I'm sorry but you're kidding yourselves. This might have been relevant years ago when people bought BlackBerry solely for BBM like teenagers but these days nearly every second teenager has an iPhone or an Android device. BBM stopped being a primary player when Whatsapp, Kik, Facebook messenger, Line, LiveChat etc was able to offer cross-platform messaging. There is no reason to buy a BB10 device after experiencing BBM on Android or Whatsapp because our platform doesn't have anything really to offer for the younger generation. Most of BB10's features are for prosumers and powerusers, not 14 year old girls. They cannot even Instagram on BB10 unless they sideload it and try taking a selfie with Instagram sideloaded and it doesn't work properly as the image is flipped upside down while capturing even if you rotate the phone. BlackBerry is considered uncool compared to the likes of the iPhone and BBM isn't going to change that.

Having skype doesn't make me want to go out and buy Windows. Having Instagram doesn't make me want to have a Facebook. Stop kidding yourselves and wake up to reality. Our platform has virtually nothing to offer someone my age or younger that a competitor doesn't have unless they really need a a real time operating system, blackberry balance and whatnot. BlackBerry Hub is amazing but you dont' see the whole world pissing themselves over it like a wet dog like they do for iPhones
    10-28-13 12:14 PM
    You forgot to include the first couple of sentences saying how you love Blackberry, list all of the Blackberry smartphones you have owned over the years, and how BB10 is hands down the best mobile OS available.
    10-28-13 12:17 PM
    I don't think the point of BBM going cross platform was ever making people want BB10.

And as for the rest of your argument, we'll agree to disagree.
    10-28-13 12:17 PM
    I'm sorry but you're kidding yourselves. This might have been relevant years ago when people bought BlackBerry solely for BBM like teenagers but these days nearly every second teenager has an iPhone or an Android device. BBM stopped being a primary player when Whatsapp, Kik, Facebook messenger, Line, LiveChat etc was able to offer cross-platform messaging. There is no reason to buy a BB10 device after experiencing BBM on Android or Whatsapp because our platform doesn't have anything really to offer for the younger generation. Most of BB10's features are for prosumers and powerusers, not 14 year old girls. They cannot even Instagram on BB10 unless they sideload it and try taking a selfie with Instagram sideloaded and it doesn't work properly as the image is flipped upside down while capturing even if you rotate the phone. BlackBerry is considered uncool compared to the likes of the iPhone and BBM isn't going to change that.

Having skype doesn't make me want to go out and buy Windows. Having Instagram doesn't make me want to have a Facebook. Stop kidding yourselves and wake up to reality. Our platform has virtually nothing to offer someone my age or younger that a competitor doesn't have unless they really need a a real time operating system, blackberry balance and whatnot. BlackBerry Hub is amazing but you dont' see the whole world pissing themselves over it like a wet dog like they do for iPhones
    fasten your seat belt

this is going to be a bumpy ride

best of luck
    10-28-13 12:20 PM
    You forgot to include the first couple of sentences saying how you love Blackberry, list all of the Blackberry smartphones you have owned over the years, and how BB10 is hands down the best mobile OS available.
    I love BlackBerry, my smartphone list is my signature and BB10 is hands down the best mobile OS available but the app ecosystem and features people want just aren't there.

Even the best keyboard on the market doesn't mean anything to a 14 year old when to them its all the same and all their friends use iMessage and they cant on BB10. A lack of something cancels out the positives.
    10-28-13 12:23 PM

You are absolutely correct, however get ready for the rabid Crackberry folks to come after you. I pray for you

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 12:26 PM
    Overall, the cross platform launch to my mind was a way of helping BlackBerry to corner more of the MDM market. Now along with BES 10, BlackBerry can offer customers a secure messaging application that also keeps data on their network. It's a value added that will be built up: imagine the potential for screen share as a collaboration tool. There are larger forces at work than trying to appeal to 14 year olds. Besides, as for the younger generation: give them features they can use (and abuse) and they'll come.
    10-28-13 12:27 PM
    Nobody said it would. What are you talking about? You missed the whole point of BB going cross platform.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-28-13 12:27 PM
    I suspect that BBM being available on iPhone and Android will, on balance, cost BlackBerry sales. Some few might be enticed to consider a BB10 device, but I predict that number will be dwarfed by the number who were only hanging on to their BlackBerries for BBM, and who can now feel free to move on to iPhone or Android.
    Rob1 likes this.
    10-28-13 12:29 PM
    I don't think BBMx was launched as an aid to sell BB10 phones.
    undone, gfondeur and wincyUt like this.
    10-28-13 12:30 PM
    Nobody said it would. What are you talking about? You missed the whole point of BB going cross platform.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    I'm making this topic because I've read like endless posts about people on this site thinking it will sell more BB10 phones and make people wanna switch.
    10-28-13 12:31 PM
    A lot of people are saying it will. Look around the forum.
    21stNow likes this.
    10-28-13 12:32 PM
    The playbook is the best tablet out there!
    kbz1960, JeepBB and anon(1852343) like this.
    10-28-13 12:32 PM
    But...but...it creates mindshare. And mindshare pays bills.

I'm with you on the title, OP.
    10-28-13 12:33 PM
    Apparently, investors agree with the OP since the stock price hasn't budged despite the successful launch. If it's a good thing, investors usually don't wait for it to be monetized. Remember, the share price more than doubled before BB10 was even released.

I have no idea what the purpose of cross platform BBM is but I'm pretty sure it will be a pretty useful demo in Apple Stores and other retail sites: "You're using a Blackberry, right now? Have you seen the iPhone BBM app? All you need to do is login and you will be able to keep all of your BBM contacts. We can do it right now, before you leave."
    gfondeur and Grumblegrumble like this.
    10-28-13 12:39 PM
    I have no idea what the purpose of cross platform BBM is but I'm pretty sure it will be a pretty useful demo in Apple Stores and other retail sites: "You're using a Blackberry, right now? Have you seen the iPhone BBM app? All you need to do is login and you will be able to keep all of your BBM contacts. We can do it right now, before you leave."
    Never crossed my mind, but yeah you are indeed correct in every aspect.
    bbq10l and Grumblegrumble like this.
    10-28-13 12:40 PM
    How is BlackBerry going to monetize xBBM?
    Advertising?
    kbz1960, kevinnugent and JeepBB like this.
    10-28-13 12:42 PM
    A lot of people are saying it will. Look around the forum.
    And there are a lot more saying it doesn't matter.
    10-28-13 12:43 PM
    And there are a lot more saying it doesn't matter.
    Yep, including the OP.
    10-28-13 12:44 PM
    Just to share to you guys. All of my friends who used to have 2 phones.. ditched their Blackberry's. Now theyre using their Iphones and Androids.. just saying..

Posted via CB10
    KingRichard likes this.
    10-28-13 12:46 PM
    I wanted BBM long before I wanted BB10. Not sure what you are trying to say. I don't think BBM going cross platform and driving sales of BB10 devices was the goal. I think the goal was to bring the best IM service to as many people as possible.
    wincyUt likes this.
    10-28-13 12:48 PM
    Why would BBM make someone want BB10? One is an app and the other is an OS.
    wincyUt likes this.
    10-28-13 12:51 PM
    One thing I would like to say...my sideloaded instagram does not take rotated selfies lol, and well op do u think when we have instagram clients, and vine clients, we would appeal more to the young ones...keep in mind I'm only 20 lol, but I see ur point about bbmx however.

Posted via CB10
    10-28-13 12:52 PM
    The vice-versa is also not true, people won't leave BB because of BBM anymore, because the rest of BB users nowadays are using it because they like it.

wyrdfool and Grumblegrumble like this.
    10-28-13 12:59 PM
    Even though it would be nice to have some competition I have to agree with the OP. The first experience I had with BBM was a disaster with not wanting to launch. After a couple days I re-downloaded it and sent out invitation. Non of my 143 friends installed it and told me they rather use whatsapp.

As for Blackberry it self. I saw my first Blackberry Z10 in a bar 2 days ago. Beautiful device! The bar tender who owned it brought it back from Canada and everybody who sat at the bar tried it but what was interesting nobody (We are talking average people, holiday family resort) knew how to get back from the Gallery back to the main menu and asked where is the menu button. You might call them stupid etc... but those kind of things shows you how peoples mindset works. I found it rather interesting.
    10-28-13 01:05 PM
208 123 ...