Hello,

I am not a BB user, but I'm asking a question for friends of mine who are thinking of buying one. I use Palm products so hence my ignorance here.

My friends are part of a conservative Mennonite group and are restricted in their usage of technology, but mostly surrounding the internet. Email is allowed but it gets more restrictive after that.

Can you have a BB on a carrier with limited internet access, or do you have to purchase a full data plan? Mostly they'd like to have no web browsing but still have email, texting, etc.

In the Palm world, it's wide open, but since BB email passes through unique servers I didn't know if it can be structured differently.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

jp

(PS - I love your new Torch hardware - you guys are lucky to have a great portrait slider)
    10-27-10 08:20 AM
    The BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) data plan provides Email, Messenger and Internet access. There are no provisions for disabling the Internet connection, other then making settings changes on the device.

Any change in setting can be restored, that may not be an acceptable solution.

There is another option. BlackBerry Enterprise Service (BES) can be used with free support software to make changes that the user can not change back.
    10-27-10 10:51 AM
    Thank you - much appreciated.
    10-27-10 11:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD