It's been near 2 years now that some have been telling the media that wp7 was the next great thing, that it's power and backing by MS was the final straw for BlackBerry. In the mean Time BBOS has smoked wp7 in the sales department.
    So what happens next the media and MS backers now are saying that its wp8 that will be the final straw for RIM. All the wile never mentioning the advancements in BBOS heading to BB10. If you ask me BB10 along with BB fusion and balance add up to, wp has no chance becoming the dominant 3rd player, considering BlackBerry entrenched lead in enterprise.
    Yet of course even though they have far from proven anything close to taking on BB, the media say it's a done deal?
    No bias here.
    03-17-12 02:01 AM
    So true. People love to bash BB but I guess its cause if they bash Windows mobile/W7/W8 theres no one there to listen. I wonder what windows smartphone marketshare has been through the years. I know my first smartphone was the samsung blackjack which had windows mobile on it. I think BB is much better positioned that windows is.
    03-17-12 02:15 AM
    Simply Google wp7, the articles are piling up about the OS failing. Looks like the MS, market share is around 1.5 % world wide.
    03-17-12 02:43 AM
    BBOS imo still has more functionality over WinMo7.5 Mango, but its catching up slowly with Tango, then Apollo. User interface wise, WinMo's Metro UI looks brilliant. Kudos to Microsoft for doing a good job on it. I still remember my old HP ipaq rw6282 running WinMo that i used to own. Starting from a fresh sheet of paper was a good plan. But when BB10 arrives with all the TAT goodness, maybe that'll change my opinion. Who knows. But i agree with OP, i dont see Microsoft being the 3rd dominant player in the smartphone industry yet. It doesn't seem to be picking up enough traction to overtake RIM, despite the impressive marketing by Nokia. But then again, who knows what will happen in the next 6 months.
    Last edited by Alex_Hong; 03-17-12 at 03:51 AM.
    03-17-12 03:47 AM
    I have to agree. Although Microsoft has an amazing start with their OS, I can't see them overtaking RIM anytime soon. Personally I just don't it, because many had a bad experience with Windows Mobile and I guess microsoft does have bad credit for some. BlackBerry seems to be a well known name and known for several things like email and practicality. This is all just my opinion though.

If someone offered me a WP7/8 or a new BlackBerry, I'd always take the BlackBerry.
    03-17-12 06:32 AM
    I have to agree. Although Microsoft has an amazing start with their OS, I can't see them overtaking RIM anytime soon. Personally I just don't it, because many had a bad experience with Windows Mobile and I guess microsoft does have bad credit for some. BlackBerry seems to be a well known name and known for several things like email and practicality. This is all just my opinion though.

If someone offered me a WP7/8 or a new BlackBerry, I'd always take the BlackBerry.
    So how many on here talk about bad experiences with RIM? Does that mean RIM has the same hill to climb? If MS can't erase a bad image how is RIM going to?

I hope they can and I MS can also. Competition is good.
    03-17-12 06:53 AM
    I actually enjoyed my Windows 6 and 6.5 devices I had before getting my first BB. But now...with those squares, I don't think I'll be touching a Windows device any time soon. I don't like that look.
    I don't know if Mango is using those squares.
    I'd have a hard time giving up my Skyrocket or iPhone 4S for a Windows phone. And there ain't no way in H3LL I'm giving up for BB.
    Searzy likes this.
    03-17-12 07:01 AM
    I think once Windows 8 hits, it will drive sales of tablets and phones. The interface will be near unified and familiar to those using Windows. I am liking Windows 8 a lot and it is nice on a tablet.

It is no BB killer but MS is doing good stuff.
    03-17-12 07:40 AM
    The TATalizing demos we're seeing from RIM at the various conferences are exciting.

IMO this is the make or break scenario. We have to get this coolness, not a tamer end product.
    03-17-12 09:33 AM
    I just don't see why so many people around this site seem to think the only thing worth doing is to attack the competition. WP7 is a good platform that has been around for all of a year and a few months. HTC claims good sales of units and the major partner (Nokia) has only been selling the phones for a few months (and is only just rolling out to the US). People around here really need to grow up and stop acting like they are a fight to the death with everyone who owns a different device. Go to a WP7, IOS, Android site, and you will find almost no mention of RIM products. Why is it that on this site, every third post is about another company? People should check the inferiority and God complexes at the door and perhaps discuss RIM devices....
    BoldtotheMax likes this.
    03-17-12 01:24 PM
    There really has not been much of a marketing campaign for Windows Phone in the US yet. The devices are being released and marketed in Europe and Asia. Most US carriers do not sell many models. For instance, I checked VZW's site. VZW only sells one Windows Phone made by HTC. However, more models will be released soon, and then the marketing blitz will start.

Samsung did a similar thing with the Galaxy, which became a great seller in the US after being introduced overseas first.
    Last edited by lak611; 03-17-12 at 01:41 PM.
    03-17-12 01:30 PM
    I just don't see why so many people around this site seem to think the only thing worth doing is to attack the competition. WP7 is a good platform that has been around for all of a year and a few months. HTC claims good sales of units and the major partner (Nokia) has only been selling the phones for a few months (and is only just rolling out to the US). People around here really need to grow up and stop acting like they are a fight to the death with everyone who owns a different device. Go to a WP7, IOS, Android site, and you will find almost no mention of RIM products. Why is it that on this site, every third post is about another company? People should check the inferiority and God complexes at the door and perhaps discuss RIM devices....
    Not sure I read any bashing? When there is perhaps it is because those other site don't have bb owners coming in and bashing their choice? Plus how many threads are started by the others comparing or trashing bb?
    03-17-12 01:30 PM
    So how many on here talk about bad experiences with RIM? Does that mean RIM has the same hill to climb? If MS can't erase a bad image how is RIM going to?

I understand what you mean, and although RIM's stock has been going down and their downfall is everywhere in the media, I still know very many people that still see BlackBerries as amazing phones, not saying that they aren't in reality, but many see the name "BlackBerry" as a pretty high end phone line just like Apple. Whether they have good experiences with the phones beats me, but with the OS 7 line, there are good, reliable and speedy phones.
    03-17-12 05:02 PM
    I understand what you mean, and although RIM's stock has been going down and their downfall is everywhere in the media, I still know very many people that still see BlackBerries as amazing phones, not saying that they aren't in reality, but many see the name "BlackBerry" as a pretty high end phone line just like Apple. Whether they have good experiences with the phones beats me, but with the OS 7 line, there are good, reliable and speedy phones.
    I agree. But a lot only go by what they hear.
    03-17-12 05:42 PM
    thats why i love this site!
    black.rhino likes this.
    03-17-12 08:41 PM
    Whos bashing? Good luck to WP. The truth is its not panning out as MS and supporters wished. Yet they get a pass in the American media
    1.6% of the WW smart phone maket gets kinder reponces in the media than RIMs 16%.
    The media still likes to talk about how much better wp will get in the future, so much so they like to point out how poor RIM doesn't stand a chance.
    I call BS and am just highlighting the double if not triple standard RIM has to bare in the American media. I wonder why? But I guess I know.
    Last edited by Dapper37; 03-18-12 at 10:54 AM.
    03-17-12 10:29 PM
    Well said. I am too selfish a consumer to want any brand to fail.

WP7 has an uphill battle... if anything, it shows you can't just throw money and create mindshare.

It is still a battle of ecosystems though. I think whichever platform wins that battle may get the edge with consumers. In that specific area, money just may talk, what with all the app ransoms.
    03-17-12 10:40 PM
    At this point a Windows phone running WP 7.5 would be my 2nd choice after BlackBerry. I'm waiting to see how the "one window" concept behind Windows 8 will work out (where desktop, laptop, tablet, smartphone all have the same user interface) I think the concept is lame (they ARE different devices), but maybe it can work. BBOS 10 looks like a giant step in the right direction, can't wait to see the new devices.
    03-17-12 11:28 PM
    Looks to me like MS is trying the same thing that RIM is doing with their qnx based OS, or is it the other way around? The concept isn't lame for RIM, but is for MS? That doesn't make sense. Anyways, streamlining the user experience doesn't hurt their bottom line. Consumers like consistency.

I am starting to see an awful lot of commercials for the Lumia 800 (Telus), more of them than the ones for BlackBerry. It's all good though, there's room enough for a few top brands and some supporting roles, and competition does breed innovation (or ruin, depending)
    03-17-12 11:59 PM
    Looks to me like MS is trying the same thing that RIM is doing with their qnx based OS, or is it the other way around? The concept isn't lame for RIM, but is for MS? That doesn't make sense.
    I'm hoping RIM makes optimum use of screen size, navigation, input methods that are available for each device with BBOS 10. I would like the full qwerty "Nevada", but feel a gesture bezel would be a waste of screen real estate for this device, as it can use keyboard shortcuts and basic touch screen input for quick navigation. Yet, a gesture bezel works well for a tablet. My desktop right now has 47 different icons on the main screen, that would be lame on my BlackBerry.
    03-18-12 05:40 AM
    I've used BBs for 3 years before switching to a Mango WP7.

WP7 wipes the floor with BBOS in every department that I use. The only thing that BB does better is physical keyboard (My WP7 phone does not have one...).

Anyone who thinks that Java BBOS is better/faster/more feature rich than WP7 Mango is either delusional or has an agenda.
    03-18-12 07:43 AM
    I've used BBs for 3 years before switching to a Mango WP7.

WP7 wipes the floor with BBOS in every department that I use. The only thing that BB does better is physical keyboard (My WP7 phone does not have one...).

Anyone who thinks that Java BBOS is better/faster/more feature rich than WP7 Mango is either delusional or has an agenda.
    The keyboard makes it faster, anybody that hasn't bothered to learn the shortcuts is seriously missing out.

Example, how do you get WP7 to show you a list of absolutelly all outgoing messages, emails, calls, IM chats, Facebook messages etc?

On my BB from homescreen I press M followed by alt followed by O. For all incoming replace O with I
    03-18-12 07:57 AM
    The keyboard makes it faster, anybody that hasn't bothered to learn the shortcuts is seriously missing out.

Example, how do you get WP7 to show you a list of absolutelly all outgoing messages, emails, calls, IM chats, Facebook messages etc?

On my BB from homescreen I press M followed by alt followed by O. For all incoming replace O with I
    Keyboard makes typing faster, although WP7 touch kb is very good, but I never used nor needed to use shortcuts.

Honestly, I've never even thought about doing what you describe as an example... and I have multiple email inboxes, im chats, etc going.
    03-18-12 08:28 AM
    How do you link inboxes on a BB? How do you WLM or FB chat on one without installing a third party app?

Nothing to compete with Zune, or SkyDrive.
    If it's a battle of ecosystems BB lost already.

RIM always had significantly more share than MS so it's no surprise that they have significantly mor market share now. It does not mean their products are superior. They aren't.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    03-18-12 09:36 AM
    How do you link inboxes on a BB? How do you WLM or FB chat on one without installing a third party app?

Nothing to compete with Zune, or SkyDrive.
    If it's a battle of ecosystems BB lost already.

RIM always had significantly more share than MS so it's no surprise that they have significantly mor market share now. It does not mean their products are superior. They aren't.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express
    Windows Live Messenger and Facebook with Facebook Chat are native apps, they come with the OS, check your facts mate. In fact I had to delete WLM as it installed it automatically.

All Inboxes link automatically into the Messages folder.
    03-18-12 09:47 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD