread
    1.) Uh huh. Not my 'fancy' anything. Just pointing out some factual errors in your statement.

Voice rec tech is indeed not new. But I do give them credit for the way they took an existing tech and applied it to their product.

2) They keep stats on everything. The U.S. has a bureau that keeps stats on pretty much everything.

3.) That's fair.
    04-20-12 04:17 PM
    How lazy are people that they have to use Siri?
    04-20-12 11:03 PM
    Dang boys,
    When I started this thread I wanted a discussion not an argument. Vent your anger somewhere else!
    04-21-12 07:32 AM
    Yeah, apple sure is stupid, and so is everyone that ones an iphone.

You need to sell 20 shares of RIMM to buy an ip4s, but you can by 6 Bolds with one share of apple.

The fact is Apple's marketing blows RIM away, they have triple the market share and growing in North America and I know several people who use Siri daily.

It's a big world, with a lot of varied interest groups.

These forums are turning into a political type forum with each group trying to yell louder. Now we are making up and twisting stats to support our argument.

Let's just get Rachel Maddow and Sean Hannity on here and get it over with.
    04-21-12 07:49 AM
    I think 40% of the people are saying its a gimmicky technology while 38% seem not to care one way or the other.
    Om your other point, ya I think it be cool to say to my phone, "hey bonehead, what was the score in last nights game."
    04-21-12 08:07 AM
    Getting back on topic, the op suggested that BB needs an app like Siri.

There are two.

First there's Vlingo and the paid version. Not quite as full featured as Siri, but very good. There are reports it wasn't working for some on OS 7.1. I can't be sure, since I removed it during one of the OS upgrades that was better at sucking the life out of my battery than enhancing my BB experience. Which was when I also started looking at which apps used a lot of battery. Vlingo was one of them, so it quickly got uninstalled.

There is a second one that seemed to get beta tested right here in the Crackberry forums. At the time that it got attention, it seemed more alpha than beta and Vlingo Pro/Plus was one of the free apps from RIM, at the time. I never tried it, so I don't recall the name.

There are reasons not to use any of them. I've mentioned battery drain. But there are several others. At least for me. I've never felt I was so important that other people's space needed to be be invaded by my announcing things in their presence. And I seriously doubt anyone working in a security or confidentiality related job would use it. Can you picture, "Siri, show me the propulsion system schematics for stealth drone A-24."? Or "Siri, which schizophrenia medicine do you recommend for patient 123874?"?
    louzer likes this.
    04-21-12 08:46 AM
    Personally i have an app called SayIt on my 9550. i dont use it much because where i live there isnt much use for almost anything a BB can do. But ive used it a bit and find it fairly reliable. the voice to text and text to voice is a fun feature
    04-21-12 09:00 AM

Saying "half of people..." is more of a figure of speech than a statistical statement. People really like to freak out at each other these days. Not every iPhone owner is an enthusiast who uses every function to it's fullest. Some don't care/have the means to try. If someone happens to be surrounded by those people then they can get that impression and post their OPINION on this forum.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    04-21-12 11:16 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD