Maybe I'm not correct but I thought that if BBRY gets sold to a company, it doesn't just disappear off the face of the earth. Wouldn't another company look to improve BlackBerry rather than buy it and just kill it? Everyone is saying RIP BB, I guess I won't get a huge touch screen qwerty device! And things like that. But I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the companies looking to buy BBRY have plans for it - rather than just murder it as soon as they Buy it.

OR am I wrong? Is it pretty much inevitable that whatever company buys blackberry will get rid of the BlackBerry name? I am looking for actual answers here... these questions are not rhetorical. I actually want to know what will most likely happen if BBRY gets sold!

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    TheQuietRioter likes this.
    09-05-13 08:03 PM
    I don't have answers, but wanted to thank you for posting this!!

I have the same questions and concerns, because I want the Z30 like yesterday.

What ever happens with the sale solely determines my next phone purchase.
    If things go smooth-Z30. If things are unfavorable -WinPhone.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 08:06 PM
    no one knows but what happens will differ with each company
    09-05-13 08:07 PM
    Just like BlackBerry to leave us hangin'. LOL God Bless'em.

Posted via CB10
    09-05-13 08:16 PM
    Maybe I'm not correct but I thought that if BBRY gets sold to a company, it doesn't just disappear off the face of the earth. Wouldn't another company look to improve BlackBerry rather than buy it and just kill it? Everyone is saying RIP BB, I guess I won't get a huge touch screen qwerty device! And things like that. But I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the companies looking to buy BBRY have plans for it - rather than just murder it as soon as they Buy it.

OR am I wrong? Is it pretty much inevitable that whatever company buys blackberry will get rid of the BlackBerry name? I am looking for actual answers here... these questions are not rhetorical. I actually want to know what will most likely happen if BBRY gets sold!

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    There is a very good chance that the current market valuation for BBRY is less than the sum of its parts. If that is indeed the case, a buyer might just take the company apart and sell it off in parts to realize a profit. For example, sell the patent portfolio, sell BBM division, sell QNX division, sell hardware division, sell network division, sell software division, etc., etc. It won't be pretty, and if it does go down this road, odds are that BlackBerry as a brand will be very different than what it is now.

The big question is how likely this scenario is. Basically, it all comes down to the viability of the whole to continue to make money. As it stands, that seems unlikely as sales of new products have been disappointing and BBRY has been losing money for the past few quarters with no signs of that changing.. There seem to be some people who think BBRY will be taken private and continue to operate as it has in the past, but as a private company. That begs the question, who's going to risk BILLIONS of dollars on a company that's in a virtual death spiral? I would say...... nobody.
    09-05-13 08:27 PM
    I'm kind of with you OP. There are a lot governments tied in with BlackBerry, and as a whole they are certainly not lacking in enterprise business either. I rather think that if this sale everyone is talking about would go down, they may openly become a lot less customer oriented and instead focus on government and enterprise. The NOC will have to live for BBM to exist, I believe that much for sure. It is either my ridiculously strong loyalty or desperation in disguise but I don't want to believe that they're going to disappear off the globe.

It is a valid notion though that someone could scoop up BlackBerry to rape their patent portfolio as i'm sure there are plenty of tech corps that would love to have what they have.
    09-05-13 08:37 PM
    I frankly don't see a reason why BB couldn't focus on the government/enterprise segment and produce "very high tech smart phones with an emphasis on security." Focusing on security as their core competency (especially in Secure Software Development) would lead them into the high-end, high-quality, and highly-secure market which is begging for a victor. With QNX/BB10 they have produced a great OS and if they focus on secure software development as their motto, (let's say if they required their software developers to become CSSLP certified) Blackberry still has a great future. At least until the competitors follow suit and produce even more "High secure" portfolios.
    09-05-13 08:59 PM
    I frankly don't see a reason why BB couldn't focus on the government/enterprise segment and produce "very high tech smart phones with an emphasis on security." Focusing on security as their core competency (especially in Secure Software Development) would lead them into the high-end, high-quality, and highly-secure market which is begging for a victor. With QNX/BB10 they have produced a great OS and if they focus on secure software development as their motto, (let's say if they required their software developers to become CSSLP certified) Blackberry still has a great future. At least until the competitors follow suit and produce even more "High secure" portfolios.
    2 reasons.

1. BYOD
    2. Gov and Ent actually comprise a small part of the BBRY's 70 million users, currently most users are in emerging markets and use BlackBerries for BBM. Why would a company cater to a small segment of its customer base instead of the much larger one?
    09-05-13 09:03 PM
    Funny, this feels a bit like the nokia/ms fiasco a few years back. At least back then, us symbian owners knew what was coming(wp replacing symbian, pretty much killing our beloved OS). But you guys have it worse, you have no idea what the future holds...then again that can also bring hope. Unlike with nokia, we knew symbian was dead. Getting another symbian device meant getting stuck with a good os but no app and developer support(just, bug fixes). The platform would no longer evolve. You on the other hand don't know if bb10 will carry on after the sale, but there is still hope it will.

Sent from my LT28i using Tapatalk 2
    09-05-13 09:11 PM
    A much more larger base of the population may also be interested "secure mobile computing", so on top of catering to the government/enterprise markets, this strategic move would bring in more users concerned about security.

As for the consumer market, keeping up with the tech is one area, and keeping up with mobile app development is another. How they will be dealing with mobile app development I only see in either one of two ways 1) create in house mobile app development for Blackberry World 2) continue giving incentives to programmers in all facets of industry to create "made for blackberry" mobile apps through incentive programs like free smartphones.

If BB wants to move into the consumer segment, they have to find some strength that neither Google/Microsoft/or Apple have thought of.

BYOD has its serious implications in the Information Security area - more of an incentive for corporations to stick with a more secure platform.
    09-05-13 09:19 PM