View Poll Results: Is Peek Actually Useful?

Voters
257. You may not vote on this poll
  • Peek improves my productivity/efficiency/workflow

187 72.76%
  • Peek adds an unnecessary step to my productivity/efficiency/workflow

70 27.24%
07-24-13 12:42 AM
165 ... 567
tools
    Peek not needed in its current state. Just give us better notifications.

Posted via CB10
    I disagree. If it went missing, i'd panic. the old way of separate icons for each email was simply confusing.
    07-10-13 07:55 AM
    I disagree. If it went missing, i'd panic. the old way of separate icons for each email was simply confusing.
    Then just take the same icons from Peek and add them to the same notification tray that displays time, battery life, signal strength, etc.

Best of both worlds.
    07-11-13 05:33 PM
    You are right my friend. Less is more when trying to be productive

Posted via CB10
    MiSsY_ likes this.
    07-11-13 09:01 PM
    If you are driving you shouldn't be messing with BlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 06:18 AM
    Peek is nice but it totally kills its usefulness when you swipe to the left and all you see is previously opened email/msg instead of the recently HUB "home" or recently received notifications.
    07-13-13 08:07 AM
    Peek is nice but it totally kills its usefulness when you swipe to the left and all you see is previously opened email/msg instead of the recently HUB "home" or recently received notifications.
    Like it was said a thousand times before: when you're done with a msg/chat just swipe over to the main HUB before you leave. That's all.

Posted via CB10
    07-13-13 08:09 AM
    I like peek, really there are just two things I would change about it. One would be to add a bar for the currently playing track (or other media) so you can see that when you peek (instead of having that huge popup when you change the volume). And the other would be to make it so that when you peek from an app and go all the way into the hub, sliding left brings you right back to the app, whereas doing the sliding up gesture takes you back to the homescreen. That way you can use peek to easily view your messages from an app and return to it by doing the opposite gesture, and you still have the consistency of a swipe up always taking you back to the homescreen. As it is now there are two ways to get to the homescreen from the hub (swipe left and swipe up) so giving one of those ways another use would be cool.
    I really like this idea!

Posted via CB10
    .giggz. likes this.
    07-23-13 04:05 PM
    If you use settings a lot then leave it as a live tile. Do you have all 8 slots filled all the time? I normally have 4-6 open

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    07-23-13 06:08 PM
    When you swipe up and to the right, while in app ; you can see immediately weather or not there is something you want to see or not. Just don't lift your finger off the screen, and you swipe back left and return to the open app.
    BBRY Are You Listening? - Is Peek Actually Useful?-img_00002122.png
    The pic capture was done while the Crackberry app was in use, replying to this post without leaving the app

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 06:39 PM
    I love the Hub. I've always been a fan of unified inboxes and Hub does it best by far than any other phone in my experience.

But, Peek is pointless.

It adds an extra step in the notification process. I have to swipe up and hold just to see the amount of notifications I have and then swipe over to the right to view just the subject header info.

On legacy BBOS and Android phones, there is the notification tray/bar at the top of the screen. I can ascertain the same amount of notification from just *looking* at the phone than I do when I have to swipe up and hold. At least with Android, I can customize how I want the notification to be displayed, such as via widgets on the home screen, and not require any user input to see said notifications.

So my point is: Why do I need to add an extra step to get the same information I always got by just looking at the damn screen? It's really a waste of time (and has become an annoyance after spending some time using the Z10) especially when your phone screen is not on:

*I hear my notification sound and see the blinking LED*

1. I swipe up first just to wake up the phone (or press the power button).
    2. Then I have to swipe again to get past the lock screen.
    3. Then I have to swipe up and hold just to find out which notifications I got.

WHY?! Why did they have to get rid of the damn notification bar/tray? At least give us the option... Most times I just go right into the Hub if I can and don't even bother Peeking anymore.

And, if I'm in a game and it's full screen, why can't I just swipe up and *peek* right into my Hub? I'll still be able to see what kind of notification I got, and at the same time see who sent it and the subject title.

Why not have Peek just display the notification bar at the top of the phone, the bar that shows the time, battery life, signal strength, etc., and have notifications in there as well. That way, when you peek you can go directly into the Hub and still cover all the bases we're talking about.

I feel it's just one of those things done by a company so they can say, "Hey look we're different..." and it makes a nice marketing tagline, "...peek and flow into your hub of messages..."

I think the only utility Peek has is if you really like swiping gestures for the sake of fun. I admit, if you're bored, swiping through your BB10 device can help pass the time. But is that what it's really about? I thought these BB10 features were to make us more efficient. Peek doesn't make things more efficient.

So, what say ye? Is it really useful? Or does it just take up unnecessary time?

EDIT: I want to make sure people who are voting remember that the question is: "Does Peek make you more productive" and not "Do you like Peek?"
    Having a big problem with your use of the peek and hub features. Dunno if you are fully explaining, or don't realize you are doing more than you need to.

You have : swipe up to wake , swipe to get passed unlock, swipe and hold to see notification. Let's rewind : before locking the screen and setting your phone on the table and wait to get a text or such ; swipe right to the hub and leave the screen like that. Either let it go to sleep, or push power .
    Now, you see an led light flashing, you swipe up, never removing your finger. You now see the start of the message just sent to you. Let's say you don't feel like reading it and decide to put the phone down and asleep. Remember how I said don't lift your finger off the screen? Now swipe back down and off the bezel and the phone will instantly go to sleep. I don't even need to pick the phone up off of the table to open, view and re lock the phone in approximately 1 to 2 seconds. If you just want to see the type of new message sent.... same thing. swipe up about a third of the screen , finger still contacting,then back down and off the bezel to put the phone back to sleep. Still don't need to pick the phone off the table . Same thing applies for time and date check.

To address the in game situation : swipe up and to the right. Don't remove your finger. After seeing what you wanted to see, swipe right to return to the game. So simple and easy. Same for any open app. Don't just swipe up and let go or your game or app goes into the active tile.
    BBRY Are You Listening? - Is Peek Actually Useful?-img_00002124.png

You are making your life more complex than you need to. The Beauty of 10 is the multiple ways of doing things.

Hope it helps.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 07:22 PM
    Made a right left swipe typo.
    In game, swipe up and right, keeping finger on screen, look at the hub,then swipe back left to resume the game

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 07:28 PM
    You can make it easier if you leave the hub in the split screen
    BBRY Are You Listening? - Is Peek Actually Useful?-img_00002124.png

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 07:43 PM
    Check out a large reply I have in here
    May be some help.

Posted via CB10
    07-23-13 08:24 PM
    You can make it easier if you leave the hub in the split screen
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00002124.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	185471

Posted via CB10
    That's exactly what I do. It just works.

Sent from here.
    07-23-13 10:32 PM
    I should also add that you could technically leave the phone within the hub the entire time and you wouldn't have to do anything to see what came in (that's what my wife does).

Posted via CB10
    Yep. No rule that says you have to lock the screen while on active frames view.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    07-24-13 12:42 AM
165 ... 567