Hey all, my brother is stationed in Germany. Mom gave him her 9000 why he is in the states on leave. My question is, can he still use the bbm and apps on wifi without service or a bis over there when he heads back next weekend?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-10 10:39 PM
    As far as I know, if your 9000 is still active with the Blackberry data plan. All RIM applications will work either through your carrier or your Wifi. I you don't then only third part applications like Opera mini for example will work with your Wifi.
    Last edited by romman; 08-24-10 at 10:50 PM.
    08-24-10 10:47 PM
    I am pretty sure my parents deactivate his sim while overseas to keep him from using it. They retain the number and line but only pay like $15.00 a month and turn it on when he's here.

08-24-10 11:14 PM
    I believe the newer bbm 5.0 has the capability to work solely over wifi.

08-24-10 11:36 PM
    Just turned off my mobile network and activated wifi and bbm and browser worked fine. So he should be fine as long as he has the latest bbm

08-24-10 11:39 PM
    BBM won't work without a BlackBerry Data Plan. BBM needs access to RIM's servers for it to function (like many of it's apps: Facebook, AppWorld, Twitter, other IM clients).

The wifi symbol must be white (connected to RIM), if it's grey (not connected to RIM) it won't work. With the wifi symbol grey you are still able to use the hotspot browser and other 3rd party browsers (OperaMini and Bolt), but RIM's apps will not.

eve6er69 this is why you can still use BBM because you have the proper data plan on your account. Try deleting your service books (just the wifi ones will probably work) and then try to use BBM with only wifi. You'll notice that it won't work, but your hotspot browser still will.
    08-24-10 11:53 PM
    Has he thought of unlocking it and using a prepaid local SIM card?

08-25-10 12:20 AM
    Thanks. CB heads are the greatest.

08-25-10 06:07 AM
    He can take the sim card out and bbm works with wifi alone. Wouldn't this be the same as no data plan being the card is out?

08-25-10 06:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD