for 95% of the world, I agree with you, but as a sort of bizarre aside I do actually like this system when I'm in a very slow connection area (40ish or less Kbps edge connections in rural Afghanistan for example) when you're on BlackBerry Messenger it feels like you still have a completely usable connection, including sending and receiving pictures. the 2 MB high res versions of photos really aren't necessary for the majority of pictures sent - or at least you can live without them - if you get a quick low res image.

personally I'd like BlackBerry Messenger to have an option to automatically fetch high resolution photos or even something slightly heuristic like auto sending high resolution photos if both sides of the conversation are on EVDO or HSPA or faster connections, otherwise drop back to the tiered resolution method.
    04-06-14 04:23 AM
    Why you don't look at it as more sufficient and faster to get you going? Transferring 20kb is definitely faster than transferring 2 or 3 megabytes. It gets the job done. And it gets it done faster than the almighty WhatsApp. Maybe BlackBerry needs to include some tutorials to teach the average user about the hidden secrets

Posted via CB10
    "almighty WhatsApp" LOL. Not here to say Whatsapp is "better" than BBM. But... in this particular feature, I think Whatsapp does work in a way that matches user expectations much better than BBM.

Websites have used "progressive" downloads for ages. You initially get a "fast" low rez image, but eventually it "clears up" to display a crisper version. If BBM uses a system that initially sends a low rez version while the higher rez version completes... then no problem. This issue is that -- as it stands -- we only get the very-low-rez version.
    LuisCast, drkpitt and menshawy like this.
    04-06-14 05:03 AM
    for 95% of the world, I agree with you, but as a sort of bizarre aside I do actually like this system when I'm in a very slow connection area (40ish or less Kbps edge connections in rural Afghanistan for example) when you're on BlackBerry Messenger it feels like you still have a completely usable connection, including sending and receiving pictures. the 2 MB high res versions of photos really aren't necessary for the majority of pictures sent - or at least you can live without them - if you get a quick low res image.

personally I'd like BlackBerry Messenger to have an option to automatically fetch high resolution photos or even something slightly heuristic like auto sending high resolution photos if both sides of the conversation are on EVDO or HSPA or faster connections, otherwise drop back to the tiered resolution method.
    I think BBM should, by default, work in the way that the 95% of people expect. If you could alter your BBM settings so that it works in a way that makes sense for the other 5%, then that would be awesome. Problem is, BBM is apparently optimized for the 5% (or more accurately, its optimized for the 95% of people who lived in 2007), while the 95% of 2014 mobile users get a poorer user experience than they could be getting.
    04-06-14 05:08 AM
    Agree completely..
    The preview should be clear and crisp image that we don't have to request from sender.
    Of course until we want a better resolution, then the option of request from sender for a HD or HQ images should be an easy task with a single touch and easy access from receiver.

Posted via Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2947
    04-06-14 05:32 AM
    OK. A bit dramatic lol. But, in usability terms for 2014, not OVERLY off the mark.

But it's easily far worse than any other messaging app I've ever used. And not just a bit worst, but literally 10s of times worst.

Not only does the recipient have to long press a pic to start the involved process of getting a high rez pic, but they then have to know to select "request high quality". This is is completely undiscoverable to 99.999% of users unless they have come to CrackBerry to specifically figure out how to do this....

BUT!!!! It gets better...

When the recipient requests the high rez version (get this!), the SENDER has to be online to ALLOW the download of the high rez version!!! So if you send a pic that your friend doesn't look at until a couple of days later, they can't see it at full rez unless you are both ONLINE and you are available to respond to the "allow high rez pic download" BBM request.

I would continue with a string of insults about how bad this is, but, I'm sure that the simple description of how the system *actually works* should be enough to get that same point across.

On Whatsapp, here's what we do:

1. Select picture.
    2. Click Send
    3. High rez version of pic appears on recipient's phone.

That's it.

Posted via CB10
    I agree.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 06:43 AM
    "almighty WhatsApp" LOL. Not here to say Whatsapp is "better" than BBM. But... in this particular feature, I think Whatsapp does work in a way that matches user expectations much better than BBM.

Websites have used "progressive" downloads for ages. You initially get a "fast" low rez image, but eventually it "clears up" to display a crisper version. If BBM uses a system that initially sends a low rez version while the higher rez version completes... then no problem. This issue is that -- as it stands -- we only get the very-low-rez version.
    Truth to be told is competitors IM platforms have done and handled things better than BBM did. The UI, customization, themes, colours, visual effects and file sharing features are not well taken care of in BBM. But the core features of BBM are no way to be compared with the others. I never heard so clear voice quality as in BBM voice for example and same goes for the video call quality. It's freaky how the voice quality is, it's more real than reality! And it's more secure than any other IM platform. I'm pretty sure all these concerns are going to be addressed in following releases but they just have to go faster

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 06:50 AM
    BBM is perfect for me right now since I'm on a limited data plan.

My friends send me a lot of random pics on BBM. From the 15-20 pics sent, I request HQ for maybe 3-4, and I have control over what to download on my phone, this saves data.

WhatsApp on the other hand is very annoying. I get back home from work, and I check my phone only to see loads of unwanted high quality pics and videos automatically downloaded to my phone without my permission. I have to go thru each one and delete the ones I don't like. Some videos are 16mb so it's not data friendly.

So in my case, I really hope BBM doesn't become like WhatsApp. It's perfect as it is, the long press for HQ on BBM is much more preferable and less of a hassle than manually sorting thru and deleting unwanted pics and videos from WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    Zirak, Bluenoser63 and togarika like this.
    04-06-14 06:58 AM
    Ima gonna chime in here with a couple little things. First off, I really don't want to automatically see a hi-res pic of your dog or shoes or latest PS4 game cover. If I do want a high resolution pic of any of those totally fascinating things, don't worry I'll let you know via BBM and REQUEST IT!!! And secondly, life is all about choices and making decisions that are right for you. If BBM isn't your thing, move on to Whatsapp or whatever, I'm cool with that. Stop whining about stuff that you're not in control of, make your decision and be done with it and BTW OP, I don't want any hi-res pics of your privates..I'll request a high resolution pic IF I SO CHOSE thank you very much!!
    jaydee5799, Nharzhool and togarika like this.
    04-06-14 07:05 AM
    Yes its 2014 but you don't live in a country where data is slow. Where BBM is popular these countries have terrible mobile services at time... the difference between getting a low res picture and a high can be minutes.
    jaydee5799 and Nharzhool like this.
    04-06-14 07:29 AM
    In an age of lte speeds and limited data plans having the option to not send a high resolution image is preferable to most.

Posted via CB10
    Nharzhool likes this.
    04-06-14 08:12 AM
    Couldn't there just be the options: Send Compressed Picture or Send High Quality Picture

No?

Quality Poultry - Channel PIN: C004B64D1
    LuisCast and Yatezy like this.
    04-06-14 08:34 AM
    OK. A bit dramatic lol. But, in usability terms for 2014, not OVERLY off the mark.

But it's easily far worse than any other messaging app I've ever used. And not just a bit worst, but literally 10s of times worst.

Not only does the recipient have to long press a pic to start the involved process of getting a high rez pic, but they then have to know to select "request high quality". This is is completely undiscoverable to 99.999% of users unless they have come to CrackBerry to specifically figure out how to do this....

When the recipient requests the high rez version (get this!), the SENDER has to be online to ALLOW the download of the high rez version!!! So if you send a pic that your friend doesn't look at until a couple of days later, they can't see it at full rez unless you are both ONLINE and you are available to respond to the "allow high rez pic download" BBM request.

I would continue with a string of insults about how bad this is, but, I'm sure that the simple description of how the system *actually works* should be enough to get that same point across.

1. Select picture.
    2. Click Send

That's it.

Posted via CB10
    This is not such a bad thing for people who have limited data and they need to hog their data, remember it takes data from both ends, so if someone is requesting a 16mb file to be uploaded from my phone and I have 24 mb left which I want to keep for a couple of days till I buy more, I reckon I should have the ability to authorise it or reject it....
    04-06-14 10:05 AM
    I agree with the OP, I'd like maybe a pop up after you've selected the image that asks if you want to send the original full rez picture or a compressed version. A lot of people don't know about the capability to request an HQ version.

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    04-06-14 10:19 AM
    Maybe an option for sending and receiving for low/med/hi res,slightly better usage of the swiping motion would help too, better flyouts for users to find options.
    Personally this is not a problem for me, I am looking at a picture on a phone. It's not too difficult to ask the sender to send a high res. Just because some people have/can waste money on unlimited data does not mean that a lot of us are too cheap to do it.
    04-06-14 10:41 AM
    Do we really need to be sending 2-5 MB memes every time? This would cost so much when travelling. I probably keep 1 in 50 pictures I receive, in which case I request high quality because I'm saving the picture. The rest of the time, the pictures are for a one time look and I don't care nor do I want to receive large files and the quality as is works just fine.

For those of you who are transferring pictures of weddings, parties, or any other events, use the Dropbox feature or request HQ. Please don't ruin it for the rest of us who know how to use all the features in BBM.
    04-06-14 10:54 AM
    The initial image should use less compression, and there should be an option to "Auto-Respond Yes/No" to Hi-Res requests.
    SparkyBC likes this.
    04-06-14 11:06 AM
    I am another one that doesn't want a contact to send me a HQ image when in the vast majority of images are just fine and I want to see them quickly. I don't want to wait for a HQ photo that I don't want to see. If it is of any use, then I can required it using the long press (which is part of the SOP of BB10). Sounds like the OP works for a phone company and they want you to use more data so they can get more money.
    04-06-14 11:24 AM
    Why not just give the option to send high resolution? Then the whiners can stop whining. I actually prefer the compressed photo and don't mind requests for high res and vice versa. I don't have a lot of data in my plan and I would rather request only those photos that I actually want. I don't need people spamming with photos just to eat up my data.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 11:41 AM

1. Select picture.
    2. Click Send

That's it.

Posted via CB10
    Not everyone has an unlimited data plan to send pics through or are always on WiFi. I would prefer the choice to either allow or not a Hi Res request.
    I do agree though, there should be better documentation of this feature for new users.
    04-06-14 04:01 PM

1. Select picture.
    2. Click Send

That's it.

Posted via CB10
    Whatsapp sends low resolution pictures....do agree with you that sending high resolution picture should be made easier on BBM.

Posted via CB10
    Nharzhool likes this.
    04-06-14 04:30 PM
    BBM is perfect for me right now since I'm on a limited data plan.

My friends send me a lot of random pics on BBM. From the 15-20 pics sent, I request HQ for maybe 3-4, and I have control over what to download on my phone, this saves data.

WhatsApp on the other hand is very annoying. I get back home from work, and I check my phone only to see loads of unwanted high quality pics and videos automatically downloaded to my phone without my permission. I have to go thru each one and delete the ones I don't like. Some videos are 16mb so it's not data friendly.

So in my case, I really hope BBM doesn't become like WhatsApp. It's perfect as it is, the long press for HQ on BBM is much more preferable and less of a hassle than manually sorting thru and deleting unwanted pics and videos from WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    Now sis, you know that's a big fat lie...

You apologists can all take your seats now
    04-06-14 04:33 PM
    Why is sender consent "very useful" in order for the recipient to get a (possibly compressed image) that looks clear and crisp on their device (versus a 20-30 kilobyte pic that looks pixelated on their device).

Please explain. (Keeping in mind that this is 14 years into "the year 2000" lol). These days just the javascript and CSS on a webpage is typically more than 20-30 KB!

Even at 1 megabit per second, you can send 122 kilobytes in a single second.
    It's useful if you're roaming or are data constricted...not hard to understand...however, it should be able to set an app setting that you can turn on and off, it shouldn't be with each event or pic.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 07:20 PM
    I think it should allow an option to auto download HQ pictures whenever we are on wifi. And an option of easy to see button to download HQ when we request it

Posted via Astro on Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.2947
    04-06-14 07:24 PM
    I think a better compression algorithm is all that is needed here. Let the "hidden" HQ request be reserved for full quality transfer (essentially a shortcut to 'file transfer' for that image).

If you sacrifice some data savings by providing a slightly better mid-range compressed preview image, not many will ever use the HQ request, thus offsetting the initial loss in data savings in the long run.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 07:41 PM
    All this debate. The answer is simple. Make it freaking optional.

Enable<>Disable. The people who want HQ always can enable it. Those who don't want it can leave it disabled. No one should have to worry about data sizes, compression algorithms, or any of that crap. Stuff should just work and those who do care, should have options that allow for adjustments.

I don't give a damn about my data plan or saving money on it. I don't give a damn about compression algorithms or the size of the the files or if I'm roaming. What I do give a damn about though is that when I want to see a HQ image, I want to see a HQ image and not have to jump through hoops to see it.

Set it and forget it.
    kbz1960, jonesy39 and sebstarr like this.
    04-07-14 04:14 AM
69 123